/ REVIEW: DMM Mantis belay device

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Lowering on a 9.7mm single - the deep rope grooves give plenty of grip, 4 kbIt's light, it offers loads of grip for secure belaying, and it works smoothly on a range of rope diameters - what's not to like? Dan Bailey takes a look this simple but effective belay device from DMM.

Read more
nufkin - on 03 Mar 2017
In reply to UKC Gear:

What's it like used 'backwards' (dead rope over the smooth side, rather than the grooves)? Any better for thicker ropes, or unnecessary? Do DMM have an opinion on whether it's even a good idea or not?
Otis - on 03 Mar 2017
In reply to UKC Gear:

Hurrah-and about time! Would happily have bought one of these a year or so ago when they were first announced. Ended up with the pivot instead, which is lovely to belay with. I reckon the mantis would be great for 99% of the time for me, but I can't justify buying another shiny toy now I have my pivot (can't I?!?)
beardy mike - on 03 Mar 2017
In reply to UKC Gear:

Bought one at UCR yesterday as I left my main belay device at the place in Italy, and was impressed with it. Was using a 10mm single and it was smooth to pay out - was grabby a couple of times, but I think that is down to using a new device as much as anything else. Certainly an improvement on my previous tuber device...
Dr.S at work - on 03 Mar 2017
In reply to beardy mike:

> Certainly an improvement on my previous tuber device...

I'm surprised your partners have not all collected their Chips!

I'll get me coat.......
ads.ukclimbing.com
beardy mike - on 03 Mar 2017
In reply to Dr.S at work:

unnnnnnggggggggghhhhhhh...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.