UKC

Six Nations (Spoilers)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 balmybaldwin 04 Feb 2017
Scotland looking good and scoring well.... didn't expect this.

I wonder if they can keep it up without their scrum functioning properly
OP balmybaldwin 04 Feb 2017
In reply to balmybaldwin:

Well that was nervy... great start to the tournament
 DaveHK 04 Feb 2017

Jesus, they made us sweat!
Gone for good 04 Feb 2017
In reply to DaveHK:

A team in the ascendency. Scotland past failures being erased with great performances and now some great results. Hogg is a definite for the Lions.
In reply to Gone for good:

Agreed... and I expect we'll see Johnny Gray too. He was in all the right places today

Probably wasn't apparent to the ref (though Polite can be a bit of a lottery on the set piece anyway) but from the overhead camera it was as clear as daylight that the Irish tighthead was driving on the hooker. Scottish scrum probably stronger than it appeared.
In reply to SpaceCaptainTheodore:

Yes. I think you are right. that and the scrum was never straight before the put in (on any of the scrums)

interesting call on May's Tackle.... it looked to me that it was Ficou (sp?) jumping and spinning into the tackle more than May lifting the legs but I guess rules are rules.

andy 04 Feb 2017
In reply to balmybaldwin: england are lucky to be level. They look nothing like the team they were - Lawes looks half the player he was, surprised if Itoje gets through the second half without a yellow - tacking very high.

In reply to andy:

I'm really not convinced by Lawes and haven't been for a long time... seems strange when there is so much competition for second row places that he keeps getting picked when his form is so up and down
 coinneach 04 Feb 2017

On the way back from Murrayfield. What a cracker! One of the stewards said he's never seen so many happy faces on the way out.
 andy 04 Feb 2017
In reply to coinneach:

> On the way back from Murrayfield. What a cracker! One of the stewards said he's never seen so many happy faces on the way out.

Yep - bloody well played Scotland. Expected them to lose after Ireland went ahead but superb defence and took their chances so well.

Joe Launchbury walked off with the look of a beaten man. Really sloppy play by England.
 andy 04 Feb 2017
Haskell's made a difference...
 andy 04 Feb 2017

Bloody hell. How on earth did they win that????

Last 10 mins much improved, but overall not great. hey ho a win is a win.

Picamoles had a great game
In reply to andy:
Care. Mullen. George. Haskell and Teo. That's how!
Post edited at 18:53
 BnB 04 Feb 2017

They say great sides know how to win when they're not playing well. By that measure England are truly great!!
 Coel Hellier 04 Feb 2017
In reply to SpaceCaptainTheodore:

> ... from the overhead camera it was as clear as daylight that the Irish tighthead was driving on the hooker.

You mean you can actually tell which of the two front rows is the one at fault??? Wow!!

Personally I think the scrum laws need revision, since it is nearly impossible to lose a scrum without giving away a penalty (whereas it is very normal to lose a ruck or a lineout without giving away a penalty). Thus, I suggest that most scrum penalty offences should be downgraded to free kicks.

And why did the ref ignore the most blatant scrum feeding by Ireland, and then ping Scotland for a couple of penalties? Which bit of the law about putting the ball in straight is not clear??
In reply to Coel Hellier:
> You mean you can actually tell which of the two front rows is the one at fault??? Wow!!

Well, yes. I played across the front row at schools level and, being somewhat undersized, needed to understand technique more than powering through.

Once you identify the suspicion it's happening, you can stop trying to watch everything else and just watch the prop swing his hips out. The loss of shape in the opposition front row follows.

Even without the question if "who bores first", it's pretty easy to diagnose ifvtge tighthead is driving the hooker and not the loosey. It's a simple question of who's advantaged. In particular, there's no benefit to the hooker driving on the prop - you just loose your shape (which is a significant disadvantage) without really benefiting from any disruption of the opposition. Conversely, as a prop driving in the hooker you really snarl up the opposition's two - even with a strong second row to compensate for the hooker, it just tends to encourage them to buckle. (This is particularly unpleasant). At the same time, it forces the tighthead out and they will need to attempt a counter-bore to compensate. Again, you lose the support of your second row because it requires an extreme angle and disrupts your binding badly and so you end up at a disadvantage.

It seems that many just like to revert to the same old argument that the scrum's an impossibility. With a good viewing position, though, it's not hard to figure out. International refs should get more support from TV officials on this count.

I'd tend to agree that most scrum penalties should be free kicks (as they used to be) but refs increasingly interpret in favour of a balanced outcome. When they can't tell what's going on, they reset. The prifessional scrum is healthier than it has been for a few seasons and it'd probably benefit the game if lawmakers held off going in and blindly fumbling the rules (again). I think it's recognition of this that means feeds aren't heavily policed as it allows a highish completion rate without over many penalties

Horse 04 Feb 2017
In reply to Coel Hellier:

Because, as the head of referring at the IRB (as it then was) said to Brian Moore when he asked about bent feeding:

"We have more important things to worry about." Which rather ignores the fact that if the ball went in straight and the hookers hooked in a contest for the ball most of the other nonsense would go away. The scrum is no a contest for a penalty rather than one to win the ball.
 FactorXXX 04 Feb 2017
In reply to Horse:

Because, as the head of referring at the IRB (as it then was) said to Brian Moore when he asked about bent feeding:
"We have more important things to worry about."

I remember when they changed to 'Crouch, Bind, Set' a few years ago and referees were also directed to enforce straight feeds. In the first few games I saw, this indeed happened and there did seem to be less collapsed scrums.
However, it seems to have now been forgotten and bent feeds are again the norm.
It was actually quite funny when it was realised that a lot of hookers had never actually hooked the ball!
 Dr.S at work 04 Feb 2017
In reply to FactorXXX:

Sad days, the French feed was hilarious.

Great first day, France back, England Spluttering over the line, Scotland Roaring on and Ireland full of Quality - if the Welsh and Italians can come to the party could be a great championship.......and Lions?
 arch 04 Feb 2017
In reply to

Props nowadays are to tall. 6'8" for one of the French props. Ridiculous. No wonder they fall in all the while, they simply can't hold themselves up because of their height, that and having to keep shoulders above hips.

Just go back and watch the '97 Lions on YouTube to see how scrums 'should' be.

Dr.S at work 05 Feb 2017
In reply to arch:

For years I had a Times article describing the techniques used by Wallace and Smith on my bedroom wall.

Have you ever read "how we beat the All Blacks" by the 1971 lions squad? Has some good stuff on tall props.
 Shani 05 Feb 2017

Yep, The Hask and the Carebear were transformative. Real impact from them. Care can disappoint when in a starting lineup. As a sub his ability to read a game quickly, and exploit tired players is superlative. Haskell can be flakey over 80. Over 30 or less he really is solid.

Impressed by Scotland and Hogg in particular. As for Scotland's third try, hilariously good.

I think Ireland will be very dangerous from now on in this competition...
 Horse 05 Feb 2017
In reply to Shani:

Remember that part of the credit to the replacements go to those who were previously out there; they did the softening up/tiring out of the opposition. That allows the fresh legs/lungs to do their stuff. All part of the plan
 JohnnyW 05 Feb 2017

Solid performance from the Italian pack first half. Doubt they'll keep it up though, bless 'em......
OP balmybaldwin 05 Feb 2017
In reply to JohnnyW:

That was disappointing from Italy in the end. A few flashe of brilliance but too many errors and cheap pens.
OP balmybaldwin 11 Feb 2017

So on today's menu is

Italy Vs Ireland - a lovely strarter, but it's looking like a decidedly Green result but you never know

Today's Main course is of course Wales England - one of my favourite matches of the year
 Welsh Kate 11 Feb 2017

The Irish should win. As for The Game - well, anything could happen, but I fear (sorry!) that England will get this one.
 gribble 11 Feb 2017

I'm rather looking forward to the main event. Both teams have had periods of poor showing so far in this 6 nations, and both have shown a certain flair at times. Fingers crossed for a good match with buckets of flair from the start from both teams!
 the sheep 11 Feb 2017
In reply to Welsh Kate:
Well if the Wales England game goes anything like the women's game the Boyo's are in for a torrid time!
In reply to the sheep:
Is there anywhere to watch the women's games? Are they on iplayer?

Not that a thrashing like that is normally worth watching
Post edited at 14:28

Why cant the Italian Scrum half box kick? It's painful to watch them try to clear their lines
 Welsh Kate 11 Feb 2017

There's a round-up on the iPlayer but don't know if they're being shown live. Rather glad I didn't fork out the eleven quid to go see it at the Arms Park this morning!
 Horse 11 Feb 2017
In reply to Welsh Kate:

Women's games and live TV coverage here

http://www.rbs6nations.com/en/women/womens_match_centre.php#UEWs8LoeglIyfet...

think there is a highlights package on BBC. Probably worth a watch the games are pretty good.

Todays affair is already looking like a cricket score.

Welsh Kate 11 Feb 2017
In reply to Horse:

I've always liked women's rugby - twins in the year below me at school were pioneers of the game and both ended up playing for England, I'll catch up on the highlights package later
 FactorXXX 11 Feb 2017

North out, Cuthbert in.
Oh dear...
 Horse 11 Feb 2017
In reply to Welsh Kate:

I am always quite impressed when I see a game after the blokes have finished at Twickenham in the autumn internationals. Usually plenty of skill and entertainment on show.
 the sheep 11 Feb 2017
In reply to Horse:

Always impressed by the women's game. Maggi Alfonsi and Danielle Waterman have been awesome to watch previously and the new girls are doing fantastic stuff too.
Pan Ron 11 Feb 2017

Wales V England superb, whoever wins.
In reply to David Martin:

not sure how much more i can of this my nerves have had it
 FactorXXX 11 Feb 2017

not sure how much more i can of this my nerves have had it

I'm now pacing up and down the room unable to sit down!

and breath....
 FactorXXX 11 Feb 2017

Bugger!
 Horse 11 Feb 2017
In reply to FactorXXX:

Must be time for another twist.

Great game
 FactorXXX 11 Feb 2017
In reply to Horse:

Must be time for another twist.

Alas not, but a truly excellent game!
 Welsh Kate 11 Feb 2017
In reply to FactorXXX:

Damn,
But what a great game!
 Horse 11 Feb 2017
In reply to FactorXXX:

That was proper test match rugby, no quarter given, none asked, thumping tackles, skill and good tries. England dig another one out but boy did they leave it late. Exhausted just watching it.
 FactorXXX 11 Feb 2017
In reply to Horse:

That was proper test match rugby, no quarter given, none asked, thumping tackles, skill and good tries. England dig another one out but boy did they leave it late. Exhausted just watching it.

Well refereed too.
It's good to see Wales playing a more high tempo game, just hope they learn to finish off their opportunities a bit more often though!
(and not keep the ball in field when you've got a chance to hoof it into the stands...)
 Tony Jones 11 Feb 2017
In reply to FactorXXX:

> (and not keep the ball in field when you've got a chance to hoof it into the stands...)

I'll go along with that. Great game though...

Horse 11 Feb 2017
In reply to FactorXXX:

Always a good game when the ref is largely anonymous.

I think I put the mockers on Jonathan Davies, I was just marking his card as MOM when he took that kick.
 coinneach 11 Feb 2017
In reply to Horse:

Cracking test match for the "neutral".

Only two sides can win a Grand Slam now.

( Until about 4pm tomorrow I fear)

Shani 11 Feb 2017
In reply to coinneach:

Awesome game. Unlucky for Wales. Brutal play...a war ot attrition at times. AWJ for Lions captain?
 Horse 11 Feb 2017
In reply to Shani:

Unlucky, steady on no need to get carried away

Problem for AWJ is there are loads of class second rows but he is clearly a leader. Also he s very good in the match blather with Sonja. On the matter of 2nd rows, Courtney has a better game today.
 arch 11 Feb 2017
In reply to FactorXXX:

> Well refereed too.

Agreed.

Every test match should have a French ref, best in the world.

Shani 11 Feb 2017
In reply to Horse:

Hmmm...as an ex-winger maybe i don't pay enough attention to Lawes, but to me he stands too high and gets pushed back in contact....

He's a beast though!
Moley 11 Feb 2017
In reply to Welsh Kate:

> Damn,But what a great game!

Agreed, have to give it to both sides for a proper test, but wrong result, for us.

Watched in our local pub, a good atmosphere and credit where due.
 Jamie B 12 Feb 2017
Can't help thinking that Rhys Webb would have policed that ruck better - ie given the backline time to realign. Davies's kick left Cuthbert massively exposed and Biggar (who would have hoofed it off the park) was in the process of running back. Bad options at crucial times lose games.

Horse 12 Feb 2017
In reply to Jamie B:

Davies is a world class centre, the position he was in is hardly unusual and hoofing the ball into touch from there is a basic skill he should be able to execute. It went horribly wrong. Ford spotted the chance and the lack of defence before he even caught the ball and a great flat pass from Farrell took the defence out of the game. Cuthbert was on a hiding to nothing but showing Daly the outside wasn't a particularly smart move because he has serious speed. The sequence was a microcosm of the game in many ways and such are the fine margins at this level of the sport.
 FactorXXX 12 Feb 2017
In reply to Horse:

Davies is a world class centre, the position he was in is hardly unusual and hoofing the ball into touch from there is a basic skill he should be able to execute. It went horribly wrong. Ford spotted the chance and the lack of defence before he even caught the ball and a great flat pass from Farrell took the defence out of the game. Cuthbert was on a hiding to nothing but showing Daly the outside wasn't a particularly smart move because he has serious speed. The sequence was a microcosm of the game in many ways and such are the fine margins at this level of the sport.

Davies is a left footed kicker, so it might have been better to go an extra phase and/or wait for Biggar to get into position - Davies should still have kicked for touch or found grass though.
However, as you say, that is the fine margins of the sport and I'm sure that the only reason that this is being micro-analysed is because it happened when it did and that it 'lost' Wales the game.
 andy 13 Feb 2017
In reply to FactorXXX:

>However, as you say, that is the fine margins of the sport and I'm sure that the only reason that this is being micro-analysed is because it happened when it did and that it 'lost' Wales the game.

Indeed. Mike Brown had an even worse horror show of a kick earlier in the game where he ran just outside the 22 and hoofed it straight out.
OP balmybaldwin 13 Feb 2017

Speaking of kicking horror shows.... what the hell went on with Scotland's Conversion.... seemed to me the ref was rushing him with still 50s plus left on the clock - very odd.
 Oceanrower 13 Feb 2017

I think, if you look back at the video, it was actually Nathan Hines shouting for it to be taken quickly, not the referee.
 galpinos 13 Feb 2017

I believe they were concerned that the try might be disallowed due to foul play in the build up but once the kick is taken, the try stands, hence the rush.
 galpinos 13 Feb 2017
In reply to Horse:

I don't think Ford, Farrell and Daly got enough credit. Yes, the kick wasn't great but Ford had the vision, Farrell's perfect pass and Daly's finish (it was no walk in, Cuthbert challenged him to beat him on the outside and beat him he did) were what made the try.
OP balmybaldwin 13 Feb 2017
In reply to galpinos:

That makes some sense... although I thought that was the clear and obvious "easy" break away 2nd try... am I misremembering and it was after the first (ground out try?)
 Shani 13 Feb 2017

> Speaking of kicking horror shows.... what the hell went on with Scotland's Conversion.... seemed to me the ref was rushing him with still 50s plus left on the clock - very odd.

Still only the second worst kick at the posts I have seen by a Scottish player. 1991 anyone?
 Pids 13 Feb 2017
In reply to Shani:

> Still only the second worst kick at the posts I have seen by a Scottish player. 1991 anyone?

Hasting's take on that kick

"Looking back, I should never have taken it. But you learn more about yourself in adversity than having success, and I learned a lot about myself.

"The fact I went on to captain the Lions and lead Scotland and, hopefully, continued to play in a positive fashion, is testament to what drove me on as a rugby player.

"If anyone was going to miss the kick, I'm glad it was me. I knew I was capable of enduring that miss, but it annoys me that people might remember me for that. They're pretty small-minded people if that's their attitude towards me."

I would suggest that the Finn Farce on Sat was worse, its just that the outcome wasn't as bad (ok, they still lost both games) - oh these "mercurial" players.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...