UKC

best way to get a bike up/down snowdon (not via the train..)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 r1ch79 27 Jan 2017
Seeing as its not winter but is winter and I can if I want I would like to take the bike to the top of Snowdon and amble down on 2 wheels for once....

but I was wondering whats the best way up please?

I have only used Llanberis path once and that was downhill and whilst it is long and shallow it was pretty rutted up.......

is it the best route up and down for a hardtail mountain bike or are there better options......
 static266 27 Jan 2017
In reply to wannabeagoat:

Llanberis & Ranger paths seem to be the most popular for pushing up & riding down. I haven't done it but I'd say the llanberis path is best for pushing up.
 EddInaBox 27 Jan 2017

Shove it in the back of a Vauxhall Frontera and drive it up?
 jezb1 27 Jan 2017

I've only done it the once, I went up (with a lot of pushing) and down the Llanberis path. Good fun and well worth doing
 LastBoyScout 27 Jan 2017

Did it years ago - rode up the Llanberis path and down the Ranger trail. Once you get far enough down that, there's a track that will loop you back into Llanberis.

Had to push a bit in places on the way up, but I was on a fully rigid mountain bike - I'd like to think that these days, with better bike/suspension/technique/fitness, I'd be able to get up with (almost) no pushing.
 gethin_allen 27 Jan 2017
In reply to static266:

> Llanberis & Ranger paths seem to be the most popular for pushing up & riding down. I haven't done it but I'd say the llanberis path is best for pushing up.

Pushing up!!! Don't be soft.
The Llanberis path is 99% ridable on the way up and 100% fun on the way down.
The Ranger is hard work both up and down and yes, it involves a bit of pushing.
 pwo 27 Jan 2017
I had a bet with my (then) 15 yr old son that I could run up and down Snowden from llanberis faster than he could cycle up and down (I'm in my 60's). He won hands down. The path is cycleable (as above) the vast majority of the route up. I beat him going up but by god he beat me coming down. He was riding a down hill specific bike at the time. Fortunately he's taken up road bikes so we're level pegging now.

scope 27 Jan 2017
In reply to pwo:

I can't rember the exact times, but there is a sign at the start of the Llanberis path asking people not to cycle during 'peak' hours.
 pwo 27 Jan 2017
Yep you're right. As I recall we were OK uptoabout 0900. Mind you the speed he got up to he wasn't taking any prisoners coming down and in fairness at the time we did it he was getting rounds of applause!!
 Guy 27 Jan 2017

Up the Rhyd ddu is less rideable than the Llanberis but much more interesting. Depends what you want! The ranger is awesome and by doing the Rhyd you can ride to the valley which is quite nice.
 gethin_allen 27 Jan 2017
In reply to scope:

I think the negotiated ban is between 10 and 4 between mid April and the end of September. The rest of the year is fine but if cyclists cause trouble it could have consequences so it's best to try and avoid it.
In the summer months it's really easy to get up and down in the late afternoon with plenty of light, I started at just gone 4 and was down by about 6:30 I think.
 Brass Nipples 28 Jan 2017

Get a mate to take it up then you ride it down?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...