UKC

Vango Nova or Tempest

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Nick Bunton 27 Mar 2017
Hi I am new to this forum, I have done a lot of camping in my teens in a cheap 2 man tent and lots of family camping in recent years in my 40's with family in large tents. I really want to get into hiking/scrambling now both on my own and some with my 13 yr old son.

I am looking for a tent to put in or across the top of my backpack so weight and pack size is important, I looked briefly in Go Outdoors at the Vango Nova 300 and Vango Tempest 300. I have two questions really, for two of us with backpacks, would you go for the 200 or 300 and do you have any views or experiences between these two models from Vango?

It will be mainly used for 1 to 2 night expeditions but will be looking to use longer next year when I venture further.

Thanks,
Nick
 J Whittaker 28 Mar 2017
In reply to Nick Bunton:

I have a Tempest 200. Its fine as a 1 man tent and ok as a 2 man for 1 or 2 nights but quite cosy. I carry that on my own so if you wanted to go for a larger 300 split between 2 backpacks you probably wouldn't notice the weight.

Ive been impressed by the durability of the tempest 200. The first night I spent in it was high up next to hard tarn below Nethermost Pike, the rain lashed down all night and the wind was howling something fierce. I hardly slept and was worried about the tent it was that bad. In the morning though the tent was fully intact like it hadn't even been windy and although the ground had become waterlogged beneath the tent I was completely dry inside.
 DaveHK 28 Mar 2017
In reply to Nick Bunton:

I'd get the Nova as its a simpler design. The Tempest isn't exactly hard to pitch but it's a little fiddly and I don't like the way the bottom part of the poles only go through clips rather than being sleeved all the way. Doubtless you'll be more careful but the ones our DofE kids use are already showing the strain.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...