UKC

Any climbers with kidney disease out there?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Noo Noo 24 Feb 2017
Hi All

I'm new on here, and started climbing 6 weeks or so ago.

3 years ago I was diagnosed with kidney disease. Typically for me I went about it the Monopoly way in straight to Stage 4, did not pass Go and did not collect $200. Thankfully the condition has been stable since that initial diagnosis and a fair tonnage of medication.

Other than diet and frequent monitoring there's been little impact on my life. The condition, doesn't stop me doing anything really. For me any physical exercise is good. The improvement in my well being that I feel after anything physical is quite dramatic. So the more the merrier as far as I'm concerned.

Anyway, thanks to some friends tried some climbing, enjoyed it immensely and I now visit my local wall once a week. Now I'm desperate to improve every aspect of my climbing. I jog 3-4 times a week, I'm trying to lose weight and I've basically become a sponge for anything on technique and skills etc. I'll also start looking at some basic exercises I can do in the house to help me along too.

Apart from the obvious technique issues I am finding my stamina becomes an issue as my evening's climbing draws on. Not sure how much is down to my kidney issues or just that I'm starting a completely new activity.

Anyhow, just wondering if there's others out there with similar issues or just as important any tips and information to set us further down the road.
 johncook 24 Feb 2017
In reply to Noo Noo:

I have poor functioning kidneys. their functionality varies.
You may find that your endurance is due to climbing being a new sport for you. Endurance can be helped by good technique, mostly learning to use your feet well and not pulling too hard. It will improve the more you climb.
Enjoy climbing, it is a great, total commitment sport that takes you away from other problems.
Noo Noo 24 Feb 2017
In reply to johncook:

Yes most probably. I'm using my body in a completely new way now with the climbing. I guess I'm a little impatient and being a little older I dont have the fitness levels I used to.

Unsurprisingly as the grade of climb gets higher and / or I get more tired the technique falters.

Still its great fun and I feel like I learn a little something every session.
 johncook 24 Feb 2017
In reply to Noo Noo:

Just for the record, I am 67. Just about everyone has technique problems at the limit of their grade. Work on technique in a controlled way (learn new techniques at a lower level than your best grade), keep climbing and endurance will come.
 Alan Rubin 24 Feb 2017
In reply to Noo Noo:

I was diagnosed with stage 3 kidney disease about 6 years ago--along with several other complicating issues. I received treatment, including some related surgery, and take some medication and, thankfully, everything has remained stable since then. I had been a climber for many years prior to the diagnosis, and after recovering from the initial issues, have been able to keep up my climbing and basically my earlier level since then. I am no 'kid'--71--so am obviously dealing with the impact of ageing on my climbing performance, but still am keeping very active and climbing at a 'respectable' standard. So go for it!!!!
Noo Noo 25 Feb 2017
In reply to Alan Rubin:

Good to hear Alan.

In a weird kind of way its made me want to be more active, get out there and look after myself more.

Shame that this thing called work and stuff gets in the way!
grubus 26 Feb 2017
In reply to Noo Noo:

I was diagnosed with the kidney (and other effects) Polycystic Kidney Disease when I fell off a mountain bike about 20 years ago and suffered a bad kidney bleed. Since then I ski my age, have stopped ski randonee,avoid falling off when climbing and avoid rattling around on bikes. I find long hard days difficult and suffer flank pain on long back-packing or skiing days. I find that sticks help a lot with avoiding shock to my kidneys. I eat and drink very carefully, keep weight and blood-pressure under control, try to stay fit.
I'm 70 now and still enjoying the outdoors.. Good luck and just take things sensibly. To quote the cliché, learn to listen to your body.
It may be that you find some activities knackering because they are!
Noo Noo 26 Feb 2017
In reply to grubus:

hi Grubus. Good to read about another person with a positive outlook, remaining active and the key thing, trying to learn about their body and look after themselves.

I'm certainly finding the climbing quite physically demanding. Good thing though as I like that tired feeling following a good work out. Blood pressure drops dramatically and everything is good.

|I'm also finding the mental side a challenge. Bit like learning to walk all over again. Last session I struggled on part of a 6a which has bugged me ever since in trying to think how I can get round it next time. A really high but close foot hold on the right leading to a sloper above it. I cant reach that sloper without getting a little higher on that foothold first. I'm not quite tall enough to make the foothold and push up.
Noo Noo 08 Mar 2017
Thought I'd bump this up there.

I'm still going, still enjoying it and even getting some gentle lead climbing in now.

Technique still stinks but hopefully that will get better over time. Not being the tallest of people I really struggle on some routes where things get a little stretchy. I find I have to be a bit more dynamic than perhaps I should be. And that really bugs me if I'm honest. Especially if the next hold is a sloper / pinch where you really want to be full in control grabbing it.

Stamina and strength is my main concern at the moment. The arms have been given quite a shock by starting climbing. They haven't really done much since my old rugby days so they simply haven't got the strength or the stamina that they used to.

So I need a basic, at home strength / stamina gain programme that I can complement my Tuesday night climbing with. I do a bit of jogging in the week to help on the cardio side and, cross fingers help to lose a little weight). I've rigged a basic pull up bar across the stairs up to our attic. A bit of work on there will help.

Any other suggestions please?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...