UKC

Dolomites - which town?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Hi Folks,

myself and a 6 others are going to the dolomites at the start of September. There are a mix of interests and everyone wants to climb to some extent, but I'm looking for a good base for the others who are not that fussed about doing lost of climbing.

At the moment, I've shortlisted either Cortina or Canazei. I know Cortina has more going on, but the cost difference is quite big (78/night vs 135/night for similar accommodation).

Does anyone have any recommendations? I'm looking for something that has a good mix of pubs, restaurants and other activities but that isn't too far from the climbing (30mins-1hr). Are there any places other than Cortina that fit the bill? How much is there going on in Canazei?

Thanks,

Jay.
Post edited at 14:45
 Chris the Tall 05 Apr 2017
In reply to crag_hopper_Jay:

I stayed in both Corvara and Arraba and both are very nice. Corvara is the bigger of the two - so more shops, restaurants and the best strudel cafe in the world ! Also stayed in Colfosco, 2 miles above Corvara, which was a fair bit cheaper.
 Casa Alfredino 05 Apr 2017

Hi Jay, totally biased plug here - we have accomodation near Rocca Pietore which is slightly to the south of the normal areas people are used to. In our valley we have Marmolada with 2 VF (the longest in the Dolomites, the Eterna and the West ridge, the only VF with a glacial approach and descent in the Dolomites) and access to the VF delle Trincee. There is also walking up to the south face of Marmolada and some of the other side valleys. In the other direction there is Alleghe and Civetta, a 10 minute drive and there is stunning walking there aswell as the VF degli Alleghesi. Climbing wise we have Laste and the Sass di Roccia with over 250 routes about a 15 minute drive away, or easy slab climbing at the Fedaia Pass. Canazei is a 25 minute drive, Sella pass 40 minutes, Falazergo 25 (Piccolo Lagozuoi, Sass di stria, Falzarego towers, Col dei Bos) Cinque Torre is another 10 minutes on from there, Passo Giau with access to the Lastoni di Formin is 25 minutes, and futher south from Alleghe you can go into the wild mountains around Val Corpassa, Valle San Lucano and Moiazza. We're only 2 hours from Venice. Take a look at my profile for website details and let me know if I can help. In terms of restaurants, our valley is quieter than Canzei and Cortina, but that means less traffic, no crowds and a cheap time when eating out. We have plenty of Pizza and pasta places. Drinking I'm afraid is a self generated activity buit one which I can recommend the use of our BBQ area for! Price wise we are closer to the Cortina end of your scale but the accomodation is really good IMO and includes drying rooms, wifi, guidebook access (lots of the local guides which give alternate routes and descriptions).
 maxsmith 05 Apr 2017

I have only stayed near corvara but that was great, also at colfosco as above.
 PilarMartinez 05 Apr 2017

Hey, Went to the Dollies last year.. We stayed in Cortina for a week, camping. It is a great location for a lot of the good climbing and Via Ferratas on this side. No a very long drive to the crags, max 30mins

The campsite is just outside the town, and there are two, one opposite the other. The facilities are fine but make sure you book in Advance and don't arrive too late first day as could get very busy specially on weekends.
If you are not keen on camping there are lots of accommodation around, may be worth checking airbnb

There is always something going on in Cortina and it is a great town with lots of bars and restaurants. We were there in July and even it was busy we always found places where to eat and hang around after the climbing.
Cinque Torre was one of our favorites crags, quality routes, easy access and just a few mins walk from the car park but make sure you get there early, the classic routes get very busy.
 ripper 05 Apr 2017

I've stayed in Canazei a couple of times for climbing and once for skiing, and am going back there this August - it has a reasonable number of shops and restaurants but not, I imagine, anywhere near as many as Cortina (never been there so just guessing). It's very handily placed for access to the Sella and Pordoi Passes, Marmolada and Catinaccio groups (inc. Vajolet Towers), has a newish leisure centre with outdoor pool, quite a few 'wellness spa' hotels, lots of Via Ferrata and hiking opportunities nearby, also bike hire.... anything else?
 Toerag 05 Apr 2017

I've camped a Pozza Di Fassa south of Canazei and at Camping Rochetta in Cortina. Although I didn't do pubs in either place I can say that Cortina is almost certainly a better bet - closer to the climbing, and much more going on in town. It is, however, poncier and more expensive, although that's probably more prevalent in winter than summer.
Pozza Di Fassa is also a drive into Canazei whereas Rochetta is a walk into Cortina. I think there's a campsite in Canazei though. Canazei has a municipal swimming pool I think, no idea about other facilities. There are outdoor shops in both.

Thanks folks - that's all very useful information! If it were just me (and climbers) I think I'd go for ease of access and cheap and cheerful. But with the varied interests of people going I think Cortina is going to fit the bill!

Thanks again!

Jay
 Jenny C 05 Apr 2017

We usually camp in Cortina staying at "Camping Dolomiti" which is the furthest of the three sites located adjacent to each other just down river from the Town - we were recommended this site over the others in the area and keep returning.

As well as climbing this is a great location of Via Ferratas and walking, only real downside is that being in the valley bottom we do find we need to drive daily rather heading out on foot from the campsite. On the plus side it means you can head pretty much in any direction to a choice of mountain ranges which not only gives differing views (and climbing styles) but can also help with dodging bad weather.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...