UKC

Climber dies after falling in Cairngorms

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kolkrabe 22 Feb 2017
Someone in work mentioned this http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-39050388

"Police in Aviemore were alerted to the climber's fall at Aladdin's Couloir, Coire an t-Sneachda, in the Northern Corries at about midday." - Anyone know what nick that area is in just now?
 alexm198 22 Feb 2017
In reply to kolkrabe:

Really sad news.

Latest SAIS blog for the N. Cairngorms makes it look very bare indeed. I'm assuming when you ask about conditions, it's because it seems strange to hear of a winter climbing-related fatality when there's not much winter climbing to be done?

If it's just an unrelated conditions request then that's perhaps a bit insensitive.
In reply to alexm198:

According to a friend who was in the area, it's almost summer conditions and it appears to be a wind related incident. Only posting this to fend off any speculation.

Terribly sad and my thoughts are with the friends and family.
 SteveHolmes 22 Feb 2017
In reply to kolkrabe:

I was in the Gorms for a look yesterday. Seen many teams in Aladdin's but was already off the hill before incident.
Photos from yesterday, although meant to have snowed a little today.....

https://www.facebook.com/verticalfevermountainguides/posts/1273730416051075
OP kolkrabe 22 Feb 2017
In reply to alexm198:
"I'm assuming when you ask about conditions, it's because it seems strange to hear of a winter climbing-related fatality when there's not much winter climbing to be done?"

That is what I meant yeah, on re-reading my post I realise that it was pretty vague and could easily be misinterpreted as an unrelated conditions request - apologies for that.

It is very sad news indeed.
Post edited at 17:44
 alasdair19 23 Feb 2017
In reply to kolkrabe:

All the snow in the corrie was bullet hard and ran out into boulder fields.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...