UKC

mortons neuroma surgery

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
gebster 20 Oct 2016
Hi, I have suffered from bi lateral mortons neuroma ( both feet) for almost 4 years now though most severely, last 2 and a half years. Unfortunately insoles and a year of cortisone injections have been unsuccessful and now have appointment 7th December to speak to surgeon who believes I am a suitable candidate for surgical incision. Looking for so advice on people who have had surgery for this , pros / cons. Thanks in advance
cragtaff 21 Oct 2016
In reply to gebster:

A colleague of mine has had the surgery, the result has been excellent she is now fully hill fit whereas prior to surgery she was in constant discomfort. I don't recall her experiencing any post operative problems at all.
 Baron Weasel 22 Oct 2016
In reply to gebster:

I'm going to be talking to my Dr about surgery on my neuroma. Cortisone injections have helped, but I still can't put my rock boots on and that's pissing me off. Good luck, keep us posted how you get on!
 earlsdonwhu 22 Oct 2016
In reply to gebster:
I can't comment on conventional surgery but I opted to have cryosurgery done privately at the Barn Clinic in Sheffield. Check into on their website. Not cheap but seems to have worked and was minimally invasive.
I believe that even after conventional! surgery, the problem can return on the 'stump'that's !eft.
Post edited at 11:47
 pec 22 Oct 2016
In reply to gebster:

My father in law had the surgery several years ago and hasn't had any problems since.
Let us know how you get on because I've got a Mortons Neuroma now (following an ankle fusion) and the consultant told me if it gets worse he would operate on me.
Removed User 22 Oct 2016
In reply to gebster:

I've got a bouldering/climbing friend who had the surgery and I was frankly amazed at how quickly he was back at the Works, he's never mentioned it since so I'm guessing it doesn't give him any problems at all now, he runs, walks and climbs the same as he did before. He's on the forum, so may answer your question in person, I've forgotten his forum name though!
 Billhook 23 Oct 2016
In reply to gebster:
My wife had what the doctor claimed was 'Mortons Neuroma'.

So she had the Op.

The operation made no/little difference and on balance probably worse as the pain now commenced after walking just a matter of yards and for some years after the op, there was also pain at the point of surgery.

After trying a number of different walking footwear she discovered a podiatrist, who made her a pair of customised insoles for her shoes/feet and the problem & pain immediately vanished.

As far as I recall the podiatrist also told her than he'd had previous patients/customers who'd also been told they'd got Morton's Neuroma and they'd had custom insoles made and the problem feet/pain disappeared for them too without them having to have the operation.

Like doctors and surgeons not every one has the same skill, but it may be worth finding a good podiatrist first.
Post edited at 08:21
 icnoble 23 Oct 2016
In reply to gebster:

My wife had surgery for mortons neuromas on both feet about 20 years ago, she found it a great help. Despite the op it has not enabled her to wear mountaineering boots of any time as they are too stiff. She finds mbt's very good for every day wear.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...