UKC

Help finding my first expedition

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
tomeaton17 04 Mar 2017
Hello, I am a 17 year old in my last year of college and I am going to be taking a gap year next year. At the moment I am climbing indoors at around a 6b level, and I have been climbing outdoors in North Wales a few times. I am looking to go on an adventure for my gap year, so climbing up a mountain. I am a bit stuck here, as I have had a look, at alot of the beginner mountains seem like they are just a cold trek, whereas I am looking for something with a bit of climbing in.

I have no experience in ice/winter climbing, so I assume that I would have to learn some basic skills before I went on an expedition.

So please may people help me find the best way to get myself prepared for an expedition, and idea of what expeditions might be suitable for me.

Many thanks,

Tom
 Smythson 04 Mar 2017
In reply to tomeaton17:

You'll need to acquire a fair bit of experience before you're doing much more than a snow plod (which to do safely still requires a reasonable mountaineering skills set). Have a look at getting on one of the Jonathan Conville courses as a starter and also joining your local mountaineering club for some Scottish winter climbing.

I would suggest that there's something of an apprenticeship to be completed before heading out on an expedition.

Good luck and safe travels,

S
 Greasy Prusiks 04 Mar 2017
In reply to tomeaton17:
You'll need to get some more mileage in outdoors before you can realistically think about an expedition. I know that's not what you want to hear but there's no point beating about the bush.

Join a club/find a partner and build your experience as a trad climber and in the mountains. Either that or go on a course but you'll still need to build a lot of experience.

Don't feel disheartened though, learning the skills is a huge part of the fun.
Post edited at 16:09
 PM 04 Mar 2017
In reply to tomeaton17:

> alot of the beginner mountains

Thank you for reminding me of this: http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.co.uk/2010/04/alot-is-better-than-you-at-...

I also love the concept of 'beginner mountains'.

I think if I were in your situation (with the benefit of hindsight) I'd go for a different flavour of adventure, such as a multi-month, multi-country cycling trip with friends. As you mention, the skills gap may restrict what sort of things you're able to do in terms of mountains, in a way which it sounds may conflict with your current aspirations. A non-mountain-centric adventure may be more practical.

Hope you have a great time whatever you end up doing!
 Mark Haward 04 Mar 2017
In reply to tomeaton17:

Have a look at the BES ( British Exploring Society ). They run scientific / adventure expeditions. For example my 17 year old son is joining them for five weeks of walking / trekking and scientific work in the Indian Himalayas going to around 6,000 metres. Not strictly climbing but a great expedition experience that also helps local communities. A good way to pick up skills such as crampons / axes and expedition skills.
 Jandwilson 04 Mar 2017
In reply to tomeaton17:

I was in a really similar position to yourself, I had pretty much no winter experience and hadn't been out climbing much. I spent the first few months of my gap year working and getting out climbing as much as possible (did a few multi day hikes in Snowdonia and the like as well). Then I went to the French Pyrenees on a thing called Workaway (excellent way of travelling, I spent about £80 on flights and that was it). While in the Pyrenees I did a lot of winter walking, climbed quite a few mountains as well. When I got back from France I went to Scotland for pretty much the whole of January, I booked onto a course at Glenmore lodge and after that climbed with some people I'd met on here and at the Aviemore YHA. Now I'm back to France with my new found crampon and ice axe skills from Scotland and have got up a few more serious mountains. I've now booked onto a expedition to climb Kyago Ri. You can get so much stuff done in a year, check out workaway, look at courses etc. Drop me a message if you want

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...