UKC

Tour du Mont Blanc with Kids- any ideas?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 freeheel47 17 Apr 2017

Hello,

We'd like to do as much of the TMB as possible / pleasurable with our kids over 1 week this summer (August) and then go back next year to finish.

We have previously cycle toured with them and camped / stayed in hostels for up to a fortnight (since the little one was 18 months). They are now 8, 12 and 15.

Idea is les Houches- Courmayeur in one week this year them Courmayeur- Chamonix / les Houches the next.

Want to try it very lightweight and stay in huts/ hotels / hostles. No camping gear no tents no cook gear. The clothes we are wearing plus waterproofs plus a warm layer plus (some) pants and silk sleeping bag liners. No ipads!

Anyone done similar? If so any tips on stages? Any issues with ladders? (I did the TMB in 1990/1 and can't remember what they were like - I think there were some in the Aguille Rouges). Would I need to take a shortish rope / crab or two and or ice axe? (I took an ice axe the fist time and it was like many things I took it was totally redundant). Also can anyone suggest and good quality / lightweight kids waterproofs. I can't find any at all. We have a knackered Marmot shell- but the PU coating is rubbish and delaminating and we also have some not very waterproof and heavy Sprayway stuff.

Many thanks

Ed
Post edited at 14:29
 Dave B 17 Apr 2017
In reply to freeheel47:

I've had lots of luck for kids with regatta waterproof clothing. Also their warm soft-shell.

The plan for walking is pretty cost to what is like to do with ours in a few years, so interested in comments as well.

When I did the half as an adult, the only bit I'd be careful of was the snow up to one of the cols. Of course the weather can change very easily and we had snow on our first day. it was v cold and windy and we had to press on fot a bit too take shelter in a top station until it passed. Visibility was about 10m while the storm raged.

We saw plenty of kids walking worth day packs each day worth parents... Doing about 8-10 miles each day. It looked great.

Cheers

robert-hutton 17 Apr 2017
In reply to Dave B:

Done it three times with my son and yes the ladders are at Aguille Rouges but very short and limited exposure, they are avoidable but taking a path above, i only take very light weight waterproofs and have only used them on one mornings but i might be lucky.
I think the Courmayeur- Chamonix half is easier than the
Houches- Courmayeur half and the bus between via the tunnel make it an ideal halfway point.
Loads of families on the route and staying in the refuge's and it's great to see families on the route.
 PeterBlackler 17 Apr 2017
In reply to freeheel47:

Hi Ed

>> Also can anyone suggest and good quality / lightweight kids waterproofs <<

A bit surprised if you haven't already found Decathlon/Quechua for alpine kids stuff? Is pretty unbeatable I think...

Stop here on your way to Cham https://www.decathlon.fr/fr/store?store_id=PS_166

Anywya have a great time. Obviously be aware of the budget for full board with family at the huts...is a bit different to YHA

BR

Pete
 plyometrics 17 Apr 2017
In reply to PeterBlackler:

Another vote for Decathlon. Excellent VFM.
 mike123 18 Apr 2017
In reply to freeheel47:
This is also on my to do with the kids , list. Try sport pursuit for kids Water proofs . Occasionally there are real bargains with mamut , marmot etc at not much more than decathalon prices . I'm currently on the look out for good quality kids sunglasses at a reasonable price . A couple of years ago I got three pairs of kids vuarnets ( pretty sure there weren't fakes) at one of those sell everything French discount shops for a few euros a piece . Obviously they don't last long with kids and with hindsight I'd have got several pairs .
Post edited at 07:34
OP freeheel47 20 Apr 2017

Hello

what I've done so far:

booked huts / B&B in Trient, Trelechamps, les Houches, les Contamines, Col du Croix de la Bonhomme,

emailed Rif Elizabetta and a hotel in Couurmayeur- if these don't work then there is the Cabane Combal and a variety of hotels / rifugios in Courmayeur itself and thereabouts.

If the weather is good I think we will get the panoramic gondola across back to Chamonix (cheesy, expensive but perhaps a once in a lifetime splurge with the kids). If weather pants then the bus.

Just need to book a hotel in Chamonix valley for the last night plus easyjet plus mountain dropoff and done. Mrs freeheel very excited. Kids a little nervous.

Sorting out stuff as really really want to go as light as humanly possible and not die of hypothermia or even be miserable.

Any thoughts about a confidence rope for the Aguillete d'Argentiere ladders????

Will be off to decathlon later today I think. But also wiggle have some nice deals on OMM stuff which looks very nice indeed.
Post edited at 11:33
OP freeheel47 22 Apr 2017
All accommodation booked. Went to Decathlon yesterday for kids waterproofs/ boots as well as sheet sleeping bags. The kids grow and wear stuff out. Have a Wioggle order for some lightweight gear for myself and mrsfreeheel.

Just need flights and transfers.

BOOM.

Tim Davies 23 Apr 2017
In reply to freeheel47:

Transfers from gva to le fayet/ st gervais, try ouibus. I think they also go to the les houches area. Far pleasanter than alpybus et al as it's on a full sized coach.

OP freeheel47 23 Apr 2017
In reply to Tim Davies:

hi
thanks for the tip.

We are starting in Trient- to get ourselves a little out of synch with many parties who start on a weekend in les Houches. Also we get to go to all three counties in 6 days. I have yet to ring mountain dropoffs- their website says no transfers to Trient- but possible to Vallorcine- I'd guess Trient is possible if I speak to a human. There's also the SBB train / bus from GVA- change at Martigny- but that will be CHF200 for the 5 of us and take a good while. also problematic if easyjet late.

Hopefully our gear (waterproofs, warm stuff, spare top, pants, toiletries, sheetsleeping bags, maps etc) will be less than 10kg and more like 8kg for the 5 of us less food / drink. 8 yr old might carry his PJs, wife will have stuff in a vest pack, 13 yr old the waterproofs- about 2kg, 15 yr old the warm stuff- about 3kg, me the hut stuff / spare pants and miscellaneous about 5kg.

I don't think I'll take a confidence rope.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...