UKC

Aussie climber travelling the UK

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Swag_Man 15 Apr 2017
Hi Ladies and Gents,

My wife and I are travelling around the UK for the next 6 or so weeks.
I have allowed some extra time to try and get some climbing in:
- Oxford
- Llanberis
- Lakes District
- Edinburgh

Could you guys recommend some places to look up some perspective partners. I only have harness, shoes, and a belay device. Happy to go Bouldering, Sport or Trad climb.

Cheers in Advance.

Haydn

Emilio Bachini 15 Apr 2017
In reply to Swag_Man:

Here's a good place to start.

If you let people know where you'll be and how long for then it'll make it easier for everyone.

Hope you have a good visit, enjoy.
In reply to Swag_Man:

Hi Haydn. Feel free to get in touch (on this thread or a new one on the 'lifts & partners' forum, or via the email option) when/if you fancy the Peak District. Will be happy to arrange days to show you around. Nik
 Kevster 15 Apr 2017
In reply to Swag_Man:

People here quite like a little more profile, so they have an idea of who they are committing to. Hope you get out and enjoy!
 alx 15 Apr 2017
In reply to Swag_Man:
"I have allowed some extra time to try and get some climbing in: - Oxford" there are some seriously big walls there!
Post edited at 19:56
 Fakey Rocks 15 Apr 2017
In reply to Swag_Man:
You might find an indoor wall at oxford. Not sure about much else.
What grades have you recently climbed?
If oxford is a stop off point, from there there's good climbing in Bristol area ( 1.5 hrs) - Avon gorge is in Bristol city (+2 route gyms + 2 bouldering gyms if it rains) + Cheddar is a big attraction but also several other good crags that area. To Portland + Swanage on the south coast. (2.5hrs)

Peak District, Hathersage /Stanage 2.5hrs, North Wales / Llanberis / Yorkshire grit /malham cove etc / Lancs, further still... But they will fit in better with your Northern stopovers, likewise Lakes + Scotland.
Post on the lifts + partners thread.
Post edited at 22:27
 Alex Riley 15 Apr 2017
In reply to Rock to Fakey:

Happy to show you around a bit in North Wales, drop me a message.
 Kemics 16 Apr 2017
In reply to Swag_Man:

Not much in Oxford but happy to show you Bristol and the Wye valley if you can make it here, quality climbing
Swag_Man 17 Apr 2017
Swag_Man:

Thanks for the reply guys.

Rough schedule:
- Oxford 4-6th May
- Llanberis 8-10 May
- Lupton - Cumbria 11-17th May
- Edinburgh - 19 - 24th May

Cheers

Haydn
 MargieB 17 Apr 2017
In reply to Swag_Man:
Well, if you ever get to the Highlands of Scotland there's Brin Rock, Ashe Fort and Moy Rock just around the corner of me in order of difficulty. Brin Rock has many sport climbs. Look up on UK climbing.
I also have self contained accommodation / B&B , Loch Ness, near Inverness. And the airport is close to Inverness
City which is a lovely place. My e-mail is on UK Climbing site under the "profile MargieB." { I can send info}. And since my daughter and husband climb we have some equipment. Might be a hook up there if you fancy it.

I lived in Ozzie for nearly 10 years- Mount Warning area and where they have had those gi-normous floods recently. I looked it up on the internet. The village of Uki, where my husband and I hand- built a house { we have done the same in Scotland} had to be evacuated as the water rose to an all time high- rising 13 metres!!!! I witnessed one cylconic flood but this beat it hands down...

Anyway

Have a nice time in the UK. I loved Oz.

Margie
Post edited at 08:00
Swag_Man 18 Apr 2017
In reply to Swag_Man:

Thanks for all the replies this is great. Sorry i forgot to say what grades i can manage. Here i normally do sport/trad to about 22 which looks like 5b. Still not really across the UK grading system. I can normally boulder up to around v5.

Cheers

Haydn
Swag_Man 18 Apr 2017
In reply to MargieB:

Thanks that sounds great. I think we have most of our accommodation sorted. Air BnB is making a killing.

I'll have to look at how far those crags are from Edinburgh, if i can hire a car and do it as a day trip I would be keen.

Cheers

Haydn
 MargieB 18 Apr 2017
In reply to Swag_Man:
You would be very welcome. Here- have my telephone number on you. it is 01456 486490 or e-mail more directly than the UK climbing site which is a different e-mail address.. My preferred e-mail is elgarbond@yahoo.co.uk. I look at it regularly and there isn't a time delay. I honestly think to make the best of it you would drive the approx 4 hours in the evening on the A9 to Inverness from Edinburgh - its a reasonablly fast dualled highway to the north [ I'm just off the A9- taking a left turn off just before the city of Inverness } . Stay overnight at least. Then the next day you would get the time to do something and make the best of your effort to get to the Highlands. The evenings are lighter up here as the year progresses {more scandinavian} than in England so you'd see the mountainous geography on your drive.

As for climbing difficulty sport climbing is available with our equipment to your level { 5b and V5}at Moy Rock. Brin Rock is harder but you might like that. Best to check and have a look for yourself.

Margie

Margie
Post edited at 09:12
 Doug 18 Apr 2017
In reply to Swag_Man:

If you're in Edinburgh, there is much closer climbing than Inverness, either outcrops or mountain crags. On the way to Inverness you'd pass Dunkeld, Newtonmore (both roadside outcrops) & the Cairngorms (mountains) while Glencoe is a shorter drive than Inverness

But have fun wherever you end up
 spidermonkey09 18 Apr 2017
In reply to Swag_Man:

Can vouch for Haydn, climbed with him in Australia, very competent. In UK trad grades I would tentatively suggest leading HVS/E1 and seconding up to E2/3.
 Jon Stewart 18 Apr 2017
In reply to Swag_Man:

Give us a shout when you're in the Lakes, I'll be keen to get out trad climbing. Just email me through here and I'll let you know which days I'm free.

Jon
 BrendanO 21 Apr 2017
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Hi Haydn!

Other options near Edinburgh are Aberdour sea cliffs (you could do Pain Pillar VS, the local classic), Limekilns, Traprain Law (bit polished in places), and sport crag North Berwick Law which is 20 min on the train from Edinburgh Waverley (the main station). All venues you could go to for a short day if you need to be eating out/ doing holiday stuff with your wife of an evening.

Agree with an earlierpost about Dunkeld (and the village of Dunkeld is great, lovely riverside pub, places to eat, local walks).

Other cheeky option from Edinburgh is cross the border into Northumberland - 90 min drive to Kyloe, Bowden, and a couple of other places - short routes often packing a bit of a punch, very much the local style!

I'm afraid I may be a bit tied up when you visit, but who knows? Plenty of climbing walls in Edinburgh and nearby if weather rubbish or you geta cheeky couple of hours! New one due to open AS YOU ARRIVE (Alien Bloc).

Enjoy your tour!
Swag_Man 04 May 2017
In reply to spidermonkey09:

Thanks mate, still getting my head very confused by your grades

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...