UKC

A new Cold war?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 balmybaldwin 22 Dec 2016
I see both Russia and now US (in the form of Trump) are posturing over increasing their Nuclear arsenals and capabilities (specifically in the Russian statement talking about being able to penetrate missile defence systems).

Just posturing or the start of something worse? Russia certainly has been rattling the sabre a bit lately
In reply to balmybaldwin:

Not just Russia, China has an aggressive posture over control of the South China Sea. Potential flashpoints abound, alas.

T.
OP balmybaldwin 22 Dec 2016
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

I haven't heard them saying things like we need to increase our nuclear capabilities though (although no doubt they are)

You don't hear anything from China about their nuclear weapons, and the number they have has never been known. Guesses range from 'some hundreds' to 'some thousands'; though guesses in that latter range are believed to be an over-estimate.

But don't assume that a new cold war will be a replay of the last. The relationship between Presidents Trump and Putin has yet to be defined, and there are other possible players on the global stage that could make the world very different, less stable place in the medium- and short-term. China is a significant one; their actions over the South China Sea, the plans for a deep-water port at Gwadar in Pakistan and their influence in a number of African countries mean that they'll figure significantly in discussions about geopolitics in the US, Russia and Europe.

So if there's a new cold war, there may well be new alliances; my enemy's enemy, and all that.

Happy thoughts for the festive season </irony>

T.

In reply to Pursued by a bear:

>there may well be new alliances; my enemy's enemy, and all that.

Surely not. "We've always been at war with Eastasia" as the history books clearly show.
 zebidee 22 Dec 2016

> I haven't heard them saying things like we need to increase our nuclear capabilities though (although no doubt they are)

From the Trumpet himself ...

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/811977223326625792
OP balmybaldwin 22 Dec 2016
In reply to zebidee:

I was replying to PDB's point about China... I've already seen the Trumpet that's what started this thread
 Pete Pozman 22 Dec 2016

Thanks America. Thank you so much.
 Siward 22 Dec 2016
In reply to Pete Pozman:

Really though, what difference does more nukes make? There are more than enough already to destroy all life. More American missiles changes nothing does it?
 MG 22 Dec 2016
In reply to Siward:

Do you not think this suggests Trump might consider using them?
 Siward 22 Dec 2016
In reply to MG:

Who knows if he's really, really that stupid?
 MG 22 Dec 2016
In reply to Siward:

> Who knows if he's really, really that stupid?

apparent he repeatedly asked in defence briefings why they weren't used. Regrettably, I would say, yes
 Pete Pozman 22 Dec 2016
In reply to MG:

Do you think there is anyone in his coterie who might have the guts to explain to him that there can only ever be one nuclear war?
Would there be any point in anybody explaining anything to him?
KevinD 22 Dec 2016
In reply to Pete Pozman:

> Would there be any point in anybody explaining anything to him?

So you are saying I will be the final unbeaten champion/president. Where is the button?
In reply to KevinD:

Gallows humour Kevin?
 fred99 23 Dec 2016
In reply to Pete Pozman:

> Would there be any point in anybody explaining anything to him?

He seems to think that he's "too intelligent" to need briefings, so what chance has anyone got of explaining anything to that t*sser.
 Dauphin 23 Dec 2016

It's nothing new, Trump merely playing to the Balcony, upgrade cycle proposed during the latter part of Bush's term and development throughout Obama's tenure, what the world clearly needs now is $$$ for the MIC on project white elephant, presumably the Donald will do a great deal for the American taxpayer and Lockheed Martin. It's gonna be massive! Gonna cost at least double to disarm, it's gonna be Yuge! ( Draining the swamp is going to be quite an expensive decades lasting project)

D

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...