UKC

Gite Vagabond

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mypyrex 16 Feb 2017
Thinking of booking in for couple of nights before and after the TMB.
What's it like? Recommended?
 jon 16 Feb 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

Treat yourself to a nice hotel to celebrate. Live it up!
 Niblet 16 Feb 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

It's cheap and close to town. On the down side the rooms are pretty crowded when full and I imagine it's pretty hot at night in the summer. If the price is important I'd recommend it. Not sure how the alternatives compare though.
 robert-hutton 16 Feb 2017
In reply to Niblet:
Gîte Michel Fagot in Les Houches is very nice good food and happy to keep any travel bags, plus is about 20 meters from the start or finish of the TMB.
Post edited at 18:19
OP mypyrex 16 Feb 2017
In reply to robert-hutton:

> Gîte Michel Fagot in Les Houches
Emailed them about booking but they did not reply Can't find any means of booking on line.

What's Les Houches like for eateries, bars etc. Looks a bit dull on street view.
 robert-hutton 16 Feb 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

Might not be open yet for the year don't think it opens until April, think the mother and daughter works in a ski resort, try phoning up the tourist office in Les Houches.

But sure you will get in with a bit of notice.

The village has a few bars and restaurants but yes quite, but the bus frequently goes to Chamonix, we only stay one night on arrival and one more on finishing.
 Doug 16 Feb 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

several years since I stayed there but was very noisy till very late into the night
 Pete Houghton 16 Feb 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

> What's Les Houches like for eateries, bars etc. Looks a bit dull on street view.

I used to work in Les Houches, but lived in Cham or Argentiere. Oftentimes, when talking to people, the first thing they would say after being asked where they lived, was "I actually live in Les Houches, and do you know, it's really not that bad!"

The presence of the qualifier there speaks volumes.

That said, the Kitsch Inn is a pretty great place to hang out, right under the cable car wires, and Le Delice has a reputation for good food these days.

But they are still down in Les Houches, "The Armpit of Chamonix".
craigloon 16 Feb 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

Vagabond is very "dude-ish".

I would recommend Gite La Tapia:

http://www.latapia.com

Best gite in Chamonix, much less noisy, clean, good rooms and short walk to the excellent Micro-Brasserie de Chamonix and the rest of the town attractions.
 static266 16 Feb 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

I stayed there before and after the TMB, nice place, good beer in the bar and not too busy in June.
 petenebo 16 Feb 2017
In reply to Doug:

Sorry.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...