UKC

Automisation

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Pete Pozman 24 Jan 2017
This being a climbers' forum we all know what we are going to do when the machine takes our jobs, but what are all the non-climbers going to do?
 Dark-Cloud 24 Jan 2017
In reply to Pete Pozman:

I work in automation, I know what I am going to do, automate things.
 JJL 24 Jan 2017
In reply to Pete Pozman:

What the hell is "automisation"?
 Greasy Prusiks 24 Jan 2017
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

The rest of us will feed the dogs that guard the machines.
 stevieb 24 Jan 2017
In reply to Pete Pozman:

I think, like good capitalists, they should own the means of production.
What shares should 'they' buy? Who is going to define this brave new world?
 Dark-Cloud 24 Jan 2017
In reply to JJL:

> What the hell is "automisation"?

An incorrect way of saying and spelling automation.....
OP Pete Pozman 24 Jan 2017
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

> An incorrect way of saying and spelling automation.....

You haven't been able to find it but I have.
Acknowledged that it has been coined, but perhaps less implausibly than many other examples.
Just trying to get a genuine apolitical discussion about what's to become of the billions of people with nothing to do in the next 50 years.
 petenebo 24 Jan 2017
In reply to JJL:

> What the hell is "automisation"?

Aerosoles
In reply to Dark-Cloud:
> An incorrect way of saying and spelling automation.....

It's an alternative spelling.
Post edited at 00:51
 Dark-Cloud 25 Jan 2017
In reply to Pete Pozman:

> You haven't been able to find it but I have.

Well done.
 JJL 25 Jan 2017
In reply to tom_in_edinburgh:

> It's an alternative spelling.

Like alternative facts?
Or like alternate facts?

He could substitutionalise either.

Bootrock 25 Jan 2017
In reply to Greasy Prusiks:

> The rest of us will feed the dogs that guard the machines.

The dogs that are there to bite the humans if they touch the machines.
 jkarran 25 Jan 2017
In reply to Pete Pozman:

> Just trying to get a genuine apolitical discussion about what's to become of the billions of people with nothing to do in the next 50 years.

They'll be kept fed and entertained in an uneasy bargain or they'll feed and entertain themselves.
jk
Post edited at 14:28
cb294 25 Jan 2017
In reply to JJL:

Don´t misunderestimate alternative spelling! This has tradition in the White House!

CB
 Rob Exile Ward 25 Jan 2017
In reply to Pete Pozman:

Seems to me there's any number of contradictions in current trends that are capable of being resolved: E.g. there's supposed to be a shortage of jobs, yet 'everyone' is expected to work longer before they retire. What is being paid in benefits to younger people could maybe paid out in pensions instead? And an ageing population that will require increasing care will surely increase the demand for labour that can't be automated.

It would be good to revert to the 70s counter-culture when material consumption was seen as a rather pathetic and counter productive impulse yielding only dissatisfaction and waste; many of us could earn rather less, work rather less hard and spread the work that can't be automated (there's plenty of it) around more thinly and evenly.

Pyreneenemec 25 Jan 2017
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

> .................. And an ageing population that will require increasing care will surely increase the demand for labour that can't be automated.

>.

What a promising future ; you look after old folks until you yourself are too old and need to be looked after . Euthanasia anyone ?
 Big Ger 25 Jan 2017
In reply to Pete Pozman:

youtube.com/watch?v=lD85tREWajs&

I went to school and I studied
And I got my G.C.E.
My City and Guilds and my Sky Diary
But it didn't do me no good
They didn't like my looks
I burnt my books
Twenty five years doesn't matter anymore
I stand around the streets
I lie around the floor
looking at the sky
I watch the world go by

Hawkwind - 25 Years
 Rob Exile Ward 25 Jan 2017
In reply to Pyreneenemec:

Well speaking as someone who has done his share of looking after old people and is now becoming one himself neither seems so bad.

The facts of the matter are: we work too hard; consume too much; don't spend enough time with friends and family and doing stuff we really enjoy.
 Jimbo C 25 Jan 2017
In reply to Pete Pozman:

During the 20th Century, there was the promise that we would all have more leisure time due to the automation of a great many things (for example washing machines, computers, email, etc.). It's true that machines have made many tasks less laborious, but instead of accepting a certain standard of living and doing less work, people work harder than ever so that they can afford an ever increasing set of necessities for modern life (such as cars, computers, phones, 46" OLED 4K TVs, yada yada).

Don't get me wrong, progress is good but I think we're doing it badly.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...