UKC

Oberland Ski touring - how late in the year is ok?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
I'm wondering about spending summer half term (27 May-4 June) in the Alps, and was curious to know people's knowledge of how late you can ski tour in the Bernese Oberland? I'm prepared to have to walk a bit, but I would rather not end up carrying skis loads and loads.
 Cellinski 06 Feb 2017
In reply to Tom Chamberlain:

What exactly do you have in mind?

Obviously, what is doable at the end of May is different each year. But usually, the routes starting from Steingletscher (Sustenhorn, Gwächtenhorn) should be good at that time. You might also still find snow at the road on Grimselpass and Furkapass (ok, the latter is not exactly in Bernese Oberland). Moreover, mountains like Doldenhorn, Altels or Balmhorn may still be doable with a bit of walking. Then, there is of course the Jungfrau region where conditions will almost surely be fine. But you have to verify whether the huts are still open and getting back to the valley may require a shorter or longer walk.
 John R 06 Feb 2017

Hello Tom, it's a tricky one to call. There will certainly be places that should be fine ( north end of Fiescher and Aletsch and peaks in that area), but many lower approaches have had big dry gaps in recent years. Once you are in there I would have thought it should be possible to avoid too much lugging of skis, but that may be the thinking of an optimistic old git! Have fun if you do go for it, John Rowlands.
 Doug 06 Feb 2017
In reply to Cellinski:

I remember a good trip from the Steingletscher with a couple of summits (including the Sustenhorn) late in the season, but can't remember dates & as said, it'll vary from year to year.
In reply to John R:

Thanks John! I was looking at a slide of you on top of the Finsteraarhorn the other day - July 1994! I reckon I will go for it, but I'm currently lacking a partner - I hope to solve this though! Tom
 Ian Hey 07 Feb 2017

yes we need to talk soon
In reply to Ian Hey:

That sounds promising Ian! Has my marketing of the idea worked, perchance?!!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...