UKC

Swimming and Climbing?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SiobhanStraver 07 Apr 2017
Hey everyone. I've injured my leg and so have taken up swimming to try and stay fit. I really enjoy it, and have been thinking of using it to replace the high impact of running (which I used to do a couple of times a week) as running seems to wreck my legs.

My concern is that swimming uses a lot of the same muscles as climbing- is pairing the two just setting me on a course to ruin my shoulders? I don't mind too much if it doesn't help my climbing, but I definitely don't want swimming getting in the way.

Context: I've been climbing ~3 times a week for nearly two years and seem to be permanently injured (with knee issues for well over a year now). I just want to be able to climb and cross-train without my body breaking at every turn.
 sduke85 08 Apr 2017
In reply to SiobhanStraver:

I took up swimming (again) last year as i injured my shoulder and if any thing it has helped, Swimming is a very good way to get cardio fit without damaging the body as its a low impact sport compared to running etc.

I swim 2-3 times a week and climb 2-3 times a week and have improved in both.

The only way swimming will harm you is if your stroke technique is bad then you'll notice repetitive strain kicking in, IE: pain in your knee if your breaststroke kick is off.

hope this helps.
 jethro kiernan 08 Apr 2017

I've found swimming really helps with niggles in the back and shoulder, good stroke is needed to avoid aggravating shoulder problems, with the huge interest in triathlons and open water swimming there are plenty of coaches who can give you some tips and help correct poor stroke technique
Hope the recovery goes well
 Mr Messy 08 Apr 2017

Shoulders are stronger with swimming. Look up Chloe Sutton on youtube as well for shoulder strength exercises and technique.
 Shani 09 Apr 2017

Improved physical performance is in part a cycle of damage and repair - but not injury. Sounds like you're neglecting the repair bit. Do you periodise your training intensity/modality and program in rest?
 Brass Nipples 09 Apr 2017

Sounds like your not allowing for the recovery phase. That's where your body gets stronger. Instead you are just getting weaker and breaking.
 BrainoverBrawn 09 Apr 2017

You sound like you are into climbing, so hopefully ?!, you are not walking in far enough but spending too much time on training at too high an intensity versus natural crux and route threshold. . Some swimming to do physio, it won't necessarily rest your leg unless you are specific I found, will help if you like swimming but otherwise probably it is a shot in the dark. Cheers Jimbio,
In reply to Shani:

I wouldn't say I program in rest as I've never structured my training in such a way. Now that I'm saying this I realise how ridiculous it is. I've always just climbed a few days a week at the same intensity every week, counting my days off as my resting time and then eventually being forced to rest due to injury. I assume what you're referring to is having a more structured program where there are weeks set aside for recovery and others for progression?
 Shani 10 Apr 2017

Yes! If you want to get strong, think of these three areas:

1) Specificity (inc exercise selection)
2) Progressive overload (inc intensity, deloading, volume etc...)
3) Rest, nutrition, sleep, prehabilitation.

> Now that I'm saying this I realise how ridiculous it is.

"When the student is ready, the teacher arrives."
Post edited at 10:00
 StefanB 10 Apr 2017

I am keen swimmer (and runner), but wouldn't consider swimming good cross training for climbing.
I suppose you wish to work on your cardiovascular fitness on rest days, but as you say, the muscles used are pretty similar. Apart from this, I find that the fitness I gain from swimming does not translate to other sports that well.
Running or walking is probably more complementary to climbing and better cross training. If you are constantly getting insured than you are probably doing something wrong, as others have said. Most people start too fast when embarking on a running programme.
 Dave Reeve 10 Apr 2017

I've been swimming 3 times a week on average for the past 40 years - it used to be 3km a session but these days is around 1.6km a session. I've also climbed regularly for the last 30 years, 3 times a week on average indoors, when I'm on trips nearly every day. I've mostly been injury free apart from the occasional stiff neck and what I term "mouse shoulder" from years of being in IT. At the age of 63 I can onsight 6C generally (but not those ultra hard 5+'s in Lleida !) so I intend to stick with this combination as the cardio work also stands me in good stead on long walk-ins.

I personally think swimming compliments climbing provided you mix the swimming around, don't overdo it and don't just stick with one stroke. A key thing for me was being told by a swimming physio that I should do more backstroke and not just front crawl to stop my shoulders becoming rounded. If you're interested, a typical session is 300m front crawl (F) 200m backstroke (B), then 200m F + 200m B, then 150m F + 150m B, then 200m IM drills, then 100m F + 100m B.

I saw this on Youtube which shows the muscles being used for each of the strokes..

https://www.youtube.com/v/OTBtx8dkstw&fs=1&source=uds
 Fakey Rocks 15 Apr 2017
In reply to Shani:

Inc means include or increase?
Re Specificity (would be interesting to know whether or not the % of population referring to the pacific ocean when pronouncing derivations of specific is increasing or decreasing, but that's going off topic, and Jonathan ross types are excused)... How do you increase exercise selection, and still call it Specificity? Isn't that becoming less specific?

Prehabilitation seems to be for Pro's or people being coached and for the already injured... at which point the prehab they wish they were doing is now rehab.
Full prehab is a load of extra exercises that would require a fair bit of extra spare time and self discipline to include in a climbers training, but well worth getting to grips with before its too late.
 Shani 15 Apr 2017
In reply to Rock to Fakey:

Inc = including.

Prehab should be mandatory for all. It should address the specific imbalances imbued by your chosen sport, and also imbalances that are a consequence of lifestyle; all that sitting in an office or being hunched over an iPhone does not cone without consequence.

The problems arise over decades. Best address them early. Some simple exercises and movements go a long way and can be slotted in to climbing/daily life.
 Fakey Rocks 15 Apr 2017

When your leg gets better, use of a cross trainer in a gym is good for cardio and low impact on the knees. Cross trainers with cyclical leg action, as opposed to just the feet sliding up and down a rail, i prefer, and cross trainers don't have the arms overhead activity that swimming and climbing share, possibly putting you on a path to Shoulder Impingement Syndrome.
But if you are just swimming whilst off climbing, it could be ok.
I may try some swimming, see how it affects my sis, but thought it wasn't supposed to be ideal for climbers, except we have climbers posting on this thread recommending it, so may be worth a go.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...