UKC

Blencathra

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Trangia 14 Feb 2017
Who watched this on BBC4 tonight?

It got better and better, particularly the winter scenes.

Fantastic photography and filming.
 Chris Harris 14 Feb 2017
In reply to Trangia:

Not many people, it seems.

My thread didn't get a response either.

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=658558

estivoautumnal 14 Feb 2017
In reply to Trangia:

I thought it was really dull. Formulaic documentary style filming with a few interviews with some boring hill types. However, making a documentary about a round lump in the Lakes is a bit of a challenge and I guess they made a good effort for a dull subject.
OP Trangia 14 Feb 2017
In reply to Chris Harris:

Sorry I didn't pick up on yours before or I would have responded rather than start a new thread!

Oh well, those who didn't see it missed out here. I recommend they catch up on BBC iPlayer.......
OP Trangia 14 Feb 2017
In reply to estivoautumnal:

I agree that the interviews were not that exciting, but thought the filming/photography was really good.

Was going to say you have no photographic taste, but then I looked at your profile photo of the Dru, so I'll shut up..........
 Ridge 14 Feb 2017
In reply to Trangia:

Recorded it to watch later. Will probably fast forward the interviews
 Chris Harris 14 Feb 2017
In reply to Trangia:

> Sorry I didn't pick up on yours before or I would have responded rather than start a new thread!Oh well, those who didn't see it missed out here. I recommend they catch up on BBC iPlayer.......

No need to apologise!

General thoughts/responses.

Visually enjoyable.

Interviews - local people, not professional interviewees. Apart from that sodding Eric Robson.

There's only so much you can say about a hill.

I think for most of us, our enjoyment/appreciation of the outdoors is a very personal, internal thing & that sort of stuff is not easy to communicate. Good writing in climbing is not easy.

Quite liked the choir.
estivoautumnal 14 Feb 2017
In reply to Trangia:

I agree that the filming was top quality. But the documentary (for me) didn't quite hold together. There was an odd mix of seasons in the time line of shots. Winter scenes mixed with summer.

My Dru shot was taken with a 1st generation digital compact camera 15+ years ago, with less resolution that an iPhone, so don't put too much emphasis on that. My occupation is film maker, so make of the what you will.
 Wainers44 15 Feb 2017
In reply to Trangia:

Watched it. Really liked it.

Not really subject material for a cutting edge documentary but who cares....

I am just a sucker for TV on mountain areas..scenery..people...history etc so I enjoyed it all. Sad seeing Sarah on her farm talking about those devastating floods. The shots of the damage didn't show how bad it really was.

Best thing was the bit on Sharp Edge...only because it will help keep the masses from Halls Fell which is way better
 Rob Parsons 15 Feb 2017
In reply to Trangia:

Other than being 'those guys from the telly', what was the point of Stuart Maconie and Ed Byrne?
 Jim Walton 15 Feb 2017
In reply to Trangia:

Unless it was on when I went for a wee, they didn't mention the White cross of Stones on the Saddle between the teo summits. I always thought that was rather wonderful secret item on the mountain, perhaps that's why they left it out.

The floods were significantly more devastating than the film showed, a drone shot of them would have given a better emphasis (everyone's a critic...)
 graeme jackson 15 Feb 2017
In reply to Trangia:

I've recorded it so don't give the end away.
 graeme jackson 15 Feb 2017
In reply to Rob Parsons:

> Other than being 'those guys from the telly', what was the point of Stuart Maconie and Ed Byrne?

Not sure about Maconie but Ed Byrne is a serious hillwalker.
In reply to Trangia:

Terry Abraham is an exceptional photographer/film-maker with an intense love of the hills/mountains, and a huge amount of dedication to his work. He started off making videos as a hobby, but they were so good that he was soon doing it commercially and it became a full-time job. He does it the hard way, the proper way, spending an enormous amount of time bivvying on location, usually on his own, and is rewarded accordingly. He does all the editing and post-production himself (not sure about this latest one: was probably more part of a team).
 lummox 15 Feb 2017
In reply to graeme jackson:

Isn't Maconie President of the Wainwright Society or something ?
Bellie 15 Feb 2017
In reply to Rob Parsons:

The BBC version was an abridged version of the original. I think in the full version there is the interview with Stuart who talks more about his love of walking in the Lakes and a bit about Blencathra. Then showing him and Ed doing Sharp Edge follows that up.

You can see the Stuart interview on its own on Youtube.

In reply to Trangia:
> Who watched this on BBC4 tonight?It got better and better, particularly the winter scenes.Fantastic photography and filming.

Have not seen the film, but spoke to him before he made it. There are particular problems with Blencathra that do not get discussed - the horrendous path-building, the mini-digger "landscaping", the over-use, piles of dog sh1t everywhere, perhaps garden gnomes will be next. I hope the film covered the Blencathra hunt anyway.
 Root1 15 Feb 2017
In reply to Trangia:
I really enjoyed it. Superb photography and put to some good music. I could have watched it all day.

Dave Hewitt 15 Feb 2017
In reply to lummox:

> Isn't Maconie President of the Wainwright Society or something ?

He's patron of Coniston MRT. Decent bloke from what I can gather (via family connections to the team).
 Wainers44 15 Feb 2017
In reply to Dave Cumberland:

Nope nothing on the hunt, but they did talk about the digger path repairs.

Can't say that the film told me anything I didn't already know about the area, but the films, stills and colours were pretty stunning.

The chap bemoaning the loss of community spirit in Threlkeld was a glass half empty sort of a chap. As places go, I wouldn't think it's that bad a place to live!
In reply to Bellie:
That insightful interview with Stuart is really good and contrasts rather with his main appearance with Ed Byrne which was rather too comedic for my liking.
 Glyno 15 Feb 2017
In reply to Trangia:
I recorded it and looked forward to watching it this afternoon, I found it a bit hard work to be honest.
Predictably, lots of time lapse of clouds and drone photography.

edit: In fairness, some of the stills were really good.
Post edited at 19:52
 Dave the Rave 15 Feb 2017
In reply to Rob Parsons:

> Other than being 'those guys from the telly', what was the point of Stuart Maconie and Ed Byrne?

Ed Byrne I don't get. He and his sort saw the end of The Great Outdoors as a readable magazine.
Stuart Maconie, on the other hand is quite funny.
Lusk 15 Feb 2017
In reply to Dave the Rave:
> Stuart Maconie, on the other hand is quite funny.

I like him. Have you read any of his books?
The two I've read were enjoyable amusing reads.
Post edited at 20:57
In reply to Wainers44:

> The chap bemoaning the loss of community spirit in Threlkeld was a glass half empty sort of a chap. As places go, I wouldn't think it's that bad a place to live!

Threlkeld is a shadow of its former self due to increasing second home ownership and incoming retirees. The Horse & Farrier is owned by a hedge fund. Beer is too expensive in all pubs and the youth and working blokes can't afford to go in regularly. On Boxing Day the Farrier was proof that the end of the era has been and gone. The Salutation is equally expensive, but you do get Sky sports. The grotesque vindictive class-driven foxhunting ban has hit Threlkeld culturally and the ordinary working people (who mostly vote Conservative of course). The locals do need to step up and keep it going.
 Dave the Rave 15 Feb 2017
In reply to Lusk:

> I like him. Have you read any of his books?The two I've read were enjoyable amusing reads.

I haven't but I liked him on Radcliffe and Maconie. Those two are funny as fcuk! And they walked along Hadrians wall drinking beer.
 Dave Hewitt 15 Feb 2017
In reply to Dave the Rave:

> I haven't but I liked him on Radcliffe and Maconie. Those two are funny as fcuk! And they walked along Hadrians wall drinking beer.

I'm pretty sure he's either completed - or is working on - a round of Wainwrights, so there's a local connection and a level of fell-knowledge as well as the link with Coniston MRT mentioned upthread.
 Wainers44 16 Feb 2017

> Threlkeld is a shadow of its former self due to increasing second home ownership and incoming retirees. The Horse & Farrier is owned by a hedge fund. Beer is too expensive in all pubs and the youth and working blokes can't afford to go in regularly. On Boxing Day the Farrier was proof that the end of the era has been and gone. The Salutation is equally expensive, but you do get Sky sports. The grotesque vindictive class-driven foxhunting ban has hit Threlkeld culturally and the ordinary working people (who mostly vote Conservative of course). The locals do need to step up and keep it going.

The house price and second home issue isn't just a problem in the Lakes and been done to death on UKC. No easy answers.

I agree the Horse is a prime example of a food pub with no connection with the community. However I think you need to turn the rose colour down on your specs. You are implying that back in the day all the jolly locals could afford their pints and all was great.

I have only ever lived in villages and locals and their pubs have always had a variety of times...good and bad...relative comfort and bust!

The pub is only one of the things which draws people together and it's the strength of all these things that counts. "Incoming retirees" are often the ones with a bit of time on their hands to help run some of the community stuff. If they are encouraged to that is.

Simon Caldwell 16 Feb 2017

Another contribution to the decline of rural pubs is that drinking and driving is no longer socially acceptable, so clientel is restricted to those within walking distance and those whose primary aim is to eat. Hardly surprising that most pubs now concentrate more on food than beer.
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

Both you and Wainers have made valid points that I would agree with. With respect, the glasses are not pink: In the past, the Farrier and often the Sally were full of climbers, but then the Summer eves were warmer and drier and there were more climbers then as a result.
The Police have had a major impact on rural life which I believe operates in a different way to metropolitan areas. No one condones bad driving, but it seems most people get away with it, and only a tiny proportion pay a very high price.
Writing to the MP about fiscal regime, beer prices, rural life is often a useful ploy in campaigning for the protection and sustenance of rural traditions. A holiday rental/second homes tax would be more socially useful than a beer tax for example. Our lives are sadly driven by tax rules and rates.
DC
James Jackson 16 Feb 2017
In reply to Trangia:

When my grandparents retired from farming (in Ennerdale), they moved to Mungrisdale, sitting right under the foothills of Blencathra. We frequently pottered up of a spare day. With those memories in mind, I really enjoyed watching this.
 DaveHK 16 Feb 2017
In reply to Trangia:

I thought this was a lovely little film.
 wercat 16 Feb 2017
In reply to Trangia:
I was pottering round on some small not quite fully formed icefalls above Scales Tarn and noticed a strange noise. When safe I looked around and saw a largish drone high up, there for quite a while. It was quite distracting so I remembered it and the next day I googled "Blencathra drone" to see if anyone else had seen it and knew anything. The first thing that turned up was the blog about making the film referring to the fact they'd just shot the final footage in winter conditions that day so I guess "I was there" but invisible!
Post edited at 21:48
 Newbuild100 18 Feb 2017
In reply to Trangia:

Great tv, apart from Hinkes !
 Dell 18 Feb 2017
In reply to keith-ratcliffe:

> That insightful interview with Stuart is really good and contrasts rather with his main appearance with Ed Byrne which was rather too comedic for my liking.

But Ed Byrne is a comedian!
 DancingOnRock 18 Feb 2017
In reply to Wainers44:

> Nope nothing on the hunt, but they did talk about the digger path repairs.Can't say that the film told me anything I didn't already know about the area, but the films, stills and colours were pretty stunning.The chap bemoaning the loss of community spirit in Threlkeld was a glass half empty sort of a chap. As places go, I wouldn't think it's that bad a place to live!

He made me chuckle. I wondered what he'd done to try and create a more community spirit.

I'm a bit bored with cliched time lapse shots of clouds rushing over mountains and reflected in lakes.

Liked the comment about not going up Blencathra if you're a local. It's mad, why would you go up there?

The bad step can be very nasty, they could have taken some really scary shots of it with the drone. Missed a trick there. There's a reason they call it "The Usual Gully". Maybe they didn't want to attract too many thrill seekers.
In reply to Dell:
Yes and Stuart Maconie is usually very witty - I just thought that they hammed it up too much.
 Dave the Rave 18 Feb 2017
In reply to Dell:

> But Ed Byrne is a comedian!

Each to their own.
 ashpreston 18 Feb 2017
I've been up there loads of times, maybe 200 or so running, walking and camping and never seen one dog shit!
 wercat 19 Feb 2017
In reply to DancingOnRock:
I watched that part again and I sensed inverted commas round that viewpoint. He was very matter of fact about his opinion and didn't seem to be moaning about it all. His opinion was based on real differences between then and now. I suspect these criticisms are based on knee-jerk stereotyping of his quiet expression of his views

Overall I enjoyed the film, better than the Scafell Pike effort, but I too don't enjoy over use of time lapse or false speed replay. Also the colours seemed false at some points (based on hundreds of ascents and other encounters from the distance) - though I'd have to see it on proper screen to judge as it may be an attribute of flat screen TVs
Post edited at 10:52
 wercat 19 Feb 2017
In reply to ashpreston:

They are very common and awkward to avoid on the path that rises eastwards from the cottage with a tiny layby on the A66. I rarely don't see a turd or three along that bit, based again on hundreds of ascents
 wercat 19 Feb 2017
In reply to keith-ratcliffe:
I had an idea for an installation. How about sitting on Sharp Edge on a summer's day building an Airfix model of a traction engine?

Any volunteers?
Post edited at 10:55
In reply to ashpreston:
> I've been up there loads of times, maybe 200 or so running, walking and camping and never seen one dog shit!

wercat has it right, and you must be blind.
Effing dog walkers are a curse.
DC
In reply to ashpreston:

> I've been up there loads of times, maybe 200 or so running, walking and camping and never seen one dog shit!

Try the path up Mousthwaite Combe.
 ERB 23 Feb 2017
In reply to estivoautumnal:

Typical BBC tosh more about people that can aford to look at it, talk about it or paint it, the photography was great but mountains dont automaticly equal classical music, just made for a target audiance who obviosly buy Rab.
 wercat 23 Feb 2017
In reply to ERB:

why yer reet, one RAB sleepin bag, twenti fyiv yers aald
Medleysdad 08 Mar 2017
In reply to graeme jackson:

Mr Maconie is a Wainwright completer. So he has climbed a few hills!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...