UKC

Recommendations for a rope bag to take in-cabin with Easyjet

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 two_tapirs 25 Jan 2017
going to be flying Easyjet to Spain soon for a few days climbing, and I need to sort out a rope bag for the kit. Knowing how budget airlines are very specific with in-cabin baggage dimensions, have any of you found a particular rope bag to be accepted as hand luggage? Need to fit a 70m rope, draws, shoes, maybe some of the trad rack too. (I need to research exactly what gear I can take on-boards)

Cheers
 GrahamD 25 Jan 2017
In reply to two_tapirs:

(I need to research exactly what gear I can take on-boards)

> Cheers

Start with that, I would.
 GridNorth 25 Jan 2017
In reply to two_tapirs:
The one I have found the most versatile, especially now that they have modified the design is the DMM Classic. You can take all of your gear (gas canisters and burners may be an issue)on board but most of it needs to go in the hold and not as a "carry on". People will come on here and tell you they have taken ropes, harnesses, QD's and all other sorts of stuff but to be honest it's not worth the risk and for your information it's down to gate security and not the airline despite what the airline tells you. I speak from hard earned experience. Some years ago on a flight to Spain I managed to take my rope on board as hand luggage. A friend on the same flight went through a different gate and had his confiscated despite clearing it with EasyJet beforehand.

Al
Post edited at 14:30
J1234 25 Jan 2017
In reply to two_tapirs:

i have just bought my wife a DMM Flight in Grey from Rock and Run. Very impressed, google it and watch the informative but embarrasing video for more info.
 marsbar 25 Jan 2017
In reply to two_tapirs:

Ropes can be used to tie people up, and therefore should be in the hold.
 3leggeddog 25 Jan 2017
In reply to two_tapirs:

The only way to travel hand luggage only on a climbing trip is to call in at decathlon on arrival to buy budget draws and rope. When the pound is strong this option can be attractive.
 kipper12 25 Jan 2017
In reply to two_tapirs:

Don't try and take your rope on bnoard, they have gpt much more strict about ropes in the cabin. Check it in with your other climbing gear.
 carr0t 25 Jan 2017
In reply to two_tapirs:

Do yourself a favour and don't bother. You might get through at departure but you might get turned away at security checks in transit airports or on the way back. This happened to me with slings, nuts and QuickDraws. This will be up to the individual security guard
OP two_tapirs 26 Jan 2017
Thanks everyone, sounds like I'll be checking my gear into the hold, rather than risk it on the judgement of someone who may just be having a bad day
 Rob Parsons 26 Jan 2017
In reply to GridNorth:

> ... gas canisters and burners may be an issue ...

No airline I know of will allow you to take gas canisters - either on-board, or in checked-in baggage.
Post edited at 14:32
 planetmarshall 26 Jan 2017
In reply to Rob Parsons:

> No airline I know of will allow you take gas canisters, either on-board, or in checked-in baggage.

Somewhat off-topic, but the following instagram account shows the kind of things that get confiscated at US airports. It made me feel much more sympathetic toward Airport Security.

https://www.instagram.com/tsa/

Recent favourites include the model rocket with fuel, and the speargun.
 galpinos 26 Jan 2017
In reply to planetmarshall:

That is amazing. Wow....
 Rob Parsons 26 Jan 2017

A few years ago I was in the check-in at a British airport, and a builder (I presume) who was wearing a full tool-belt equipped with hammer, big spanners, screwdrivers, pliers etc. was arguing the toss with the people at security, and loudly complaining about their refusal to allow him to take that lot on the plane.

Clearly an idiot. But, since then, I have a great deal of sympathy for people doing the security checking: it's a difficult job; they have norms and rules which they are bound to follow; and the penalties for them screwing up are potentially huge.
 Ridge 26 Jan 2017

> Somewhat off-topic, but the following instagram account shows the kind of things that get confiscated at US airports. It made me feel much more sympathetic toward Airport Security.

> Recent favourites include the model rocket with fuel, and the speargun.

Returning from the US last year I went through their security with all the dogs and glowering armed guards. It wasn't till I got to Heathrow and went through security again that I discovered that Mrs Ridge, worried about the weight of the hold bags, had had a little re-pack and loaded every spiky or bladed object we'd had for our our trip to Yosemite into my cabin bag.

Oh how they laughed in security...
 Stone Idle 26 Jan 2017
In reply to two_tapirs:

I have to wonder why on earth you would want to. It will all go in the hold. Wrap your camera in your jumper and take that and the guide book in the cabin.
AshFX 26 Jan 2017
In reply to two_tapirs:

My girlfriend and I flew with EasyJet last year to Portugal for a climbing holiday. Much to our ignorance we packed our rope in our cabin luggage, got stopped before we went through security by a member of staff who told us he was unsure that we were allowed to take rope through (at this point our hold luggage had been sent off), after a few radio calls to some of his colleagues, it was confirmed that rope is now no longer allowed in cabin (a fairly new rule that not many people knew about) Balls we thought. We apologised, the security guard apologised and so did the staff member (radio man) who had first made contact with us about the rope. We all apologised. This was when we thought we was going to have to ditch the rope. However. Radio man upped his game one more time. Armed with nothing but a large set of keys and his radio, he once more radioed a colleague who retrieved our hold luggage which had already started its journey on the conveyor belts and then onto the plane.
I don't think my girlfriend and I could show radio man and bag man how happy we were when our bag arrived. We stuffed our rope in the hold bag and back onto the conveyor where it would start its journey one. more. time.

Long story short - don't take rope in cabin.
 Skyfall 26 Jan 2017
In reply to AshFX:

I did the same after 9/11 - same result - plus they rushed us onto the plane and avoided excess baggage charges - the day went from optimism to despair to deep joy in the space of an hour or so

"tsa: These are just a few of the 70 firearms discovered in carry-on bags last week at airports around the nation. 63 were loaded and 18 had a round chambered."

FFS...
 planetmarshall 27 Jan 2017
In reply to captain paranoia:

> "tsa: These are just a few of the 70 firearms discovered in carry-on bags last week at airports around the nation. 63 were loaded and 18 had a round chambered."

Yeah, and those were just the ones who attempted to get them through security. Next time you're at a US airport, just think how many people are wandering around with potentially loaded firearms on their person.

Jim 1003 27 Jan 2017
> Yeah, and those were just the ones who attempted to get them through security. Next time you're at a US airport, just think how many people are wandering around with potentially loaded firearms on their person.

I hope there is quite a lot of them if any terrorists show up...
Post edited at 20:49
 Neil Williams 28 Jan 2017
In reply to two_tapirs:

> going to be flying Easyjet to Spain soon for a few days climbing, and I need to sort out a rope bag for the kit. Knowing how budget airlines are very specific with in-cabin baggage dimensions, have any of you found a particular rope bag to be accepted as hand luggage? Need to fit a 70m rope, draws, shoes, maybe some of the trad rack too. (I need to research exactly what gear I can take on-boards)

You will need to put it in the hold. Most climbing gear could be used to cause trouble on a plane, so you have a very high risk of losing some or all of it at security.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...