UKC

cable disc brakes Vs STI

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The bandit 28 Mar 2017
Does anyone have any experience of running cable accuated disc brakes eg. TRP using a standard STI lever (campagnolo) designed for normal calipers? I'm trying to build a bike up with a new frame using all the old bits in the shed and thinking of moving to discs simultaneously. (PS. I 'm aware hydraullics won't works before anyone says!)
 beardy mike 28 Mar 2017
In reply to The bandit:

Avid BB5rd apparently are balls.
Avid bb7rd are better
TRP Spyre supposed to be the best road mechanical as they have dual cylinders
Hope V-Twin supposed to be a bit on or off and eyewatering.
TRP Hy-rd supposed to be pretty good although early models had problems with popping the piston out of its seals. Think this has been rectified?
Juin Tech Supposed to be very good http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/category/components/brake-calipers/produ...
 The Potato 28 Mar 2017
In reply to The bandit:
i dont know if campag pull is the same as shimano/sram levers, but Ive got Avid BB7 (note they come as road or mtn) and they do work well, easy to set up and adjust.
If its for a standard road bike then I think TRP dual pot calipers are probably overkill, but for cx or touring then they are meant to be the best, but also about twice the price.
Post edited at 11:55
 ChrisJD 29 Mar 2017
In reply to beardy mike:

>V-Twin supposed to be a bit on or off and eyewatering.

Seen a few on bikes at our local mechanics. Look either Trick or Heath-Robinson, depending on your mindset

Jim Lancs 29 Mar 2017
In reply to beardy mike:

<<Avid BB5rd apparently are balls>>

This is trotted out in reply to this question all the time, but I've had a set on a Boardman bike for the last three winters and they've been fine. Certainly loads better than any rim brake on a winter bike - effective, long lasting, easy to adjust and clean.
 MonkeyPuzzle 29 Mar 2017
In reply to The bandit:

I have TRP Spyres via Shimano Tiagra STIs and they're grand. Bit of a step down from the hydraulics on the MTB, but great once bedded in and much better in the wet than standard rim brakes IMO. Both pads in the TRPs move, which can't be said for most cable-actuated discs, reviews say that translates to better performance and less squealing, but I've not used any others personally. Overall, I'd recommend.
 beardy mike 29 Mar 2017
In reply to Jim Lancs:

In my defence I said apparently. And I wasmore just laying out the options with what seems to be the general opinion of each based on reading reviews. So I bow to your greater knowledge.

From presonal experience of Alivio mechanical brakes, the single sided pistons do seem to take more tweaking than a dual piston set up. But then Hydro and Mechanical is never going to compare well...
 Timmd 29 Mar 2017
In reply to The bandit:
The only issue I've read about with TRP Spyres is to do with their longevity and maintainability, but they are regularly described as being a little bit above Avid BB7 brakes, as far as I've read.

Saying that, it's possible to make BB7's work better by fitting compressionless outer cables and super slick inner cables, they're black and have latex in/coating them IIRC.

Hydraulic discs may have moved on since I fitted my BB7's, but at the time I fitted mine they were as powerful as the hydraulic brakes on my brother and friend's mountain bikes.

When well dialled in they're roughly equal to mid noughties Deore Hydraulic brakes. I've found that how often/well I keep on top of keeping my BB7's set up right can make a big difference.

Edit: If you look on ebay, you can't find spare parts for Tektro Spyre brakes on ebay of any nationality, but BB7's are fully rebuildable with spares easily available, and diagrams for how to take them apart too.
- If you lube and grease any regularly adjusted threads when you first buy them, they shouldn't cause any problems by corroding solid. Being the kind of who worries about this kind of thing, I find the availability of BB7 spare parts very reassuring.
- I've found that over time, the inner adjuster can begin to become stiff thanks to corrosion between the different metals (alu and steel), but that's easily sorted if it's lubed or greased when stiffness is first noticed.

Hope to help.
Post edited at 17:12

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...