UKC

which tent for summit camps

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 buzby 03 May 2017
Looking for some advice and opinions, I've done a fair bit of camping but always been down low and the few overnight summit camps I've done have been in a bivi bag which I hated.
thinking of purchasing a tent for summit camps and wondered what you lot thought might be a good contender.
I found the bivi bag I've got too restrictive and claustrophobic. The tent would obviously have to be lightweight enough to carry up and down along with all the rest of the kit id need but be stable and tough enough to stand all that the Scottish spring, summer and autumn can throw at it.
I'm a bit of a fair weather camper but as we all know it can get nasty up high whatever the forecast suggests.
need something light, tough and roomy enough for one plus kit, but strong enough for mountain top camping.
anyone care to share what you use and find works well.
 d_b 03 May 2017
In reply to buzby:
What's your budget? At the expensive and slightly heavy but bombproof end I have been v happy with a hilleberg akto. The Terra Nova laserlite is a similar design that gets a lot of love.

The akto has survived force 9 winds, gusting to 10 but I didn't get a lot of sleep that night.
Post edited at 19:35
OP buzby 03 May 2017
In reply to davidbeynon:

Hi David, I was thinking of around the £500 mark but would possibly go a bit more for the right tent as I plan on using it a lot , I also wouldn't rule out the 2nd hand market if the right tent came along at a decent price.
 bouldery bits 03 May 2017
In reply to buzby:

If you don't need freestanding - Akto.

Bombproof.
Removed User 04 May 2017
In reply to bouldery bits:

> If you don't need freestanding - Akto.

> Bombproof.

Another thumbs-up for the Akto from me, especially if you can get hold of another pole to double up in rough weather. Mine's survived 60+mph winds.
 wilkesley 04 May 2017
In reply to buzby:

Depends on how much wind you are prepared to camp in! I used my Zephyros 2 on the summit of Moel Siabod when it was windy enough to blow my daughter over. The tent was fine, but we didn't get any sleep because of the noise. I have now got a Superlight Voyager. The only time this has failed me was on the summit of Moelwyn Mawr. I ignored the MWIS thunderstorms and high winds warnings. About 3am, following a thunderstorm directly overhead, it was so windy that the poles were being pushed in, although all the pegs and guys were fine. I packed away in torrential rain and ran for the valley. The tent was undamaged when I pitched it at home.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...