UKC

swiss mountains to climb ??

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
stub1984 21 Mar 2017
Hi All

I'm a newbie so go easy on me for the first five mins

Ive climbed a few of the highest mountains in the uk and completed the national three peaks also the Yorkshire three peaks . I'm looking for a higher challenge has I am planning Kilimanjaro in two years , so I'm looking for something that's half way to maybe 3000m in Switzerland to walk top to bottom without cable cars etc in the summer that is.

just wonder if anyone had any info or options/opinions ??

thanks

iknowfear 21 Mar 2017
In reply to stub1984:

One of the highest non-iced peaks is the üssers barrhorn:

http://www.hikr.org/dir/%C3%9Cssers_Barrhorn_312/

If you want to go for a long day, you can then decent to St. Niklaus and continue to zermatt (by train)

however, I seriously doubt that this will prepare you in any way for Kilimanjaro in two years. (unless you have some new shoes you need to break in)

It would make more sense to spend some time immediately before leaving on klein Matterhorn (~3800m) , and to do daily tours to the surrounding +4000m peaks (although you need a guide or someone to share the rope with & experience in glacier dangers)

whatever you do, enjoy!

Smythson 21 Mar 2017
In reply to stub1984:
I would separate the two things - going to the Alps and preparing for Kili. Kili is a five day walk at altitude, you can start preparing in 18 months. The Alps has a whole host of mountaineering adventures from easy days walking to terrifying multi-day north face climbs. Go to the Alps and find some goals to gradually progress your personal level. If heights are your thing then read up on the 4000ers. Unless your tied to Switzerland perhaps Gran Paradiso to start? Or even see if Mont Blanc is for you (there's probably enough GoPro footage on YouTube to show you the entire Gouter route without leaving home!)

Good luck and safe travels,

S
Post edited at 23:11
 Mark Haward 29 Mar 2017
In reply to stub1984:

Around Zermatt there are various peaks that can be ascended from the valley around 3,000m - 3,500m. Camping Randa, a village before the car free tourist hub of Zermatt, is a great base. Quiet camping with easy transport around the valley if required.
As others have said, this would be great for fitness / stamina but if you want to experience altitude ( cable car journeys by themselves don't really count ) consider gaining the skills and knowledge required ( or go with an experienced partner / guide ) to climb some of the easier 4,000m plus peaks. Again, Zermatt area is good for this.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...