UKC

Cheap alpine trip

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flett 03 May 2017
Looking to do a cheap trip to the Alps this year any tips, recommendations and potential partners will be mucho grateful.
Been to chamonix twice before,looking to do some of the easier grade classics and some long alpine multi pitch stuff.

Thanks
 JayPee630 03 May 2017
In reply to TheFatClimber:

Mer De Glace campsite near Chamonix. Go when prices drop at start of September. When you there? I might be looking for partners too, same kind of goals.
OP Flett 03 May 2017
In reply to JayPee630:

At the moment it looks like end of August/ start of Sept for at least a week, but that could change due to work rotas. Will know for sure in about 4 weeks.
 pec 03 May 2017
If cheapness is what you're after and you're planning on driving then I'g go via Belgium, Luxembourg, back into France, Switzerland (entering at Basel) and on to Chamonix via the Col de la Forclaz from Martigny in the Rhone Valley.

It only takes about 3 hours longer than driving down through France but will save you about £150 in autoroute tolls on the return trip, its all free except one short stretch on the A4 between Metz and Strasbourg.
Also fill up your car in Luxembourg with the cheapest fuel in Western Europe but don't waste time coming off the motorway to avoid service station prices as by law its the same price everywhere in Luxembourg.
Post edited at 20:55
 Dark-Cloud 03 May 2017
In reply to pec:

Don't forget the 40CHF vignette for using the Swiss motorways unless you plan on avoiding them totally which would be a challenge.
 pec 03 May 2017
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

> Don't forget the 40CHF vignette for using the Swiss motorways unless you plan on avoiding them totally which would be a challenge. >

Well there is that, but when I've driven to Chamonix that way I've never actually bought one, I just don't stop on motorway services where it might get spotted
Anyway, at c.£30 you'll still be quids in and if you judge it right to arrive in Luxembourg with an empty tank in each direction you'll save the vignette cost on the fuel savings alone.
 Brass Nipples 03 May 2017

Cycle there with your stuff, get your climbing in, and cycle back.

Roberttaylor 04 May 2017

If you drive you can get by without using campsites. Also, the more time you spend up high the cheaper it gets...lift up, stay three days, lift down etc.

Good luck!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...