UKC

Best Wheelset for under £160

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ActionSte 15 Sep 2016
Sadly after 3 snapped spokes in the space of a month, my old rear wheel is probably past it. To add to the sadness im fairly skint so need to go budget. The bike is a fairly cheap bianchi nirone7 with the original reparto corse wheelset which arent incredible, but i wouldnt want to be downgrading if possible.

Any suggestions on a reasonable budget wheelset?
dunirie 15 Sep 2016
In reply to ActionSte:

mavic aksium?
 neuromancer 15 Sep 2016
In reply to ActionSte:

eBay shimano ultegra?
 gethin_allen 16 Sep 2016
In reply to ActionSte:

I bought some fulcrum racing 5 LG s for this price, they are significantly better than my stock giant wheels but nothing amazing and the shimano compatible versions are actually 100g heavier than they claim. If you aren't bothered by campag/shimano mix you could find campag scirocco 35mm wheels for you budget for the slight aero gain otherwise I'd go for the superstar cycles pave 28 wheels. They get amazing reviews and are proper light for the price. http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/pave-28-ultra-11speed-wheelset-2024.h...
Although they are currently £200 they have been as low as £170 in the past.
 routrax 16 Sep 2016
In reply to ActionSte:

Just get it rebuilt, with stronger spokes, if need be. Probably cost £40-50.
 LittleRob 16 Sep 2016
In reply to ActionSte:

I've got a set of Fulcrum Racing 7 on an old Allez that I think are good (for the money!)
 nniff 16 Sep 2016
In reply to ActionSte:

Fulcrum Racing 5 and 7 have 30% off on Wiggle at the moment. Plenty of nominally superstar bikes have journeyman Fulcrum 5 or 7 wheels on them. £164 and £120 respectively

or Shimano RS11, also 25% off

Go to Wiggle, set the filter to you budget and fill your boots.
-----

Or Mavic Aksiums from Decathlon - £150 with tyres, £110 without. Same price at Wiggle without the tyres
 VS4b 16 Sep 2016
In reply to ActionSte:

Have a look at rose bikes. They have some good prices on hand built. I got miche (branded as extreme) hubs on cxp33 for well less than that and they had lots of different options to look at. Wheels have been very good indeed if a bit unglamorous.
 drsdave 16 Sep 2016
In reply to ActionSte:
For that price I'd defo go with MAVIC, and if your a well built guy I'd very much recommend MAVIC.

Grey area 17 Sep 2016
In reply to ActionSte:

I have Mavic Kysrium and would recommend them, they're great. If you can stretch to £240 wiggle have a set including a set of Yksion tyres which seems like a good deal to me.
Rigid Raider 17 Sep 2016
In reply to ActionSte:

If you're in Lancashire I've got some little used wheels in the garage that you could have for £100. 8 speed though.
 tobykeep 17 Sep 2016
In reply to ActionSte:

I've got a pair of Fulcrum racing 5s I'm keen to sell. 1 year old and they've literally done about 400miles. £60 if you fancy them. I thought they were great, but got a new bike which came with new wheels soon after I got them. Feel free to message of you want some photos etc.

Toby
 PeterM 18 Sep 2016
In reply to ActionSte:

If you are after tyres too, this is a good deal. I have the AR 30's and they are great.
https://www.cycledivision.co.uk/cero-ar24-alloy-road-wheelset-bundle

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...