UKC

Multipitching in El Chorro

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Furry Goose 19 Jan 2017
Hey does anyone know if you need to take an extra rope for the abseils of multipitch routes around El Chorro. None of the pitches seem to be longer than 35m, so I figure a 70m would be fine to ab back down the line (with knots in the ends obviously).
Can anyone testify to this or know of any routes where the abseil line deviates and requires longer abs?

We shall be limited to within walking distance of the olive branch ( Frontales, Arab steps etc).
 snoop6060 19 Jan 2017
In reply to Furry Goose:

I've never needed a second rope on any of the main multipitch routes. There's a fair bit of esoteric stuff in the gorge I might prepare a bit more for mind.

The popular faces have bolts everywhere so even in an emergency you will likely be fine.
OP Furry Goose 19 Jan 2017
In reply to snoop6060:

Thanks for the advice, I'll bear that in mind re. the gorge and shall seek specific advice if we plan on doing some of the esoterica.
 1poundSOCKS 20 Jan 2017
In reply to Furry Goose:

> We shall be limited to within walking distance of the olive branch ( Frontales, Arab steps etc).

Do many of them require an abseil at all? I did a 10 pitch route near Frontales, and it was walk off via the arab steps. As did other routes on the same wall.
 danm 20 Jan 2017
In reply to Furry Goose:

A bigger concern at the minute is whether you need your ice tools or not - they've had a fair bit of snow in Chorro this week!
 TXG 20 Jan 2017
In reply to Furry Goose:

Hello - Did Valentines Day (6a) a couple of years ago - defo an ab off. The first few pitches are 40m, but they'd installed handy double bolt and ring lower offs at 30m intervals so we could easily get off on our 60 single. We walked from the Olive branch so it's in your striking range.

Not sure what grades you're on, but I'd recommend Valentines Day. Relatively unpolished, with a brilliant steep bucket pulling third pitch.

Enjoy whatever you do.

Tom

mcgovern 21 Jan 2017
In reply to Furry Goose:

35m has always been fine for me except for on 'Frente popular de Judea' for which you definitely need an 80m. Some of the longer ones (8+ pitches) are better to walk off though. Watch out for loose rock when abbing as a lot of the pitches are only cleaned for where the climbing goes and a few meters either side of the bolts can be very chossy.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...