UKC

Tryfan

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ColH72 25 Jan 2017
Just a quick question. Would I need to crampons to go up Tryfan (non climbing route) if snowing?

Thanks
 jezb1 25 Jan 2017
In reply to ColH72:

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Sorry that's not much help, but it's not that black and white.

If in doubt, seek instruction from a qualified person
 SouthernSteve 25 Jan 2017
In reply to ColH72:

As the previous poster says, you need them with you and need to know when to put them on, but you might not!
OP ColH72 25 Jan 2017
In reply to jezb1:

Thx for the advice. Much appreciated.

Col
 Billhook 26 Jan 2017
In reply to ColH72:

Just because it is snowing doesn;t necessarily mean you'll need crampons.

Good practice would be to carry them on your rucksack along with an ice axe. But i'm not sure there is any snow at all in Wales.
 thlcr1 27 Jan 2017
In reply to Dave Perry:

Certainly non on Tryfan today

Lee
 Trangia 27 Jan 2017
In reply to SouthernSteve:

> As the previous poster says, you need them with you and need to know when to put them on, but you might not!

Good answer.

I would add that it's not just snow the OP needs to worry about. Ice can be lethal, even on an "easy" path up and "easy" mountain. About 10 years ago I set off up the easy path on Pen y Fan from the Storey Arms car park. No snow anywhere, but the path was a lethal sheet of overlapping ice. We were sliding all over the place and people were going down like ninepins. It was impossible to make progress without crampons, and we soon put them on.

Apart from the clue of the very low temperature, there had been no indication of these conditions when we left the car.
 GrahamD 27 Jan 2017
In reply to Trangia:

And, conversely, crampons can actually be more of a liability in soft snow.
 Bulls Crack 27 Jan 2017
In reply to ColH72:

Went up Tryfan a couple of weeks ago and, looking at the dusting of snow, left the axe behind - correct choice - and after a bit more thought, the crampons - and then, wished I'd packed them for the top few verglassed metres which were potentially lethal
Removed User 27 Jan 2017
In reply to ColH72:

I have some Katoolas - small crampons which stretch over your boots. I found them invaluable in the Pyrenees early summer with plenty of snow slopes to negotiate.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...