UKC

WAN

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 FesteringSore 31 Dec 2016
Can somebody kindly explain in very simple English what a WAN connection is and if I need one.

BT have sent me a new hub which has a WAN socket. The hub I had before did not have one.
 Jack B 31 Dec 2016
In reply to FesteringSore:

WAN = Wide area network. Aka the internet.
LAN = Local area network, i.e. the one in your home.

Probably the socket labelled WAN should be connected to your phone line. If the router has a separate phone line connection, then you don't need to plug anything into the WAN connector.
 DaveHK 31 Dec 2016

It's one less than a TWA.
OP FesteringSore 31 Dec 2016
In reply to Jack B:

In short I am connecting the phone thingy to the socket labelled DSL which is where it was plugged in on the older hub but the new one isn't working.
 EddInaBox 31 Dec 2016

I think the WAN socket (is it red?) is for connecting an Openreach Infinity modem if you have a fibre-optic connection to your house, for plain old copper wires you want the port marked 'broadband' or 'DSL'.
 Jack B 31 Dec 2016

If there is a port labelled DSL, then that is definitely where the phone line should plug in, and the WAN port should be left empty. It sounds like you have the wiring correct, and the problem is likely to be elsewhere :-S.

TED...?

or

KER...?

OP FesteringSore 31 Dec 2016
In reply to EddinaBox & Jack B:

I've got a feeling they've sent the wrong hub. As I mentioned above I had no WAN socket before. This one is just not working. BT are knobs

> I've got a feeling they've sent the wrong hub. As I mentioned above I had no WAN socket before. This one is just not working. BT are knobs

My BT hub, new this year, has a WAN socket. I don't use or need it. It's just standard on the hub.

First off have you tried a hub reset? If so assuming it is working in the basic sense i.e. lights up, flashes etc - there are various things that could be stopping you actually connecting and getting online.

Need more info though to help (though you may just want to phone BT to sort out?). What's the background to getting new hub and what happened after you plugged it all in and powered on?

EddInaBox 31 Dec 2016

What type of hub is it, if you look on the sticker on the back it will say something like 'BTHub5'? I don't have any direct experience of BT hubs, but there's no need to worry about the WAN port, as long as the thing is configured correctly it should work fine, assuming it isn't broken or that there's something wrong between the exchange and your router.
 Brass Nipples 31 Dec 2016

> I've got a feeling they've sent the wrong hub. As I mentioned above I had no WAN socket before. This one is just not working. BT are knobs

Nope, if you have fibre yo the house you'd have an infinity modem and you'd connect your router to that modem via the red socket.
 Fraser 31 Dec 2016
In reply to DaveHK:

> It's one less than a TWA.

One of the funniest replies I've read on here this year, a genuine LOL !

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...