UKC

arrochar conditions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
sebastian dangerfield 27 Jan 2017
Going for a wonder up one of the Arrochar alps tomorrow. Is there any snow at all? worth bring axe/crampons just in case?
 pass and peak 27 Jan 2017
In reply to sebastian dangerfield:

Can't answer your specific question, I doubt there's much left though. However looking at the forecast for the next couple of days I'd be packing them, freezing levels already back down to 1100m and set to go a lot lower overnight!
Report back if you find anything good will you!
 CurlyStevo 27 Jan 2017

Hmmmm the nearest SAIS blogs don't look like the hills are holding snow outside of the deeper collection areas and then only to quite a limited extent (only the cairngorms and meggie are showing snow on exposed slopes) so I suspect you won't find much refrozen snow especially that which can't be avoided. Given the colder weather its probably prudent to pack an axe and crampons. Although it looks more likely that walking poles and boots will be more appropriate on the day (possibly with micro spikes).
 Simon Caldwell 27 Jan 2017

Saw some photos on FB from Cobbler and Beinn Ime last weekend and there was no snow at all. AFAIK it's been mild since then (?)
 CurlyStevo 27 Jan 2017

Just seen pics from today (friends fb page), no snow at all visible in any of the pics from around the cobbler area, fresh forecast tonight.
 GrantM 27 Jan 2017

Went up the Cobbler in trainers and a base layer last week, there were a few small patches of snow. It's much colder today though with rain forecast overnight.
sebastian dangerfield 27 Jan 2017

Thanks all - packing them just in case
sebastian dangerfield 29 Jan 2017

There was a fair bit of fresh snow, crampons not necessary but useful for steeper bits.
sebastian dangerfield 29 Jan 2017

ps - on ben vane
 David Gainor 06 Feb 2017

Anyone know what the Cobbler is like at the moment? I'm thinking of having a look at the traverse tomorrow.

Cheers, David
 Nbrain 06 Feb 2017
In reply to David Gainor:

Drove by yesterday and there was bit of snow high up on the hills but couldn't say anymore than that!
 David Gainor 06 Feb 2017
In reply to Nbrain:
No worries, cheers for the reply!
Post edited at 12:40
 abbeywall 06 Feb 2017

There was a lot of fresh snow yesterday on the hills and drifting, deep in places on Sunday The Cobbler was plastered looking over but it might have melted in the sun. It was firming up at 800m. I would probably take axe and crampons
SMcA 10 Feb 2017

Hey

Just wondering if you tried it David? What were the conditions like? Myself and a few pals were considering taking the easy path up and back tomorrow - just to the first peak, no climbing! Some of them wouldn't have crampons - do you think they're needed to get the whole way up?

Cheers
Shauna
 subtle 10 Feb 2017
In reply to SMcA:

The easy path up the back doesn't get much / any sun at this time of year so if the ground is frozen then the path turns rock hard and crampons and an axe are advisable.

If you still wanted to go up the walk up the front is however exposed to the sun and shouldn't prevent progress with boots - and it is still a walk, just not one with troublesome man made steps

If it turn outs to be too icy then you can always turn back - go and enjoy.

Afterwards pop into the Village Inn, sit by the fire, eat some food, take in a beverage and chat with your mates - enjoy the day.
Jim C 10 Feb 2017
In reply to subtle:

> Afterwards pop into the Village Inn, sit by the fire, eat some food, take in a beverage and chat with your mates - enjoy the day.

Other inns are available in the area.

SMcA 22 Feb 2017
In reply to subtle:

I never did say thanks for the advice

- Thanks!

We had a great day in the end. The path was frozen but we stuck with the easy route, although it was a slog through deep snow for the final push. The scramble up the front was definitely still pretty iced up too, although we did see that it didn't stop some under prepared folks from dragging themselves up there! Some very scared looking faces were appearing over the top of the scramble route when we were there!
 subtle 22 Feb 2017
In reply to SMcA:

Sounds like you had a good day, thats all one can ask for.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...