UKC

Fleece replacement

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tingle 19 Mar 2017
I have a montane alpine fleece made from some sort of polartec at the moment and it's getting a bit bobbly so looking for something new and better. I run really hot and if it's under a hardshell I get too warm and if it's on it's own the wind is usually whistling straight through it. Primarily I want something suited to alpine summer. hooded, windproof and insulated enough for early starts, maybe with a good ventilation system for when it gets warmer. While trying to research what a "soft shell" even is im still non the wiser so if you could enlighten me on what to choose, that would be great
In reply to tingle:

Buy a lighter weight fleece.
Buy a windshirt.
Wear the windshirt over a base layer, or base layer and fleece, if it's windy.
Take the windshirt off if you need to put on a waterproof.
 ben b 20 Mar 2017
In reply to tingle:
Good advice from the Captain there.

I suspect you are after something thin and breathable which can be made cosier if needed. I ended up with a half-price sale Arecteryx Fortrez form SportPursuit, which is essentially a fairly thin powerstretch fleece (so breathable and not too warm) with a harder face material (so better wear resistance and water-repellency). Crucially it also has a close fitting hood with a built in balaclava, which I thought was just a gimmick - but is actually really useful when the weather turns and you need to hunker down a bit. I usually run very warm and find it just right.

Normally I just wear a baselayer under a hardshell unless the weather is atrocious, certainly in summer I rarely have a fleece under there as well unless I'm going really slowly e.g. with the kids so can't warm up through my own exercise.

Adding in the windshell weighs another 100g but dramatically increases versatility. You could even consider everyone's favourite or least liked (i.e. marmite) the Rab Boreas.

cheers

b
Post edited at 00:29
OP tingle 20 Mar 2017
In reply to captain paranoia:

So an all in one like a buffalo techlite would be overkill?
In reply to tingle:

It would be less versatile, because you cannot remove either the windproof layer, or the insulation, only both; it's all or nothing.
 Fraser 20 Mar 2017
In reply to tingle:

Google 'grail jacket' - that's sure to locate what you're hunting for!

PS good luck and let us all know what you eventually choose.
 timmeehhhh 20 Mar 2017
In reply to tingle:

For summer alpinism, I find that a Rab Boreas over a thin baselayer is enough for me when active, even on cold alpine starts and in moderate wind. When moving slowly (climbing) or when the clouds roll in I add a thin primaloft hooded jacket and/or a hardshell jacket to stay comfortable.
 TobyA 20 Mar 2017
In reply to tingle:

There are loads of "next best things" for midlayers/outer layers, and some people find one thing which works perfectly for them - but I reckon one thing that works well in winter won't be so good in summer, or is good when walking but not so great standing around belaying in winter etc.

I'd second what that the Captain says - I think the most versatile system is a hooded micro fleece and a hooded windshirt. Probably both of them having full zips would be the best versatility although for the fleece, just a pullover is probably fine.

If you are on a budget, something like https://www.decathlon.co.uk/forclaz-400-mens-hooded-walking-jumper-blue-id_... and https://www.decathlon.co.uk/run-wind-mens-jacket-id_8367671.html if not, Patagonia or similar will have some great ones.
OP tingle 20 Mar 2017

yeah i like the idea of the versatility but if travelling on a glacier or steep terrain then i dont want to have to un-rope to change layers. so maybe just a thin baselayer and a boreas then the ropes? just throw my down over everything if the weather is really wild?
 TobyA 20 Mar 2017
In reply to tingle:

Unless you have coils over your shoulder, sticking an extra layer on without taking your harness off isn't that hard.
In reply to TobyA:

If the OP really does run very hot, then the Forclaz 400 might be a bit warm. In which case, the thinner Techwinter 500 might be better, although it doesn't have a hood:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/techwinter-500-zip-mens-technical-t-shirt-dark-...

Wear either as a thick base layer, or over a thin base layer.
 Fraser 21 Mar 2017

> If the OP really does run very hot, then the Forclaz 400 might be a bit warm. In which case, the thinner Techwinter 500 might be better, although it doesn't have a hood. Wear either as a thick base layer, or over a thin base layer.

By sheer coincidence I have both of these tops. The 400 is a really strange garment (mostly due to fit) and has been discussed on here before. If it were a better fit, I'd wear it more often but as it is, I hardly use it and only bought it out of desperation when over in Chulilla. The lightweight 500 however I use a lot but it definitely isn't windproof and is not really very warm. In that respect it might suit the OP, for the reasons you and he give. It's good when active, but at rest, you'd need a shell or another layer of some kind in addition.

I bought a lightweight Rab Vapour-rise Flex last spring and thought it might be suitable:

https://rab.equipment/eu/vapour-rise-flex-jacket-10138

It's vapour rise in places, but in part of the arms and down either side, there is no micro-fleece. For that reason, it's good when active. It also has a bit of stretch but be warned, it's a very slim fit and has no hood.
 Billhook 21 Mar 2017
In reply to tingle:

seriously I'd go to your nearest shop selling fleeces and look at them and choose one yourself. Buying clothes is such a personal thing.
In reply to Fraser:

I have the hoody and a number of techwinter shirts. The outer face of the techwinter shirt is smooth and quite close, so is more wind resistant than a normal fleece fabric, and certainly more wind resistant than the hi-loft fabrics like ThermalPro, or PowerDry/PowerGrid. However, just like all non-membraned fleece, it isn't windproof. But my suggestion was to layer with a windshirt. A full, five layer system would be base, mid, windshell, waterproof shell and warmth overlayer.

The F400 hoody is indeed a bit odd when it comes to fit, as discussed here:

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=606789

I also have a Rab Flex (for review). It has no hood, and no hand pockets; I was quite surprised to find how much I put my hands in my pockets. I always take my Forclaz 900 Softshell in preference, as it has a hood and hip pockets. I'd prefer chest pockets to keep them clear of pack and harness. Sadly, it is discontinued; I bought it in a clearance:

http://ifworlddesignguide.com/entry/129390-quechua-softshell-spread-man/
 Fraser 21 Mar 2017

Agreed about the layering suggestion (by you and as earlier). I too was surprised how much I missed the hand pockets on the Flux, but a few other jackets I have also only have chest pocket(s). That 900 Softshell looks pretty decent. I have a Decathlon one from years ago, but put it into a charity shop recently since I rarely wore it, again due to the slightly strange fit.
 Root1 21 Mar 2017
In reply to tingle:
Vapourise lite / alpine lite. Partially windproof and a thin lining. It can be worn next to the skin or with a baselayer, works well for me. Its not robust but a paramo go,s over it in poorer cooler conditions.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...