UKC

Lakes conditions this wknd

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Hidden 21 Mar 2017
The forecast for this weekend in the Lakes looks pretty good.

Can anybody take a guesstimate of what conditions are likely to be on multi-pitch routes?

Dry, greasy, sopping?

I've never climbed down there before but am looking for some easy-ish routes that i can take my brother-in-law up (seconded before and happy around VD/S).

Cheers!
 Mark Eddy 21 Mar 2017
In reply to Hidden:

It's been showery in Ambleside today and heavy rain forecast tomorrow. After that it's looking dry and bright, but chilly. Valley crags will be best bet. Try Upper Scout crag and / or Raven crag (Langdale) for quick drying mp routes on good rock. Plenty at the grades you're looking for.

Mark
OP Hidden 22 Mar 2017
In reply to Mark Eddy:

Awesome, cheers!
 Rog Wilko 22 Mar 2017
In reply to Hidden:

Looking on the pessimistic side - we've had masses of rain recently and looking out of my window there's a fair amount of snow lying, so there's plenty of stuff to keep the crags damp at least. On the optimistic side, it is only Wednesday!
In reply to Hidden:

Serious snow today in Lakes.
Avalanche risk Thursday/Friday.
In reply to Hidden:

The extensive and deep snow has already given way to rain and thaw, so expect major sloughing and avalanche today.
 Benstar 22 Mar 2017
What would people's thoughts be on black crag in borrowdale this weekend?
 Mark Eddy 22 Mar 2017
In reply to Benstar:

That it'll likely be damp.
There's now a good covering of snow on all the mountains in the Lakes. Been to Tilberthwaite and Hodge close today and don't think either will be dry for a while yet. There's been very heavy rain / snow all day. I think my original optimism for valley crags may be misplaced! Will be out again tomorrow afternoon so will update if looks any different.
 Benstar 22 Mar 2017
In reply to Mark Eddy:

Cheers for the reply. I think it's going to be the peak grit for me then.
 John Kelly 22 Mar 2017
In reply to Hidden:
Loads of wet snow currently, avalanche activity off Pavey this pm

Warm and sunny for weekend, raven crag langdale would be ideal

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Scafell/6day/mid

Post edited at 19:39
 Benstar 22 Mar 2017
In reply to John Kelly:

Would gimmer be the same or is that higher up?
 John Kelly 22 Mar 2017
In reply to Benstar:

Snowy up there today but bbc forecast sunny, 13 degrees, windspeed 3mph for Saturday
It's about same height as Pavey but I think it dries a lot quicker, could be on.
Worth checking aspect of route can make massive difference on gimmer
OP Hidden 22 Mar 2017
In reply to Mark Eddy:

Thanks for all the replies folks!
 Jim 1003 22 Mar 2017
In reply to Hidden:

Its pissing down now, and this will be snow higher up....
 Rog Wilko 24 Mar 2017
In reply to Jim 1003:

It's now Friday afternoon and the fells still look pretty white seen from my garden. And that's the sunny side I'm looking at.
 Simon Caldwell 24 Mar 2017
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Seen photos of people climbing on Raven Crag (Langdale) earlier today and it looks in excellent condition.
 John Kelly 24 Mar 2017
In reply to Simon Caldwell:
Raven very pleasant dry
Gimmer look like there could still be bit of snow on grass at top and n facing ledges
Pavey, the many vegetated ledges look snowy and damp
Post edited at 19:32
 Sean Kelly 24 Mar 2017
In reply to Hidden:

Gimmer is clear as the sun was very hot today. Indeed, higher up it was quite arduous going as the snow was also rather deep. I imagine that the gullies will be pretty full, but a good frost tonight should help.
 wercat 24 Mar 2017
In reply to Sean Kelly:
full? Of What, snow or punters?
Post edited at 20:29
 Rog Wilko 24 Mar 2017
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

> Seen photos of people climbing on Raven Crag (Langdale) earlier today and it looks in excellent condition.

Great!
 Jim 1003 25 Mar 2017
In reply to Rog Wilko:

The snow level on the Helvellyn and Blencathra appears about 2000ft, but it's warm low down, with a cold wind high up. Any low crags in the sun will be great.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...