UKC

OMM sleeping bags - anyone used them?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 r1ch79 07 Feb 2017

Im looking for a lightweight bag pref synth and have had success with primaloft in jackets and gloves esp in wet and have saw OMM making primaloft bags and am thinking this could be what I am after for a 3 season 2-3 day UK bag where down and damp just dont mix

despite the small toe box and outside only zipper has anyone else heard of any issues with these bags

the 1.6 is what I am erring towards but would love some real knowledge of these or any alternatives out there

Im really wondering what sort of warmth they provide for different people and wheere and when these bags have been used

many thanks chaps and chapessess (sp?)
Post edited at 08:59
 Andy Johnson 07 Feb 2017
In reply to wannabeagoat:
No experience of using them, but I've heard/read that they can be quite a snug fit. This might make sleeping in anything other than a thin base layer uncomfortable, and also affect its ability to trap warm air. Personally I like a bit of wriggle room in a bag.

With a bag like this you're trading comfort for low weight. Everyone has different tolerance levels, but I personally find that one uncomfortable night is doable but after that it seriously affects by ability to exert myself. I'd be surprised if the 1.6 provided much comfort below about 8 degC, which to me rules it out as a multi-day *and* 3 season bag. For multi-day I'd go heavier.

I'm a big fan of Mountain Equipment bags, and you might want to check out their Starlight range, which are synthetic. I have a Xero 200 (which is down and weighs about 600g) which is just about 2 season in the UK hills. I had a cold night in it under a tarp at the Fords of Avon last June.

Edit: Interesting comparative review of the 1.6 at https://iancorless.org/2015/04/23/phd-v-yeti-v-omm-sleeping-bag-review/
Post edited at 10:34
OP r1ch79 07 Feb 2017

im just under 6 foot and slim/narrow/skinny/athletic (i like that one)... athletic on top so the width isnt an issue and im a happy back sleeper with my feet interlocked so the size of bag and footbox isnt an issue either

i have been v impressed with primaloft whilst wet and my conumdrm is that i have a very good winter down bag however i want something non down and lighter (mine currently weighs at 1kg)...... I want to knock about 50% off my bag weight so am looking around 500g-570g savings

I have a thermarest xtherm and a couple of bivvi bags to mix and match depending on the weather so I wanted a synth that I can use 3 season saving my down for winter when I need the greater range of protection......

i run warm and use and remainign dry clothes + sleeping bag for nightime warmth
 Andy Johnson 07 Feb 2017

Ultimately it probably comes down to try it and see. One problem with OMM kit is the relatively limited number of shops that stock it, and where you can try before buying. But you won't know if it works for you until you use the bag on the hill.
 Bluebird 07 Feb 2017

I use the 1.0 and it's stunning kit. it's windproof, sleep with thermals and a hat on but nothing more. invest in a mat and you're away.
 dnichols 07 Feb 2017

I use the 1.6 on mountain marathons. With a lightweight down jacket and thermals and with a mat I've been cold at the end of October so I don't find it warm. It's bearable for 1 night though and it packs up small. I'm a bit over 6' and a bit over 12 and a half stone and just about fit in it - it's tight though. The outside only zip is very annoying and doesn't the zip doesn't extend far down the bag. I also find it strange that it's not at the side, just offset from the centre slightly. It does the job for what I want though
 TobyA 07 Feb 2017

Sounds like you know what you are doing and have realistic expectations but my experience of half kilo synthetic bags is they really won't be warm! Alpkit do a lightish synthetic bag now but not sure if it's that light
 SenzuBean 07 Feb 2017

I've got the 1.6. I found it a great piece of kit - especially in summer. I wouldn't really call it 3 season though, it's just not quite warm enough for those really cold spring and autumn nights. When I did use it on those nights, it was always with lots of clothing, and even then I was sometimes quite cold.
It's quite a snug bag, but that suits me fine.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...