UKC

Hooks - film about a long walk

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
pasbury 09 Feb 2017
I really enjoyed this film:

https://www.ukclimbing.com/videos/play.php?i=3206

A 3000 mile walk from Sussex to visit every Bothy in the country and install a hook in each one! It's very long but also very engaging.
 George Fisher 09 Feb 2017
In reply to pasbury:

Watching that a few months ago spurred me to buy a couple of his old books about walking in remote places. Also there's another shorter film about walking the spine of Japan. All good.
 Andypeak 10 Feb 2017
In reply to pasbury:

Loved it.
 ablackett 11 Feb 2017
In reply to pasbury:

Beautiful interesting film. Did he miss out Rackwick Bay on Hoy? it looked like he didn't go over to Hoy, i wonder if it wasn't on his list for some reason.
 Bimble 11 Feb 2017
In reply to pasbury:

Thanks for that, it was just the trick for a cold damp afternoon while the dogs steamed in front of the fire. Really enjoyable stuff.
Rigid Raider 11 Feb 2017
In reply to pasbury:

He missed out many bothies, I suspect the most popular or accessible ones or the ones where he encountered other people, for example Camasunary on Skye, which is a deluxe cottage with several rooms and only a few miles from Kilmarie on the road so popular with big parties and odd solitary dossers, as we found....

But yes, a great film. He must be a geologist. I liked the way he was in tune with the landscape and his own developing sense of the lay of the land; I find I can often find my way around English villages because they often follow the same historical reasons for their growth, you can also be in touch with the landscape when you understand the underlying geology.
 d_b 12 Feb 2017
In reply to pasbury:

That was brilliant.
 d_b 12 Feb 2017
In reply to Rigid Raider:

He visited a lot more than he mentioned. If you look closely at the map segments a lot of the gaps are filled in.

I noticed the garbh coire howff appeared briefly, but no el alamein.
Rigid Raider 12 Feb 2017
In reply to pasbury:

As far as I could see he filmed it on a digital SLR or similar. With the film edited down to 1 hour 50, how many hours of video must he have shot, assuming that for some of the shots of himself he must have set it up, walked away, walked into shot then walked back to the camera? There must have been plenty of days when he just couldn't be bothered to film or perhaps was in low spirits or low on battery.
 d_b 12 Feb 2017
In reply to Rigid Raider:

He said in the youtube comments that he used a panasonic lx-5.

Mark Kemball 12 Feb 2017
In reply to pasbury:

Thanks for that "heads up" - I really enjoyed it.
 Siward 12 Feb 2017
In reply to Mark Kemball:

Me too, well worth a watch.
 sg 12 Feb 2017
In reply to pasbury:

Thank you so much for flagging. Watched half this morning then got the whole family sat down and we watched it all this evening. Absolutely brilliant; so inspiring; all the different threads of the film work perfectly together so at the same time it feels like so much more than just a film about a long walk and yet it is still exactly that.
 eschaton 15 Feb 2017
In reply to pasbury:

What a fantastic film, I enjoyed the quirky additions (pneumatic drill midgie for example or the explanation of the geological process using pitta bread and peanut butter) and the superimposed charts as much as the breadth of knowledge and the sense of quiet enjoyment that Stephen exuded.
 eschaton 15 Feb 2017
In reply to pasbury:

As a small aside, does anyone know what rucksack cover he was using throughout, i've been looking for something exactly like it for ages.
 PM 16 Feb 2017
In reply to pasbury:

Thanks for the pointer to this - really enjoyed it. Got the gears turning for planning something, though probably not quite on such a scale.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...