UKC

First alpine season in chamonix

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BenCollis 18 Feb 2017
I've just done winter mountaineering courses at Plas y Brenin and Glenmore Lodge and wanted to take those skills to the Alps. But I don't know any climbers. Can i just head out with my tent and look around for other climbers there or will I end up spending one month soloing? I also considered taking less experienced friends who have summer scrambling experience and are weak climbers, but I'm worried we would end up messing up badly.

I'm excited to get some experience but I'm also worried that I'll be doing that alone.

Any tips?
 beh 18 Feb 2017
In reply to BenCollis:

Getting on a Conville course is worthwhile - http://www.jcmt.org.uk/courses/ People mostly staying at the same campsite in Argentiere so you inevitably end up climbing with them afterwards.

It's not that important if your friends aren't great climbers, they just need to be safe. Starting out I'd imagine you'll mostly be slogging up glaciers and then scrambling up the last bit, nothing too technical.

Otherwise try looking/posting in the lifts & partners forum nearer the time, very likely to be others in a similar position.
 Mark Haward 19 Feb 2017
In reply to BenCollis:

Yes, you can just head out and meet potential climbing partners but as a novice alpine climber yourself it may be hard to judge how competent or 'safe' they are.
I would also recommend a course such as Conville. Other more in depth courses are provided by groups such as ISM, Jagged Globe and Icicle. These are a quick way to learn and can provide you with an excellent foundation of knowledge and skills to then apply. More expensive but personalised would be a week 1:1 with a guide.
Usually the Conville attendees stay on for several more weeks of climbing after the course so that is a particularly good way of finding a climbing partner - remember that the course attendees are still alpine novices though.
Joining a local mountaineering club who climb in the Alps is another option, as would be finding someone on the UKC forum. However, there is no guarantee that they are as skilled or competent as they say or think they are. At least meet up and do some climbing with them before you go to the Alps.
I recommend buying Bruce Goodlad's book Alpine Mountaineering. Many people find the 'self taught' route works for them and this book will provide excellent knowledge and skills for you and any potential partner. You can practice the skills in the UK before you go and again when in the Alps. You may also be able to judge another person's expertise more readily after reading the book.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...