UKC

Home Wall Complete!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
trimspokenabe 28 Oct 2016

Hi guys, it's been a little while since my original post here:
http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=648642

I've now completed my wall (and the rest of the gym), and thought I'd post some pics of how it turned out.

It was certainly not a quick job, and the sanding, filling, painting (texture) took twice as long as the actual build- but at least now it's complete and feels great to train on.

I haven't set any real routes yet, just put the holds up to test and work out what is best before setting them.

Thanks for all the help in creating my wall.
https://imgur.com/a/N2ydP
Post edited at 16:38
 KP 28 Oct 2016
In reply to Supernova:

Looks really smart! nice work
 Greasy Prusiks 28 Oct 2016
In reply to Supernova:

That looks great! Nice one.
 KS132 28 Oct 2016
In reply to Supernova:
This looks great. Would very much like to do something similar.
Removed User 28 Oct 2016
In reply to Supernova:

That looks really smart. I think you'll find that you'll want to work particular moves and practising certain movements, so you'll end up setting to suit.
trimspokenabe 29 Oct 2016
In reply to Supernova:

Thanks all-
Here's a bit more detail on the build if anyone is interested:

- I used Coo-var Suregrip paint for the finish, which gives it a really good look. I bought 1L tins of each colour, but needed more, so ended up getting 2.5L in addition for the white and black as it needed 2 coats to get an even textured finish. The paint works really well for grip when trying to find a foot hold and I'm glad I went to the extra expense. The downside is that I find I have to use long sleeve shirts on the wall, to protect against scrapes while i'm starting out.

- The volumes are from holdz are are really excellent. They made a huge difference to the wall providing a lot more interest given it's relatively small size (3m x 2.4m). I must say the overall service from holdz was top notch and would recommend them, and will use them again. My favourite part is the large diamond, which I've positioned to leave a tapered crack for hand and foot holds, giving a seated start option.

For anyone looking to build a wall of their own, I'd go for it- so much training potential!

Lornajkelly 29 Oct 2016
In reply to Supernova:

Wow, you've made a fantastic job of that!
 WillCass 29 Oct 2016
In reply to Supernova:

What have you used for matting on the floor please? It's the last thing I've got to sort for our home wall.

Cheers

Will
 cliff shasby 29 Oct 2016
In reply to Supernova:

Looks good..well done..this is my mini one in my living room...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z7c0prdwxbmc4sv/Photo%2029-10-2016%2C%2014%2015%2...
In reply to WillCass:

Flooring is 500mm x 500mm playground rubber safety tiles (40mm) around the edge, and judo mats (40mm) in the middle, which provide a good base floor which a crash mat could be added to for any higher climbing.
In reply to cliff shasby:
"Looks good..well done..this is my mini one in my living room..."

Thanks and nice work on that, I like that it would always be staring at you for additional training!
Post edited at 16:44
 Wsdconst 29 Oct 2016
In reply to Supernova:

Have to say I clicked on your link expecting the usual crappy diy effort of some random bits of wood nailed together badly, but you've both surprised and impressed me. Well done, it's looks really good and now I'm jealous.
 Stuart S 29 Oct 2016
In reply to Supernova:

That's a work of art - you've done a brilliant job, especially considering the space constraints you had to work around! I'd almost be reluctant to start climbing on it and mess it up with chalk and rubber!
trimspokenabe 30 Oct 2016
In reply to Wsdconst:

> Have to say I clicked on your link expecting the usual crappy diy effort of some random bits of wood nailed together badly, but you've both surprised and impressed me. Well done, it's looks really good and now I'm jealous.

Thanks Wsdconst,- you wouldn't have been jealous of the the prep needed to get that finish thought- it was 2 weeks of part-time DIY hideousness!

I'm really pleased with how it turned out, it's a very commanding structure and has enough odd angles to draw you in.
trimspokenabe 30 Oct 2016
In reply to Stuart S:
Cheers Stuart- I know!

First time i used it I could see scuff marks, but then thought hey well it's made for training on.. so I've gone full Rocky IV mindset and treating it like a training barn to be fully utilised!

Appreciate your help in getting the design done.

Post edited at 16:59

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...