/ Compact Systems Cameras

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
andrew549 on 19 Apr 2017
I'm looking at buying new camera and have been looking at getting a csc with a budget of around £500, I've been looking at the sony a6000 but looking to see if anyone has any other recommendations.

Main requirements would be to have a viewfinder, reasonable battery life and manual controls.

Any advice would be great thanks.
The Lemming - on 19 Apr 2017
In reply to andrew549:

I can not comment on your choice of camera, however I can say that I am more than happy moving from a DSLR camera to a micro four thirds camera.

The sensor may be smaller and the cameras lighter but I can not detect any reduction in image quality at all. In fact I love the added bonus of being able to take good quality video as well as good quality images, depending on user skill/stupidity.
Alpenglow - on 19 Apr 2017
In reply to andrew549:

Olympus E-M10 Mark II

Lighter lenses, similar IQ, much wider lens selection
Simonfarfaraway - on 19 Apr 2017
In reply to andrew549:

Agree with Alpenglow, I have the EM10 mark 1, love it
samnbuk on 19 Apr 2017
In reply to andrew549:

I've had the Sony a6000 for about 6 months now and it's performed great!

I shot this on it to (sorry about the dodgy graphics!) :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxv16emQRYo
ERU - on 19 Apr 2017
Everyone on the pro' photo forums seem to be selling their Nikon/Canon gear and buying Fujifilm XT2's. Or some other Fujifilm camera.
ChrisJD on 20 Apr 2017
In reply to andrew549:
I had a Sony A6000 for a while. It was OK, but just didn't like the 'Sony' look of the images and the RAWs just couldn't cope with much editing. (bought and sold it 2nd hand, lost nothing)

Now a Fuji owner and love it.

I'd recommend looking at Oly-Fuji and see what you can get new or 2nd hand for £500.

e.g you should easily pick up a 2nd hand X-T10 & kit lens for less than that or even an X-T1.
Post edited at 10:19
andrew549 on 20 Apr 2017
In reply to ChrisJD:

Thanks for the advice where would you recommend looking for used camera kit.

I was trying to stay on an APS-C size sensor as I've got some old lenses that I was planning on getting an adaptor for.
ChrisJD on 20 Apr 2017
In reply to andrew549:
if you want a bit of certainty/warranty, then places like Warehouse Express and Harrisons Cameras

https://www.harrisoncameras.co.uk/used/used-cameras/?filter=F_BRAND:USED-FUJIFILM;20:F_PRICE:3995

http://www.wexphotographic.com/used-cameras#esp_category_cf=Manufacturer&esp_category_filter_Manufac...

I've not ever had a problem buying 2nd Hand cameras off Ebay. But there is always a first time, lol.
Post edited at 16:39
The Lemming - on 20 Apr 2017
In reply to andrew549:

> Thanks for the advice where would you recommend looking for used camera kit.I was trying to stay on an APS-C size sensor as I've got some old lenses that I was planning on getting an adaptor for.

If you move over to micro four thirds cameras then you could look at a metabones adapter. They could let you use your current lenses with your new camera.
ads.ukclimbing.com
garycrocker - on 20 Apr 2017
In reply to Alpenglow:

Second E-M10. I think Olympus IQ is excellent. My only negative with the small form factor of CSCs is the lack of space for dedicated controls and a tendency for them to be menu driven. Not such an issue on the E-M10 but still more fiddly than on my Canon 7d which is so intuitive and everything falls easily to hand. Still use the Olympus most.
lordyosch - on 22 Apr 2017
In reply to andrew549:

I'm a big fan of my A6000 had it for maybe two years now.
SteveJCox - on 22 Apr 2017
In reply to andrew549:

I've had a fuji X-E1 for a couple of years. Been really happy so far. Good ergonomics, brilliant sensor, good range of lenses and very easy to use
andrew549 on 24 Apr 2017
In reply to andrew549:

Thanks for the suggestions everyone now I just need to find somewhere with them to try in person but I seem to be leaning towards a used x-t1 and kit lens at the moment.
ChrisJD on 24 Apr 2017
In reply to andrew549:

You won't go far wrong with that choice
Blue Straggler - on 14 May 2017
In reply to andrew549:

I am awfully late to this but maybe it's still worth my mentioning that the Fujifilm refurb store is sometimes worth a look.

http://shop.fujifilm.co.uk/digital-cameras/refurbished-digital-cameras?cat=113&p=2

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.