UKC

tandem racing, why is it not a thing?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Weird discussion cropped up in the workplace this morning with a guy who is a massive cycling fan which got me thinking. Why is there no tandem classes or anything for major bike races, like the tour de France or even Velodrome stuff?

My argument is that most other sports have classes for having an extra person involved if possible. I’m thinking motorbikes and side car racing at the TT or rowing which can range from 1 to 8 persons.

I mean tandems would be like missiles going downhill and arguably more efficient on the flat… though way slower going uphill. It would be interesting…. I’d watch it!

Does anyone know why tandem racing has never taken off?
 bouldery bits 25 Jan 2017
In reply to paul_the_northerner:

Call the UCI!

I love this idea.

There are tandem records in Time Trials and people do ride TTs fairly reguarly on Tandems, it's definately not big numbers though.

A few TT tandem records were claimed in 2016 https://www.cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/articles/view/85

Tandems are definately quick on the flat though, the current national TT record for 25 miles is 44.04 on a solo bike, 43.23 on a tandem which is impressive considering how few people ride tandems, Imagine a tandem combo of Wiggins and Dowsett!

Bunch racing on a Tandem would just be too dangerous as they're just not as maneuverable as solo bikes.
 Greasy Prusiks 25 Jan 2017

There's a fair bit of tandem racing in the paralympics.
 Chris the Tall 25 Jan 2017

Because there are better ways on having team events in cycling, and these do not require different bikes
 plyometrics 25 Jan 2017

Because tandems are just plain weird.
 deepsoup 25 Jan 2017
In reply to Greasy Prusiks:
> There's a fair bit of tandem racing in the paralympics.

Presumably if there were tandem classes in mainstream events the paralympic teams with one blind/partially sighted rider would be able to compete on equal terms? I like this idea too.
 Aly 25 Jan 2017
It used to be in the Olympics:
http://www.velominati.com/general/in-memorium-olympic-tandem-match-sprint/

I don't know why is isn't more popular. Perhaps too dangerous, a bit similar to Group B rally?
Post edited at 15:15
 toad 25 Jan 2017

Because cyclists are solitary sociopaths who don't know how to share nicely?
 d_b 25 Jan 2017

Because you can't trust the one on the back to pull their weight.
 timjones 25 Jan 2017

> Weird discussion cropped up in the workplace this morning with a guy who is a massive cycling fan which got me thinking. Why is there no tandem classes or anything for major bike races, like the tour de France or even Velodrome stuff?

> My argument is that most other sports have classes for having an extra person involved if possible. I’m thinking motorbikes and side car racing at the TT or rowing which can range from 1 to 8 persons.

> I mean tandems would be like missiles going downhill and arguably more efficient on the flat… though way slower going uphill. It would be interesting…. I’d watch it!

> Does anyone know why tandem racing has never taken off?

Having once had the experience of riding as stoker in a downhill tandem time trial I can testify that it is pretty "exhilarating".

I reckon that most cyclists wouldn't be brave or stupid enough to do it
 Run_Ross_Run 25 Jan 2017

This is probably why

youtube.com/watch?v=Ngv7Iu3y1o0&

daWalt 25 Jan 2017

definitely just too weird - but many things were in them days:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ml4HN3B51kc&spfreload=5
 LastBoyScout 25 Jan 2017

I believe the Bishops Castle Tandem Triathlon is still going. Having done that a couple of times, I can testify that hammering downhill at >50mph on a tandem is pretty scary stuff! Slightly less efficient going uphill, as you say - it's much harder to get out of the saddle unless you're REALLY good.

I've seen people riding the bigger sportives and even the Etape on them - also quite a few as parent+kid in local bike events.

Tandems are surprisingly expensive - that's probably right up there as a reason you don't see more.
 Castleman 25 Jan 2017

I've always like the idea of racing 2 4man tandems (whatever they may be called) against each other Lands End to John O Groats. 16mph for 16hrs per day = 4days to ride it.

Anyone in?
And anyone know where I can hire a 4man tandem?!
 Green Porridge 25 Jan 2017

It's definitely a thing (or used to be). Our LBS owner used to be the German tandem track champion, in his youth. Obviously, he shared this title...

Here's a tandem on the Pendle 600 Audax. It's considered to be just about the hardest 600km Audax in the UK. The tandem pair got over Hardknott and Wrynose without putting a foot down which is more than a lot of fit solo cyclists can manage. I feature in the film but definately not on a tandem!

youtube.com/watch?v=lDYz1Uv4pmM&
 Doug 25 Jan 2017

Many years (mid 70s) ago I worked in a lab with someone who had a racing tandem trike with which he & a friend had been picking up various British records for fastest times as they hadn(t been contested since maybe the 1920s. He took me for a spin one lunchtime, very frightening as it 'drifted' round bends.
 The New NickB 25 Jan 2017
In reply to toad:

> Because cyclists are solitary sociopaths who don't know how to share nicely?

Surely not, I thought they all rode two-up at all times.
 The New NickB 25 Jan 2017
In reply to yesbutnobutyesbut:

I would have though or on a flat TT course a tandem would have a massive advantage, twice the power with only slightly more drag.
 d_b 25 Jan 2017
In reply to timjones:

Is that because it is actually more dangerous, or does it just feel that way if you aren't the one in full control?
 Siward 26 Jan 2017
In reply to yesbutnobutyesbut:

Excellent little film, enjoyed that.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...