UKC

Lhotse leaking?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jandwilson 14 Jan 2017
Had my ME Lhotse jacket on today for some winter climbing in Scotland. It was pretty windy and everything got a good coating of ice on it. I didn't notice anything whilst out on the hill, it was when I got back to the car park and took the Lhotse off I noticed the jacket I was wearing underneath (rab alpha direct) was pretty much soaked throughout with a really thorough soaking on the arms.
I don't sweat much at all and layers underneath the rab where dry. Should I be taking the jacket back? Thanks
 John Kelly 14 Jan 2017
In reply to TheBigFactHunt:

Not for me, you stayed dry underneath for whole day in a waterproof, that's pretty good, guessing you sweated more than you think

On the other hand if you feel it's sub standard you should take it back, expensive bit of kit

Recently
http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=655996
OP Jandwilson 14 Jan 2017
In reply to John Kelly:

It definitely feels sub standard, had a pair of OEX waterproof trousers on and they kept me bone dry despite being dragged through snow for most of the day.
Might try out paramo...
 John Kelly 14 Jan 2017
Strangely I always feel waterproof trousers do better than jackets, my substantial torso more than plugs the hole at the top of my trousers but my head, though swollen, never quite fills the hole at top of the jacket
Post edited at 21:50
 angry pirate 14 Jan 2017

Try wearing it under the shower over a t shirt for a bit. See if it leaks.
I do wonder how well Goretex can breath with windproof layers underneath. Back in the dim distant, buffalo used to specifically state that wearing Goretex over the buffalo shirt would cause it to get soggy.
 Billhook 14 Jan 2017

Was summing it was not above freezing and raining then your jacket is ok but as someone else has pointed out may be condensation with the other jacket underneath
 Timmd 14 Jan 2017
I think the best approach to waterproofs might be to see them as creating a micro climate, inside which you want to stay warm when damp as well as dry, and wear clothing which gives the best chance of that happening.

It seems me that the pertex outer of the Rab jacket might be a good place for sweat to condense, but it can't hurt to check your waterproof functions okay around the seams by going under the shower or something...
Post edited at 23:51
 Timmd 15 Jan 2017

Damp from sweat that is.
rupertwelliams 15 Jan 2017

I think you need to stay underneath. That would be great then.
OP Jandwilson 15 Jan 2017
In reply to angry pirate:

I'll give that a go, I suppose it could be condensation.
The toggles fell off the jacket too so its all a bit sad at the moment
 Sharp 15 Jan 2017

Just test it and see, wear a long sleeve cotton tshirt in the shower and if it's wet after it's leaking if it's dry after it's sweat.
 thlcr1 15 Jan 2017

You mentioned that it was very windy and everything got a good coating of ice. Do you mean the outside of the jacket was covered in ice. If so that will do a grand job of stopping any moisture getting out. In similar conditions I always find that the layer immediately under my shell gets pretty damp of even just plain soaked! That's with various Shells in various materials.

Lee
 Andypeak 15 Jan 2017

The wife took a ME jacket back recently due to it leaking. Returned to cotswolds just under 2 years after buying it. They sent it to ME who tested it and agreed and a refund was given. If you think its leaking send it to be tested and see what they say.
 GForce1 15 Jan 2017

Sounds like a leak. I wear similar layers (Rab Strata hoodie under a neoshell outer) and have no condensation issues.

G
In reply to thlcr1:

Yeah the outer was coated, but with a £300 ish pound jacket it should cope with a bit of ice on it without losing all its breathability.
In reply to Andypeak:

Yeah I'll send it off to be tested I guess
 thlcr1 15 Jan 2017

> Yeah the outer was coated, but with a £300 ish pound jacket it should cope with a bit of ice on it without losing all its breathability.

Could be wrong but I think that might be your answer. Doesn't matter how much you spend, once a jacket is coated with something non breathable the sweat is going anywhere.

Lee
In reply to thlcr1:

It wasn't completely coated, and the guy I was climbing with had a belay jacket on that was coated as well and he was bone dry. Same with people wearing softshells.
 Pipecleaner 15 Jan 2017
It could be leaking but maybe it was just sweat!
I've got a marmot isotherm (alpha insulation with pertex quantum gl outer) the outer can get quite wet under a shell from perspiration which it transports really well. The inside of the jacket feels quite dry to the touch. I'd say it's likely that if the jacket was a bit iced up the breathability would be reduced making it even more likely to wet the outside of your alpha jacket.
Also I'd guess by having a shell over the jacket in freezing conditions would move the dew point somwhere between the outer of the alpha jacket and the inside of your shell...just about where you found the wetness.
Re: breathability...ice isn't breathable so iced up or wet out no material will breath irrespective of how it can work optimally.
My legs seldom seem to get as damp as my body...luckily.
I'm not an expert by any means tho but it sounds plausible that it's just condensation....of course checking for a leak under the shower would be a great start to ruling out a leak.
Good luck and let us know the outcome!
Post edited at 13:54
In reply to Pipecleaner:

Fingers crossed its just condensation and I just need to vary my layers a bit, will try the shower at some point
 Timmd 15 Jan 2017
In reply to Pipecleaner:

> Also I'd guess by having a shell over the jacket in freezing conditions would move the dew point somwhere between the outer of the alpha jacket and the inside of your shell...just about where you found the wetness.

That's what I was thinking. Fortunately ME seem really good at replacing faulty gear, so the OP probably doesn't have much to worry about either way.
 thlcr1 15 Jan 2017

> It wasn't completely coated, and the guy I was climbing with had a belay jacket on that was coated as well and he was bone dry. Same with people wearing softshells.

Fair enough. Time to try the shower trick then. From personal experience its really good fun standing in a cold shower for several minutes. NOT! Also a bit of care required or you just end up with water pouring through the face opening and soaking your cotton T, then its start again time. Have fun

Lee

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...