UKC

The BMC mystify me sometimes...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Steve nevers 11 Apr 2017

When they do things like this:

https://www.thebmc.co.uk/steve-mcclure-best-crags-raising-your-grade

6 crags, not a single one in the UK.

Surely there must be some good clip-up places in the UK? Or are they admitting that UK sport climbing is a bit sh*t? Or maybe a ploy to get some room at Malham and Portland?

I'm half joking of course,just seems odd that there's not a single place in the UK mentioned by the British-Climb-Mountians-in-the-UK-Council or whatever they are called this week.

Shall we make a UKC suggests British sport list?
Post edited at 14:10
 wbo 11 Apr 2017
In reply to Steve nevers: From the article 'six sizzling holiday destinations' - that ain't going to be Horseshoe Quarry, Giggleswick South, a scruffy quarry in south wales is it

OP Steve nevers 11 Apr 2017
In reply to wbo:

Well, via their Facebook they have posted it as 'where to improve your grade', not the same as the name of the actual article.
They don't seem to have a similar article that covers the UK.
 Tyler 11 Apr 2017
In reply to Steve nevers:

Im mystified why you are mystified.
 ianstevens 11 Apr 2017
> Well, via their Facebook they have posted it as 'where to improve your grade', not the same as the name of the actual article.They don't seem to have a similar article that covers the UK.

Becasue it's designed to flog their Euro Rock Insurance. Details heavily provded at the end of the article.
Post edited at 14:53
 d_b 11 Apr 2017
In reply to Christheclimber:
Nah. A "good tick list" is a list of crags where you can get Lymes disease.
Post edited at 15:50
In reply to davidbeynon:

Just read the article and apologies, it's not a tick list. Not a great article either.....???
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 11 Apr 2017
For what its worth - the Aiguines guide doesn't cover the routes in the main Verdon Gorge, there is a separate book: Verdon 2010, though there may be a newer version,

Chris
Post edited at 16:09
 kevin stephens 11 Apr 2017
In reply to Steve nevers: I'm wondering if your first 6c+ at Verdon will actually be harder than your first 7a+ at Kalymnos?

OP Steve nevers 11 Apr 2017
In reply to kevin stephens:

Tbf to them they have cheekily replied on Facebook that they have suggested euro crags for the soft touch!
 Tyler 11 Apr 2017
> I'm wondering if your first 6c+ at Verdon will actually be harder than your first 7a+ at Kalymnos?

I've just got back from Kalymnos having been comprehensively disabused if this idea!
Post edited at 16:32
In reply to Tyler:

its better if someone puts the clips in for you............
 Tyler 11 Apr 2017
In reply to Neil Carruthers:

I wouldn't know about that, I was there with some feckless cowards so was forced into being my own rope gun!
 FreshSlate 11 Apr 2017
Yeah the whole Kalymnos is soft thing has had it's day. They seem to have a new guide book every other year and these things have been sorted over time. Maybe there are still some soft 8as but generally the 6s and 7s are about average now.
Post edited at 18:03

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...