UKC

Torres del Paine - a few questions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 chris_B 14 Nov 2016
Has anyone climbed the Bonington-Whillans route on the Central Tower of Paine in Patagonia? If so, a few quick questions:

- If you had to give it a British trad grade what would you say? E2?
- How much of it did you free? Do people generally free/French free/aid the hard bits?
- What's the fixed gear like? Are any belays in place?
- Can you recommend a resource for a good topo?

- Are there any other routes in the VS-E2 range that anyone would especially recommend?

Thanks in advance,
Chris
 Adam Long 14 Nov 2016
In reply to chris_B:

Not climbed in Paine but passed through. Easiest route on the Torres is the south ridge of the North Tower - so from the same col as the route above. Ideal warm-up/ iffy weather alternative. Monzino Route (South Ridge) North Tower of Paine (TD)

There is more to go at in the Valle del Frances south of the Cuernos - the obvious Shark's fin is supposed to be reasonable and good. Obviously the weather is likely to limit what you can do.
OP chris_B 14 Nov 2016
In reply to Adam Long:

Thanks. Already have Monzino and Shark's fin on my list.

Have you done the monzino? Have seen a topo that says it's 400m climbing and takes 10/12 hours so a bit confused! Maybe 12 hours from the valley with 400m climbing from the col?
 Adam Long 14 Nov 2016
In reply to chris_B:

No, I had vague hopes of soloing it but didn't get the weather. 400m of climbing sounds right, I'd guess it might even be less than that from the col. Word is there are only a couple of technical pitches 5.9/5.10, the rest is 4th class/ easy rock climbing.

No idea on timing, I got up to the base of the approach gully in maybe four hours from the roadhead, but I was dawdling. I'm sure it would be doable in a day from the valley if you were fit, but some familiarity would help. Ten years ago there was a trekkers' hut below the Torres viewpoint (bunks, warden etc), and a climbers' shack near the top of the woods maybe forty minutes higher. Another hour or so would get you to a bivvy in the boulders below the towers.

I think with the permits and town scene vs Fitz Roy, Paine gets a lot less attention.
 Damo 14 Nov 2016
In reply to chris_B:

> ... the monzino? Have seen a topo that says it's 400m climbing and takes 10/12 hours so a bit confused!

I've not climbed it, only trekked there, but have seen and heard similarly differing views. Try these, if you haven't already:

https://svpatagonia.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/monzino-torre-norte.jpg

https://www.mountainproject.com/v/monzino-route-on-north-tower/106662007
 Tobes 14 Nov 2016
In reply to chris_B:

Hi, I only hiked around Paine park (Q circuit) before spending a month based in El Chatern to climb in Fitz Roy group earlier this year. Have you got the permits sorted for Paine park? As I understand it there's a bit more to organise in Chile than Argentina, it was recommended to get the paper work ready a few months before arriving with details of what you intend to climb etc. Administration processes can be very slow there!

I got given a link to some topos for Torres del Paine area from some Chileans, will try and dig it out. What time of year you going?

PM me if you want more info

Toby

Tom Last 15 Nov 2016
In reply to chris_B:
Hi Chris.

I've climbed the Monzino - at least I've climbed past the difficulties, though we didn't top out.

The information here from others is good.

There are a few not insurmountable hurdles to climbing in Paine and it's a bit more expedition style than climbing in El Chalten as I understand it, though the trails to access the park are VERY busy in high season.

From Puerto Natales, you need to get a bus into the park to Hotel las Torres (there are a couple of points of entry to the park, but this is the one you want). From there it's about a 2-4 hour (depending on fitness/loads) walk uphill to Campamento las Torres, where you can camp (paying) if you wish (book in advance for this one) and where you have to show your climbers' permit before you're allowed entry to Valle del Silencio for the towers. From there as Adam says it's about 40min to an hour to Campamento Japonese where there is a rudimentary hut and campsites in the woods by the river. It's sheltered here, so if climbing on the towers for a few days or more then it's a good place to be based.
From here it's about another 3/4 hrs up the moraine to the base of the talus beneath the tower, there are a few bivi caves here (Bonington Cave) on the edge of a small snowfield. A better bivi (Whillans Box Camp) can be had at the top of the talus below the wall north wall of the north tower (Taller del Sol, etc.), the bivi didn't feel particularly exposed to rockfall and is used frequently. To find this bivi, look to the top of the talus beneath the tower and you'll see two spurs, one extending from mid way across the tower and one extending from where the tower bounds the gully. Head in a roundabout fashion up about 1000-1500 feet of talus towards the first spur that extends from the middle of the tower until you find the bivi about 100metres below where the spur becomes well defined beneath the wall.
From this bivi, cross to the next spur that bounds the gully. Cross the spur easily and drop into the gully (don't climb the spur, tempting as it looks it's a dead end) at about Scottish III if icy, or vdiff, maybe severe if dry. Try not to hang about in the gully.

The Bonington Whillans start from the gully part way up to the col.

For the Monzino, carry on to the mind-bendingly exposed col, from where a pitch of about HVS 5a precedes the crux pitch of about E1 5b. It's from here that we bailed on scary old bolts, but my pal (jammy git) went back the following week and finished it; he said the rest was piss.
So yeah, about 400m from the col. The 12 hours would be all told from the bivi I think, that would be very slow from the col.

The Bonington Whilans looks hard. I would imagine you'd end up having a very hard time if you were expecting an E2, especially if you haven't already done any other super massive remote alpine E2s and given that there's C2 (I think) on it for most people. It was a major achievement for some very accomplished Chilean climbers I know. It gave me more of a E4 kind of feeling Looking at it - but what do I know. You could always try to Monzino and see how you feel about it.

Permits are a pain. You have to contact Difrol which is the government border agency to get permission, otherwise you won't be allowed in the back country. It is best to give this a couple of months as previously mentioned. Basically write to them giving details of yourself, tell them you're an accomplished alpinist (better yet an accomplished andinista! ) and give them the dates you'll want to climb in the park - best to include the entirety of your trip. Write it in Spanish too, the permit doesn't cost anything btw.
You'll get sent the permit which you then have to get stamped at an office as you enter the park. Here it gets confusing. Basically you get dropped by one bus at the park administration, do the regular check in/watch safety video with all the hikers. Then you get on a different bus to a different administrative building where you speak to an officer who'll stamp your climbers permit (MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ALL ALPINE INSURANCE DOCUMENTS AND PASSPORT ON YOU AT THIS POINT!) then you get back on a bus back to the first administration from where another bus will take you to Hotel las Torres and the trail head. Also, some of these buses might be the same ones too and fro - it was confusing, but just ask around.

Puerto Natales is a fantastic town, genuinely brilliant little place. Next time I go I'll stay there and make short hits on the park I think.

There's plenty of other routes in the park, not much of it well documented (Google). Shark's Fin is apparently not as easy as everyone makes out, though I've not done it. Bader Valley is also immense and worth a look.

I'll try to find the Difrol link for you.

Hope that all helps and good luck!

Tom

PS, there's a couple of pics of the Monzino etc. on my gallery here.
Post edited at 08:51
 Tom Last 15 Nov 2016
In reply to chris_B:
PS. If you're definitely shooting for the Bonington Whillans, I'd bring ascenders/big wall gear and the accompanying knowledge, etc. This isn't necessary for The Monzino however.

Edit: Here's the DIFROL link.

http://www.difrol.gob.cl/autorizaciones/expediciones-de-andinismo-y-aventur...

Follow the Autorización de Expediciones hyperlink to register and state intentions etc.

Tom
Post edited at 09:06
 Tom Last 15 Nov 2016
In reply to chris_B:

Correction to above info. When I spoke about the talus beneath the north face, I meant west face (there is no north face!)
 Adam Long 15 Nov 2016
In reply to Tom Last:

Good knowledge Tom!

Found a good article here: http://www.climbing.com/places/climbing-torres-del-paines-secret-moderates/
 Tom Last 15 Nov 2016
In reply to Adam Long:

Great find Adam!
 Tobes 15 Nov 2016
In reply to Tom Last:

Great info Tom!

Told myself I'd return to do something in Torres del Paine park next time, thanks for giving the inspiration a stir!

Toby

OP chris_B 15 Nov 2016
In reply to Tom Last:

Wow thanks! That's a lot of knowledge! We're flying to Patagonia next week - so organisation is a bit last minute!

We've actually only got about 5 spare days to fit in a climb, so might be expecting a bit much for good weather to align with our dates. Before that we're planning a speedy trip around the "O" trek so will get to know how everything works in the national park before that.

I thought I might be expecting a bit much hoping for an easy time on the Bonington Whillans. Will seek some local beta when there.

Already know about the permit stuff: it's in progress but don't have one yet, sounds like its not far off.

Thanks again,
Chris
OP chris_B 15 Nov 2016
In reply to Adam Long:

Yeah I'd found that, that was one of the inspirations for making us think that a short trip here could work.

The author says that he is writing a guidebook will make things a lot easier in the future.
OP chris_B 15 Nov 2016
In reply to Damo:

Thanks, had seen the topo in the first link. Not the second one though.
 Tom Last 15 Nov 2016
In reply to chris_B:

No worries man, hope it goes well for you. There's a Difrol office in town too if you
come unstuck. I've not climbed the BW, so don't let me put you off. I'd say five days was more than enough time to do the Monzino anyway if you get a good window. Bear in mind that the French Valley (Shark's Fin) and the Silence Valley (BW & Monzino) are at least a day hike from one another with big loads, so factor that in. Best of luck!
Tom
 Tom Last 15 Nov 2016
In reply to Tobes:

You should Tobes, for sure. It's hard to beat!
Bogwalloper 16 Nov 2016
In reply to chris_B:

Good thread.

Can I ask - is now the season to be going?

What is the weather like for the next 6 weeks? Avg temps / rainfall etc.

Cheers,

Wally
 Tom Last 16 Nov 2016
In reply to Bogwalloper:

Bit early still. Looking pretty snowy on my friends' Facebook feeds. Late December to March seems to be a good time, I
there's not much mixed climbing been developed so you're looking at snow-free Rock if possible. I went in February and conditions were pretty good and when it did snow, it cleared quickly afterwards. Of course, the wind can be insane at any time which is the main problem.
 Tom Last 16 Nov 2016
In reply to Bogwalloper:

But then six weeks obviously takes you right out the other side of December, so might be a good time after all.
OP chris_B 16 Nov 2016
In reply to Bogwalloper:

No idea but will report back in a few weeks! We're travelling to Chile for another commitment which constrains our dates.

A lot of the accommodation is already booked up (stuff online anyway) so it seems that it is already a popular time of time of year to go. eg we checked refugios on the south side of the O circuit and they were all booked up. Hotels in Puerto Natales also quite busy.
OP chris_B 16 Nov 2016
In reply to Tom Last:

Thanks. Yep, we'll only have time to visit one of the valleys I think.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...