UKC

Sicily in summer?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Diana Smart 02 Jan 2017
Can anyone tell me how feasible it is to go climbing in Sicily in the summer (July/August)? Or is it just too hot? I'm not looking for a full on climbing trip but a family holiday with some climbing.
 climberchristy 02 Jan 2017
In reply to Diana Smart:

Well, all depends on what you class as too hot. I've climbed in Sicily (San Vito area) in August. It was hot! Low 30s. However, I like the heat and over the years I have climbed every year in August in various Med destinations such as Mallorca, Spain, Kalymnos, Sardinia etc and loved it.

So, personally, I'd recommend it especially as you're not going just to climb. There's always the beach as well and Sicily is a beautiful place.

The climbing at San Vito lo Capo is great and lots of it is VERY close to the coast: almost literally a stone's throw away. You can climb and then be in the water within a minute or two.

We actually stayed a bit further south at a small coastal resort called Cornino. There is a crag above the village called Never Sleeping Wall and from there to beach is probably 10 mins walk.

Hope this helps. Whatever you go for... enjoy!

Christy
 minty1984 03 Jan 2017
In reply to Diana Smart:

I climbed in San vito this year in July and it was hot! Low 30's all day everyday. We stayed in the el bahira campsite which is right under a huge band of east facing cliffs. These are in shade until around 11:30/12:30 depending which section your in.

We would start climbing at 5:30/6 am and then climb until the sun came over the cliff. Even at 6am it was still around 25 degrees! It was no problem climbing in tho. The cliffs are accessible directly from the campsite. Huge range of grades and good variety of climbing on mainly well bolted routes.

The campsite has many free topos available as well with good updates on new routes.

The campsite has a great swimming pool for afternoon chilling and serves very good reasonably priced food in the restaurant too.
OP Diana Smart 03 Jan 2017
In reply to minty1984 and to Christy, just to say thank you for your posts. It sounds like it might be a bit hot for us but will definitely be taking a look when we can get there outside of the school holidays.

scott titt 04 Jan 2017
In reply to minty1984:

> I climbed in San vito this year in July and it was hot! Low 30's all day everyday. We stayed in the el bahira campsite which is right under a huge band of east facing cliffs. These are in shade until around 11:30/12:30 depending which section your in.

West facing cliffs! The sun rises in the east in Sicily just like the UK.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...