UKC

A girl works on her fear of falling [Video]

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 natetan 27 Feb 2017
This video shows my friend Dei making some huge progress as she works on her fear of falling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sKaRlBmgZA&t=25s

Clearly, as a psychological aspect of climbing, its something that is different for different people.. but this process really seemed to work with Dei so I thought I would share it here.

I also think it is pretty amazing how much her fear was held her back when compared to her actual ability!
 chrisbevins 28 Feb 2017
In reply to natetan:

Nice one! How is she getting on now? How often per week to you recommend this kind of thing for someone starting out?
 Greasy Prusiks 28 Feb 2017
In reply to natetan:

Good effort! She looked proper nervous but made some really good progress.

Trad episode next week?
 jezb1 28 Feb 2017
In reply to chrisbevins:

> How often per week to you recommend this kind of thing for someone starting out?

Every time you go climbing sport or indoors.
OP natetan 28 Feb 2017
In reply to Greasy Prusiks:

Haha that would be a pretty fun thing to watch!

Totally game for doing that some time.
 Elsier 28 Feb 2017
In reply to natetan:

Thanks for sharing, it's an inspiring film!

I think Dei must be actually pretty brave though, as I'm not sure I'd be able to persuade myself to climb so high above the clip and then let go, especially when trying to clip, that would terrify me! (Although in all fairness she looks pretty terrified but still manages somehow to do it!) I'm trying a bit more of a gradual process for falling practice (at the indoor wall at the moment) and trying to build up to that.

RawPhunky 01 Mar 2017
In reply to natetan:

Wow this is very inspiring... Do you know how that girl is doing right now?
OP natetan 02 Mar 2017
In reply to Elsier:

Yes, she really engaged and tried hard.. plus trusted that the falls I set up were safe and I was not putting her in danger.

The main thing is to make sure you're safe and then just engage with the process! If in doubt check in with a pro who can help - e.g. Hazel Findlay does this kind of coaching. I think it made a big difference with Dei that she was being helped through the process... plus when someone is on a rope with a camera it's harder to back out
 Fakey Rocks 02 Mar 2017
In reply to natetan:

Where were you climbing...? Looks great
In reply to Rock to Fakey:
I'm not the guy in the video but in answer to your question it's Tonsai Bay in Thailand, beautiful spot. Cliffs on the beach and there was wonderful weather when I was there. Can't wait to go back!

edit: typo
Post edited at 11:42
OP natetan 02 Mar 2017
In reply to jezb1:

Second that!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...