UKC

Old Kellets Quarries

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 C Witter 23 Mar 2017
Out of curiosity, does anyone know the story of Dunald Mill Quarry, near Carnforth?

I've never been, but it seems it's now no longer operational and photos look interesting: a 10m+ near vertical wall, with another steeper and higher wall above a terrace. I imagine the rock is quite suspect, given the looseness of, e.g. Warton Main, and that access is probably problematic. But, wondered if anyone had been to explore or heard of explorations?

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1946833

CW
 Lankyman 23 Mar 2017
In reply to C Witter:
I did take a peek in here a few years ago when it was still being worked. Not the most inspiring place I ever checked out but you never know. It would take a lot of gardening due to more modern blasting techniques which seem to shatter the rock big time - compare Trowbarrow to Warton Main. You'd probably get major access problems too.
Talking of Trowbarrow, have you ever seen this a few kms north of Dunald Mill http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1843570 Obviously, the caravan owners might not be too happy?
There is a cave system underneath Dunald Mill but I've never been in.
Post edited at 17:26
 Albert Tatlock 23 Mar 2017
In reply to Lankyman:

That face has now been covered in industrial chicken wire and is fully overgrown with ivy.

The horizontal crack runs the full width of crag, before it became overgrown I often wondered about the traverse

I have a caravan on the site, you have no chance of gaining permission.
 Andy Say 23 Mar 2017
In reply to Albert Tatlock:

> I have a caravan on the site, you have no chance of gaining permission.

Not even in YOUR garden? Go on.......
 Lankyman 24 Mar 2017

> you have no chance of gaining permission.

Elsie Tanner would never have taken 'No' for an answer!
 Albert Tatlock 24 Mar 2017
In reply to Lankyman:

> Elsie Tanner would never have taken 'No' for an answer!

She would when the owner is a British army heavyweight boxing champion, who looked like someone had been chopping wood on his face.
 steveriley 24 Mar 2017
In reply to C Witter:
That brings back memories- I worked in that quarry there the summer after finishing school. Would love another look round but no recent knowledge, this was the early-mid 80s
 Lankyman 25 Mar 2017

> She would when the owner is a British army heavyweight boxing champion, who looked like someone had been chopping wood on his face.

And there was I thinking Ena Sharples had died .........
 stewieatb 26 Mar 2017
In reply to C Witter:

I grew up in the area, there are a good number of disused quarries around, and quite a few still being worked (Back Lane, Holme Park, and Sandside). This one around the corner from Trowbarrow is enormous, and seems to be permanently dry: https://goo.gl/maps/JDSsVtNzA5s

As someone said above, modern blasting techniques seem to fracture the rock more - broadly speaking, you're quarrying for gravel to make concrete and roads, not for masonry stone, so the more fractured you can make rock as it comes down, the less crushing and processing you have to do. The result is very loose and fractured rock left behind.
 woppo 27 Mar 2017
In reply to stewieatb:
had good fun a few years ago in here traversing the different tiers between the walls, it had just closed and they had levelled the quarry floor
Post edited at 14:17
 Chris the Tall 27 Mar 2017
In reply to C Witter:

I have distinct memories of going bouldering around Over Kellet in the mid 70s. I'd be about 9 at the time ! I also remember how much our house shook every time they blasted at the quarry.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...