UKC

Hold spacing on small garage wall

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rob Laird 08 Dec 2016

I'm in the middle of building a small bouldering wall in my garage. The overall wall space will be about 2.5m wide x 3m high.

What would be a good spacing to have between the holds? I was thinking around 250mm horizontally and vertically.
Post edited at 13:10
 French Erick 08 Dec 2016
In reply to Rob Laird:
150mm horizontally. some folks like the diamond shape approach which I have successfully used.
It does not want to show dot patterns sorry (alternate starting point!)

I have done the square approach too at 150mm all round
. . .
. . .
I had a wee patch I tried just to see 100mm and often t-nuts are unusable.

importantly stay away 100mm edges.
Post edited at 15:10
 Fraser 08 Dec 2016
In reply to Rob Laird:

I'd say it depends on the angle of your wall. Steeper probably means larger holds, so 150mm c/c is fine, 250mm is too large. I have 100mm c/c as it's quite a shallow angled wall and has mostly smaller holds and screw-ons. Doing it again, I'd probably go for 150mm, diamond offset, as Erick mentioned above.
 climberchristy 09 Dec 2016
In reply to Rob Laird:

I also did the square pattern at 150mm. Doing it again I would repeat 150mm but go diamond.
 Aly 09 Dec 2016
In reply to Rob Laird:
As people above have said I think 250 is probably a bit too big. I went for 200mm which works well but I have quite a big board (12ft x 13ft). For a smaller board I suspect 150-200 would work.

I would suggest *maybe* erring on the larger side to allow room for screw-ons (bought or home made). If you can, aim for at least as many screw-on holds as you have bolt ons to make it interesting, especially if your board is going to be at less than 35-40 degrees. My 2p's worth anyway.
 Aly 09 Dec 2016
In reply to Rob Laird:
Oh, and don't underestimate the importance of a kickboard (slightly less of an issue for shallow/vertical walls). Go for absolute minimum of 8 inches, ideally 12-18".

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...