UKC

Influence of Events in Climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Liza Dacre 30 Mar 2017
Posted with permission of UKC.

I am a final year student completing my dissertation about the influences of events in climbing and am looking for active climbers to answer a quick 10 minute survey which will help with my study. The data collected looks at preferences between climbing on walls vs crags, and how events could be used to increase interest in bouldering, lead and indoor climbing.

If you have 10 minutes to spare I would hugely appreciate your support, please see the link below:

https://docs.google.com/a/my.shu.ac.uk/forms/d/1gkwMdSwYqgjxfGNURe2rkWaRXT6...

Thank you.
 Doug 30 Mar 2017
In reply to Liza Dacre:

Strange selection of answers for 'What is your preferred climbing discipline' & I'm not sure that being 'part of a club, association or society' really equates to being part of the "climbing industry"
And you might want to make Q26 a little more precise - what type of technology do you mean ?
 johncook 30 Mar 2017
In reply to Liza Dacre:

Don't trad climbers have an option in this? It is heavily loaded towards indoor climbing/bouldering. Ask the right questions and get the answers you want?
 toad 30 Mar 2017
In reply to Liza Dacre:

Few errors, as doug says, the choice of climbing types is limited, and i assume in q26 you mean smart phone type stuff?

Also "professional"
Liza Dacre 31 Mar 2017
In reply to Doug:

Hi Doug thank you for your feedback. I am not a regular climber myself and so am still pretty new to the sport. I had based the first question mentioned around the disciplines to be included in the Olympics, would you mind suggesting other disciplines I should consider?
Liza Dacre 31 Mar 2017
In reply to johncook:

Hi John, as the survey is largely focusing on events, in my research I have not yet come across many events for trad climbing. Are there any events for trad climbing, I may have missed that you feel I should look into?
Liza Dacre 31 Mar 2017
In reply to toad:

Thank you for your feedback, in relation to q26 I know this is vague, but it is open to any form of technology, in attempt to gage what respondents view as technology for any type climbing.
 toad 31 Mar 2017
In reply to Liza Dacre:
By event, do you mean competition?

Any mention of "Olympic" climbing means automatic banishment to the Vote of No Confidence thread
 Doug 31 Mar 2017
In reply to Liza Dacre:

If you know so little about climbing, maybe talking to someone who does before posting your questionnaire would have been worthwhile. If you are restricting the survey to rockclimbing (in which case you should alter the title which suggests much more) you need to have 'traditional rock climbing' (which I suspect is still the majority of outdoor climbing in the UK) and you could divide that into single/multipitch & outcrop/mountain/seacliff

And is your survey restricted to the UK ? No where do you mention geographical overage or ask where respondents mostly climb
 Co1in H 31 Mar 2017
In reply to Liza Dacre: I gave up on the survey, it's far too biased to use the single word "climbing" in the title. I honestly cannot see how any data gathered could be used to correctly inform "preferences between climbing on walls vs crags, etc"
I've no wish to be disparaging but I'd start all over again, maybe sit down with a cross section of climbers, from a club perhaps and create a new survey sheet that will cover a range of opinion.

bouldery bits 31 Mar 2017
In reply to Liza Dacre:

I have filled in your survey but gave you some slightly grumpy answers as the questionnaire is weak at best.

No trad climbing option????
 hazeysunshine 01 Apr 2017
In reply to Liza Dacre:

Events that focus on trad climbing - just a biased sample from 2016:

Women's International Climbing Meet 2016: http://pinnacleclub.co.uk/wicm2016/

Women's Trad Festival - report here: https://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item/70638/womens_trad_festival_2016_report

Llanberis Tradfest - google it

Lakeland Revival: https://arcteryxlakelandrevival.com/ see in particular the Big Weekend 2017
 alx 01 Apr 2017
In reply to bouldery bits:

I too like you take offence to no Trad option in a bouldering forum, especially when it mostly covers indoor climbing and competitions.

I was so outraged I bit my beastmaker, now I will have to spend hours buffing the dents out of the wood otherwise the grade has dropped.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...