UKC

Career change - advice needed please

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Potato 16 Mar 2017

Ive been in my profession for about 10 years now, ive changed my position twice, but I dont see a future in it anymore. Its a fairly specific qualification that took 5 years to get, ive a mortgage and a child, and Im not one to give up on things easily, but Im not happy doing this work and thats not fair on me nor the people I work with.
How did you go about changing your career, what advice could you offer me?
Post edited at 13:10
 RyanOsborne 16 Mar 2017
In reply to Pesda potato:

I haven't really changed career as such, but if I were to, I'd move to something which could be flexible / freelance / done from home at some point. Obviously it depends on your skills, but something like web design / development / coding seems a good racket if you're decent at it.
 minimike 16 Mar 2017

To counter the reply above, I moved from academia to a professional career about 3 years ago. It required a pay cut and some (frustrating at times) retraining. However, I've managed to retain what I enjoyed about academia (freedom to do some research and some small group teaching/training) and ditch what I didn't like (insecurity, lack of applicability to the real world). I'm also using a lot of my technical skills, albeit in a very different context.

In short, work out what you're good at (skills wise) what you like and don't like about your current position/career.

Then look at options which are likely to offer an improvement overall (I looked at lots which were in hindsight just a reaction to one thing I hated about my old job that particular day and would have been wrong for me in the long run). In the end I changed less than I once thought I would to where I am now.

Your mileage may vary! I certainly didn't have it all worked out at the start (that's probably impossible) and took a leap into the unknown (making sure I could afford 6 months wage free)

Can you tell us a bit more about your current career? Might be able to be more specific.. pm if you like.

Hth
Mike
 MonkeyPuzzle 16 Mar 2017

Become a trade negotiator.
 WildCamper 16 Mar 2017
Have a look at the national careers service website.
They have aptitude tests that can offer you potential options.

Im currently exploring my options for change and have found the NCS to be quite helpful. See if you have a local office and make yourself an appointment, they may be able to help you too

Good luck with your new path
Post edited at 14:26
 Mooncat 16 Mar 2017

I retired quite young from the transport industry but got very bored very quickly so started working for the civil service about 10 years ago. My advice would be don't work for the civil service, good luck whatever you do though.
OP The Potato 16 Mar 2017
In reply to Mooncat:

thanks so far people and especially mooncat, quite humorous whether intentionally or not
 neilh 16 Mar 2017

What do you do?
 Mooncat 16 Mar 2017

Mostly humorous thanks, it has it's good points but outweighed by the head bangingly frustrating reluctance to change anything ever.
 Jon Stewart 16 Mar 2017

I did a total career change from civil servant (middle management/policy role) to optometrist. Absolutely the best thing I ever did.

This is probably not a helpful story as the circs were quite different. There were voluntary redundancy packages being offered, and when the rules were such that I got a decent amount, I took it and went back to university full time for 3 years. Then did another year's professional training on minimum wage. All this obviously cost me an arm and a leg (redundancy + savings + loans) but it was OK because I'm single and own my home on a cheap mortgage. I also don't mind being skint, renting out a room in my flat, etc.

So it was pretty easy for me, but on the other hand I chose a "back to the start" option. Being a "full time" (haha) student in my 30s was fantastic and I got a lot of climbing done including many of my dream routes around the UK. But now I have a job I enjoy, and can work fewer hours, don't take work home and can work wherever I like in the country employed or self-employed (or do more quals and go abroad).

But as I say, I really enjoyed the whole process. Going from directionless job-loathing to being on a very specific path to a new profession gave me a completely new outlook, from a bleak future to an exciting one. There are obviously problems with my new profession, but it's the career I chose from a mature and practical standpoint at age 30-odd - and most of the time it's a really nice, fun, interesting job with loads of opportunities in many different directions.
womblingfree 17 Mar 2017

Never really having had a career I went back to uni at 28 and did a Masters in something very different to my previous academic interests and job roles. It took a few years as I was both working and studying part time. While it was the MSc that got me my foot in the door it's the sector specific professional / vocational (Environmental Management) quals I've picked up since that earn me my money.

For me it was worth doing as I had no real direction or plan. Though what I've come to realise is that there was less distance between my original stuff and retraining than I thought. I'm your position and with your obligations, if possible, I'd look at something that builds and diversifies on what you've already got as once your in your 30s I found it can be hard to be taken seriously in a brand new sector/ profession
 JuanTinco 17 Mar 2017

I'm in the final stages of a career change. After spending close to two decades in the Army I'm about to start as a student paramedic. Being older and having a range of life experiences has been a benefit in my application process.

I've been fortunate to find a job that not only allows me to retrain, but also pays while I do it - I has felt like a big step at times, with a family to support in the back of my mind - but I don't regret it.

In some ways i was quite fortunate, i had been exploring the paramedic option for a little while, so it was more of a case of finding a job, rather than finding a new career (if that makes sense) My only advice would be to prepare for a bit of time spent researching!

All the best
Juan
 The New NickB 17 Mar 2017
In reply to The Potato:

Have you considered being editor of the London Evening Standard? No qualifications required. You can do it alongside your existing job(s) and you don't need to demonstrate any competence in previous career roles.
OP The Potato 17 Mar 2017
In reply to The New NickB:

I have limits and morals
 Edradour 17 Mar 2017
In reply to The Potato:

Similar to the other ex-Army guy, but with 10 years service rather than 20, I changed career 5 years ago.

My advice, especially if your current job pays a semi decent wage is don't rush. I made a decision to leave the military and spent 2 years getting ready to do. I did a masters degree in a related subject to what I wanted to work in plus a load of (in my case project / programme management) courses to boost my cv beyond 'good at walking with heavy stuff for long periods'. Then I left.

I saved six months of expenses and spent that time getting, mostly unpaid, relevant experience and then started job hunting.

I ended up in a role pretty much in the field I wanted to be in (international development) but at a 20% pay cut. I now earn slightly more than I did when I left the army.

I'm ready to move jobs now and have taken a very structured approach. I've basically written down the 5 things most important to me in any job plus the 5 things I want from my next job. When looking at job adverts I rank them against both lists. Sounds formulaic but it stops me applying for things just because that particular day I'm fed up with, for example, line managing staff, and helps me make sure I'm going to move to something that I will (hopefully) enjoy.

Good luck!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...