UKC

scarpa rebel pros / trango ice cubes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 davkeo 21 Mar 2017
I'm looking at new lightweight alpine b3 boots and am discouraged by the apparent durability issues with some of the newer models. So far I've read poor reports on the trango ice cube and scarpa phantom tech (a winter boot) and was wondering if its more of the same for the scarpa rebel pro?

I see the trango ice cubes are already now available and a reduced price form the likes of cotswolds which might have something to do with the boot quality?

I'm thinking of just buying a new pair of the trango extreme evo light gtx which have been an excellent boot and although I would like something even slightly lighter its not worth going with a newer version if it won't even last a season. Problem is I can't seem to find anywhere still selling this model. Does anyone know where I might still find a pair?

Any comments on the durability experienced with the ice cubes/rebel pros would be helpful.

Thanks
Dheorl 23 Mar 2017
In reply to davkeo:

I think the cause for the reduced price of Ice Cubes in many places is due to a slight redesign or the gaiter section. Although Cotswold picture the new one, when I ordered a pair in it was actually the old design. I should mention that one of the eyelets broke in the shop when I was trying them on, something I've read about happening to others but they might have fixed with the newer ones.
 planetmarshall 23 Mar 2017
In reply to davkeo:

A lightweight boot has to make savings somewhere, either in the sole or the insulation and weatherproofing. The new boot from Scarpa has gone with the former approach, the Rebels with the latter. So I'd expect to put up with cold feet, particularly on lengthy Scottish belays.
 Jeff Ingman 23 Mar 2017
In reply to davkeo:

Hi davkeo

Here is a repeat of something that I wrote in February whilst replying to a different post......

"I got a pair of Trango Ice Cubes in the late Autumn of 2015. The sizing is exactly the same as Nepal Extremes and the Batura IMO. They are extremely light and very stiff, I was also sceptical about whether they would be warm enough for real winter cold. I used them in January 2016 at the Sottoguda ice festival in the Dolomites and was shocked at how warm and comfortable they were for all day use in temperatures between -8 and -14 degrees C. I generally don't suffer from cold feet, and I forgot that I was wearing these. I then used them on Scottish mixed in Glen Coe and on the Ben, then managed to get on Mega Route X later in the season. They were warm and precise, and they really looked after me.

For proper Alpine winter I would probably still wear the Batura (very warm) but for everything else (Scotland and euro ice cragging) I would use the Trango ice cube. Too early to comment on durability but at this weight I don't expect them to last forever. I used them with Grivel Rambo 4s and Grivel G20s, the fit was better on the G20s."

Doing a quick count, I have now had about 35 winter days out in these boots and they've been good. I have absolutely no damage to the boots at all, though, as mentioned above, I don't expect them to last forever.

Hope this is useful...........Jeff
OP davkeo 23 Mar 2017
In reply to Jeff Ingman:

That's very useful Jeff thanks. I have scarpa guides for alpine winter so I'm after something lightweight to replace my trango evo extremes which have done everything else really well. I see myself using them for 90% of my summer alpine/ice/scottish climbing days so just don't want them falling apart in an unreasonable time frame.

Ur review is encouraging and originally I had these earmarked as my next boot.

Cheers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...