UKC

A different sort of climbing wall

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jim Nevill 03 Mar 2017
Came across this, a rather amusing variant on indoor walls. The video of a (Canadian) version is worth a quick look, though the soundtrack may not suit all tastes:
http://clipnclimbcambridge.co.uk/
Not seen prior mention of this, but perhaps I'm out of touch?
 rallymania 03 Mar 2017
In reply to Jim Nevill:

they have a similar thing at ratho
 shaymarriott 03 Mar 2017
In reply to Jim Nevill:

There's one at Bloc in Bristol.

Seems fairly popular with kids/birthday parties, but I think most people would have preferred if if they had just used the space for more routes.
 dilatory 03 Mar 2017
In reply to Jim Nevill:

Beacon in Caernarfon have similar too. Looks like it'd be fun with non climbing friends maybe but I'd rather get them into bouldering hah.
 Lord_ash2000 03 Mar 2017
In reply to Jim Nevill:
They are popping up all over the place and a lot of climbing wall manufactures now have their own versions as well. Mainly aimed at kids etc, its more of a play activity than 'climbing' as we would understand it. Seems to be plenty of money in them anyway.
Post edited at 11:35
 Fakey Rocks 03 Mar 2017
In reply to shaymarriott:
+ Redpoint, + Quay Exeter, + Warehouse Gloucester...
Perhaps some walls would struggle to be profitable without one, especially through summer, can imagine they derive a fair bit of revenue through them all year, mostly group + party bookings.
Post edited at 11:56
 Ramblin dave 03 Mar 2017
In reply to Jim Nevill:
We went to the Cambridge one recently. It was quite fun as a one-off - it'd make a good office outing, for instance - but it's definitely no substitute for a regular wall.

It's a very novice-oriented setup, as well - no rock shoes allowed, crappy wall harnesses only, and you have to get a member of staff to clip you in and out of each line with a lock-and-key carabiner...
Post edited at 12:06
OP Jim Nevill 03 Mar 2017
In reply to Ramblin dave:

Interesting that there are so many, I didn't know. Agree that 'real' walls are preferable, but a fun day for bored kids.
 Al_Mac 03 Mar 2017
In reply to shaymarriott:

But the benefit is that 1hr of clip'n'climb costs the same as an entire day at a climbing wall, which gives the opportunity to the centres to invest more money into their existing climbing facilities.
 jezb1 03 Mar 2017
In reply to Jim Nevill:

Centres make lots of their money from kids parties etc so the clipnclimb is a winner. Great to see people having fun on them
Jimbocz 03 Mar 2017
In reply to Jim Nevill:

While on holiday we went to the Beacon in Caernarfon and my kids really went crazy over the clip and climb. They loved it and constantly ask to go back, and ask to go to local walls as well.
Malarkey 03 Mar 2017
In reply to Jim Nevill:

It looks a lot of fun to me.

I actually enjoy climbing walls where they set interesting parkour and gymnastic style problems - rather than just pull hard, get stronger, pull harder.

The kids wouldn't get a look in.
 djwilse 03 Mar 2017
In reply to Jim Nevill:

There's an extensive one at Kendal Wall - 'Crazy Climb'- as mentioned great for kids parties etc. i.e keeping them away from us 'proper'climbers ; )
http://www.kendalwall.co.uk/instruction-overview/new-kendal-crazyclimb/craz...
 GrahamD 03 Mar 2017
In reply to Cloverleaf:

> But the benefit is that 1hr of clip'n'climb costs the same as an entire day at a climbing wall, which gives the opportunity to the centres to invest more money into their existing climbing facilities.

Not in Cambridge, unfortunately - there aren't any existing (leading) climbing facilities.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...