UKC

ARTICLE: So you want to be a Student Winter Climber?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 05 Dec 2016
Tower Ridge, Christmas 2012. Our first Winter climbing experience., 4 kbScotland in the winter is hard to define. It's big, but not massive. It's hard, but only as hard as you want it to be. It's adventurous and inspiring and beautiful and brutal. Maybe that's something of the appeal; it's a captivating spirit.

So where to begin if you're a student and you aspire to be a well-rounded winter climber when you pop out the other end of three years of higher education? Stefan Morris shares some hints and tips.

Read more
 Offwidth 05 Dec 2016
In reply to UKC Articles:

"Tower Ridge, Christmas 2012. Our first Winter climbing experience. © Stefan Morris.....
So where to begin if you’re a student"

Not there!?

Odd there seems to be no mention of subsidised club trips in nice warm bunkhouses and a bit of formal instruction on the white stuff. The gear bit seems slightly random as well... more for winter improvers on a budget than winter beginners. Still, a fun article.
 Rich W Parker 06 Dec 2016

Great article, love the psyche of students and the willingness to celebrate discomfort!

Here's a useful thing too:

A safety and good practise seminar for uni clubs, run by Mountaineering Scotland at Glenmore Lodge, £50 a head, 66 places available for October 2017. A bunch of Instructors and Guides volunteer their time to deliver training and workshops on a range of topics. I've worked on a couple of these in the past, good craic, good info and a not inconsiderable amount of drinking (nonofficial).

http://www.mountaineering.scot/safety-and-skills/courses-and-events/our-cou...
 Henry Iddon 06 Dec 2016

Most fun read on UKC for ages. I wish I was a student again !

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...