UKC

Which Bouldering Mat?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The New NickB 30 Jan 2017

Despite 25 years of climbing, I have never done much in the way of bouldering and of what I have done was prior to the invention of the bouldering mat.

My stepdaughter is a keen climber indoors and is keen to do some outdoor bouldering, she is less interested in the sort of outdoor trad leading which is what most of my climbing experience is. I have said I will take her to a few local venues when we have some dry days.

The whole issue has been compounded by our local climbing centre (Rochdale) closing down, so she will probably get less opportunity to climb indoors.

I know nothing of mats. What is a good model to start with, I don't think she will be doing anything particular high and will always have someone spotting her.

Perhaps I should add, she is 15 and I guess 45kg. I might use it ocassinally and I am a bit older and a bit heavier.
Post edited at 13:44
 Si dH 30 Jan 2017
In reply to The New NickB:

You should be looking at something in the 1.2-1.3m x 1m range, and 9-11cm thick. Anything with a smaller area than this (eg 1x0.9m) is only any good as a second pad. Anything bigger will be overkill for now, and too heavy for her to carry.
Be aware that if she is keen, she'll be wanting a second pad within a year. One pad is pretty limiting.

In most brands, 1m is a standard width. Check whether this will fit in your boot between any wheel arches. If it won't, then it might be useful to know that being American, Metolius and Organic make tgeir pads in 3 foot (90 cm) widths.

If you want to store it folded, you need one with a folding hinge design. If you will store it somewhere that it can be kept unfolded all the time, you could consider a 'taco' design without a hinge.

Good options would be moon warrior, snap bun (taco), ocun moonwalk, metolius session, organic simple, bd impact or dropzone (hinged). There are more. You should be able to get something decent for around £140-150, although some of these would cost more.

Hth,
Si
OP The New NickB 30 Jan 2017
In reply to Si dH:

Thanks, that is useful.
 alx 30 Jan 2017

Check out the latest moon warrior pad, I'm a 92kg, 6footer and this is a perfect starting out mat and is an essential part of my mat collection.
In reply to alx:

> Check out the latest moon warrior pad, I'm a 92kg, 6footer and this is a perfect starting out mat and is an essential part of my mat collection.

+1 for the Warrior, two of them were brilliant in Font last September, while the big Saturn pads were back at the gite
 Si dH 30 Jan 2017
In reply to paul_in_cumbria:
That's bizarre (if they fit in your boot), I've used multiple warriors and saturns, and saturns are amazing. Complete overkill for a 15yo just starting out though - £235 a pop and she'll not be able to carry them to the crag
Post edited at 18:55
 db79 30 Jan 2017

The Snap pads are great - we've got a Bun and it's ace.

Try to boulder somewhere with friendly landings to start with. Indoor skills seem to translate well to quarried grit, but the views aren't as good as somewhere like Burbage South.
 Ramblin dave 30 Jan 2017

I've got an Alpkit Mujo which I've got no complaints about.

But you missed the more important question: what beanie are you going to get?
In reply to Si dH:

> That's bizarre (if they fit in your boot), I've used multiple warriors and saturns, and saturns are amazing. Complete overkill for a 15yo just starting out though - £235 a pop and she'll not be able to carry them to the crag

Nothing to do with performance, our Saturns are amazing, but on a 40+ problem circuit, the Warriors were much easier to lug around. All Moon mats are excellent!
 Si dH 30 Jan 2017
In reply to paul_in_cumbria:

Ah makes sense - I can imagine not wanting a Saturn on a circuit!
 sean1 01 Feb 2017

I ordered this mat resonantly.
https://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;product=93719;menu=1300,1600,1611;mi...
It has a nice soft landing without bottoming out. Great on sit starts and short to medium falls.
This would suit a lighter person very well. I have a Metolius for years but it is quite hard a landing on sit starts and shorter falls, more designed for higher falls. Also if the person is lighter.
 afx22 01 Feb 2017

I'd recommend the largest that you are happy to carry, can fit in your car and you can afford. Larger is safer. Safer makes climbing more enjoyable for me.

I'm a big fan of the Snap pads (I have the Wrap) as I find they absorb the impact better than the other pads my friends and myself own. They're not cheap and really need to be stored unfolded.
 DamonRoberts 01 Feb 2017
This appears to be a good buy at the moment, especially with the £5 off voucher making it £82.

https://www.alpinetrek.co.uk/wild-country-touchdown-pad-crash-pad/?backlink...

As an aside, has anyone used the cheapish £80 Grivel crashpads?
 neilh 01 Feb 2017

Should this not be " which beer mat for bouldering". I preferred the Boddingtons ones.
 Scott K 01 Feb 2017

The Snap pads are great. Individual cells which you can replace or move about if they get a bit worn. Expensive but worth it.
OP The New NickB 01 Feb 2017
In reply to neilh:

> Should this not be " which beer mat for bouldering". I preferred the Boddingtons ones.

I've still got one of those.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...