UKC

Helvellyn

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 neilwiltshire 04 Apr 2017
Hi,

Thinking about hitting striding edge/swirral edge this saturday as the weather looks amazing.

I'm very competent and experienced climber/walker with a bit of mountaineering experience too so I know I'd be ok in any condition. But having not done striding edge before, and being that I plan to take my wife and dog, thought I'd call out for thoughts on the feasibility.

Also conditions, assuming there is no snow by now, am I right or wrong? Is this a silly plan or absolutely fine?

Wife is also a totally competent walker, dog will be on a short lead.

Thanks.
 Welsh Kate 04 Apr 2017
In reply to neilwiltshire:

Is the dog a competent hillwalker and will it be safe itself, and safe for others?

Did Striding Edge a couple of years ago and a massive bottleneck had been formed by a group with a hysterical poodle that they couldn't get down the bad step at the end of the edge. The poor poodle was howling in fear
 mrphilipoldham 04 Apr 2017

I believe there is zero snow at all, as the Fell Top Assessors have been stood down a few weeks ahead of schedule!
OP neilwiltshire 04 Apr 2017
In reply to Welsh Kate:
The dog is 1, has only just started its hillwalking career as we've spent the last year meticulously following an exercise plan to build up his muscles without ruining his bones. He has so far shown no signs of fear in any situation in life, including steep drops, thunder and lightning, and bigger, angry dogs. He's a strong labrador as opposed to a skittish poodle, and should he need help on a step I can lift him.
Post edited at 11:10
In reply to mrphilipoldham:

Thought so, good news though, thanks.
 wercat 04 Apr 2017

Probably easier with a dog anti -clockwise (Swirral then Striding) as there is a steep (but easy) scramble down a sort of wide chimney at the W end of Striding Edge just before "the lump" that sits between it and the main mountain. Probably easier to ascend than descend with small kids/animals. This spot I've often seen causes "delays" in some walking groups.

(Just my opinion and some will probably disagree)
In reply to wercat:
Seems that's a valuable insight, thanks. I don't really want to cause delays though. Perhaps I should leave this one until the dog is a little more experienced and find something with a little more space.
Post edited at 11:34
 BusyLizzie 04 Apr 2017

I don't know anything about dogs, but I couldn't get my husband over the scrambly part last summer - it's much more hands-on than we had expected from the "walks in the Lake District"-type books. The children and I loved it, but I would have thought a dog could have difficulty.
 MG 04 Apr 2017

There wasquite a bit of snow up there last week. A lot will have melted but near the summit there may be some still
 brianjcooper 04 Apr 2017

Would you consider making the walk a bit longer by ascending Helvellyn via Dollywaggon Pike, Nethermost pike from Grisedale? I seem to remember it steep but without large drops on all sides.
 James_Kendal 04 Apr 2017

It sounds like you would be ok but the dog will need very close control and several lifts.

Of course the "bad step" / "chimney" can be avoided with a track just below to the South, while the rest of the ridge is avoidable with a track just below to the North.

My advice is go and have a look, being prepared to turn round if it's unsuitable for any member of your party.

Also, look out for the memorial above Striding Edge to the gentleman whose dog was found still guarding his skeletal remains!
In reply to James_Kendal:

"Of course the "bad step" / "chimney" can be avoided with a track just below to the South, while the rest of the ridge is avoidable with a track just below to the North"

I had no idea, sounds totally doable.

"being prepared to turn round if it's unsuitable for any member of your party"

This is always good advice. I'm never ashamed to turn around.

"Also, look out for the memorial above Striding Edge to the gentleman whose dog was found still guarding his skeletal remains!"

Crikey!

Thanks. Maybe we will give it a shot. The weather makes it so enticing (said everyone).
 Dave Hewitt 04 Apr 2017
In reply to wercat:

> (Just my opinion and some will probably disagree)

No, it's very good advice - I was just about to say much the same. Up Swirral, down Striding is almost certainly the way to go to reduce the risk of problems. I went round the edges with my better half a few years ago (she's Lakes born and bred but nervous on narrow-ish stuff) and we did Swirral first. Got round fine but I'm glad we didn't do Striding first and thus have to descend the little chimney - it's much easier going up that, and it's definitely the "crux" of the route. I think the steep slope down from the plateau to the start of Striding Edge has had path repairs in recent years so should be more comfortable than of yore.

Overall, Striding Edge is one of those "grade 0.5" semi-scrambly things, and sticking to the crest in good conditions can be really pleasant. Swirral Edge is scarcely a scramble at all and shouldn't present any problems now that (presumably) the steep exit snowslope has gone. Have a good time - it'll be busy but good!
 Trangia 04 Apr 2017
I agree with the poster who suggested doing it the other way round, ie Up Swirral and down Striding (where in fact you actually go "up" the so called "bad step").

It's a bit more than just a step though - probably about 15ft to 20ft of virtually vertical, although easy, scrambling. On first acquaintance it looks intimidating from above, particularly in wet miserable conditions, and to see all the holds well you have to be bold and stand well out on the them. It's much less intimidating looking up it than down it.

I know there are dogs and dogs, but wouldn't personally want to take a dog down it. Missed footing here will result in a big fall which would probably prove fatal
Post edited at 12:58
 blackcat 04 Apr 2017
In reply to neilwiltshire: I dont think you will have any problem as its a great outing, but me personally i wouldnt take my dog near rocky ridges and steep rocky ground,it always unerves me to see dogs skittering along the ridge loose,as he will be on lead you should be fine.As others have said there is a faint path to the south of the steep chimney on steep ground.
 blackcat 04 Apr 2017
In reply to Welsh Kate: I too once saw a border collie shaking with fear with a inexperienced hillwalker,but this was in full winter conditions,so me and my mate held back and helped the lass along with her dog.

Trangia 04 Apr 2017
In reply to Welsh Kate:

Many years ago whilst on a winter trip in the Mamores we walked past a farm and a yellow Labrador started following us up onto the mountain. Despite a lot of shouting, cajouling at him and attempts to make him go back, he stayed with us until we reached a point where we stopped to put on crampons. Again we tried to push him away and make him go home, but as soon as we started cramponing up he continued to follow us. The slope go steeper and steeper and the bloody dog still kept trying to follow us digging his claw in like crampons.

Then suddenly he got frightened and froze where he was unable to go up or down. We couldn't leave him there so we improvised a "harness" out of the rope around him , gave him a gentle push and started to lower him down the slope with one of us cramponing down beside him. Once the slope eased off my mate untied him and he leaped
around with joy! But as soon as my mate started cramponing back up to me the bloody dog started following him again, and once again he got stuck and started whimpering in terror. Once again we had to lower him back down.

Eventually we had to abandon our plans and walk back down into the valley with the dog - who seemed very pleased with himself. That was the end of what had been a promising, but ruined day out in the mountains

bouldery bits 04 Apr 2017

You guys all go up Helvellyn - the more the merrier.

I'll be elsewhere in the lakes enjoying the quiet :P

Have a good one!
 GrahamUney 04 Apr 2017
In reply to mrphilipoldham:

You are indeed correct. We've ended the Fell Top Assessor winter reports early, as the winter is no more! www.lakedistrictweatherline.co.uk
Removed User 04 Apr 2017
Unless prior knowledge tells me it is not needed, my Border Collie wears a ruffwear harness on the fells. Very useful for lifting him over stiles, especially if he has been wallowing in a peat bog and if a helping hand is needed on a grade 1 scramble. Indeed, used to lower him down the Crinkle Craggs bad step.
In reply to Removed Usersimonridout:

Is the Ruffwear rated in anyway for that kind of activity? I just ordered one of these so he can carry his own water & food but I've no idea if its rated.

His lead is excellent though. I made it from an old climbing rope.

http://www.lightinthebox.com/multifunction-dog-600d-oxford-bag-pet-training...
 Billhook 04 Apr 2017

Its doable for most dogs - But you say he has no fear of heights/drops? My dog has no fear of heights but has great respect for drops - I'd trust her on any mountain. But when she was one year old? Like kids confidence may outweigh competence.
Removed User 04 Apr 2017

Ruffwear make several types of harnesses.

http://www.ruffwear.com/Products/dog_harnesses

Ben, my collie, wears a webmaster, with plastic slide release buckles. There is the webmaster pro or the doubleback harness, with more secure, metal buckles, the down side being that it takes longer to put these on / take them off. I would use one of the later if he was being winched out of a helicopter or abseiling down a cliff, however for a lift over a stile / fence or a 3m hoist or descent, I have had no qualms about using the webmaster.

Additionally, I carry a collapsible water bowl and extra water, if we are likely to be more than an hour from a water supply (eg a stream or muddy puddle).
mysterion 04 Apr 2017

> Also, look out for the memorial above Striding Edge to the gentleman whose dog was found still guarding his skeletal remains!

The dog was in fine fettle too, shiny coat, etc. Just saying...

In reply to Trangia:

> I agree with the poster who suggested doing it the other way round, ie Up Swirral and down Striding (where in fact you actually go "up" the so called "bad step").

This is definitely a better way to do it as you manage to eke out a little bit more scrambling. The only downside to doing it this way is that you'll have a long wait to get into the chimney/so called "bad step" on Striding Edge as most people do the circuit in the opposite direction and there's always a stream of people coming down the chimney.

wercat 08 Apr 2017
In reply to Rylstone_Cowboy:

When conditions are dry there is a scramble up steep rocks to the L of the chimney which can avoid it and there are various other alternatives. Not dog friendly though.

In reply to wercat:

Yes I've done that line left of the chimney. In fact many years ago that was my very first taste of scrambling! Saves you a good 20 minute wait on busy days there too.
OP neilwiltshire 10 Apr 2017
Thanks for the advice all. Update for any other dog walkers who might see this.

We took your advice and went up Swirral and down Striding. It was absolutely fine with the dog, in fact there were a lot of dogs out, some going in the traditional direction. I think the advice to go up Swirral and down Striding was good, if I was to do it again I'd do the same thing. The only bit of the ridge we avoided was the chimney which would have been hard with a big dog (in either direction), and there was a very easy track to the right to avoid it. Plus it was about a 40 minute queue. The rest of it was totally doable though. Kept the dog on a short lead via harness on the ridges but he absolutely loved his big day out as did we. Glorious weather, glorious route. Lots of people though.
Post edited at 11:20
 wercat 10 Apr 2017

"40 minute queue"

eeeeek!!!!
 wercat 11 Apr 2017

perhaps a 40 minute queue would indicate successful location for a portable cafe?
Iain(2010) 11 Apr 2017
In reply to wercat:

Could start a zip wire from there too!? .......
 OMR 12 Apr 2017

> Also, look out for the memorial above Striding Edge to the gentleman whose dog was found still guarding his skeletal remains!

Did anyone inquire of the dog how the remains became skeletal? I had a dog would guard its dinner too.
 SouthernSteve 12 Apr 2017

We have done the circuit with a few 'competent' labradors over the years. Wercat is correct that the step down before Helvelyn's final climb is the most technical bit and we used two of us to manage this top and bottom with lead in place. Never caused any tail backs though, although we almost never visit the Lakes on a bank holiday, unless for an organised race.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...