UKC

Bamford restrictions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Lukem6 21 May 2017
Bamford Edge

Anyone know if theres any stanage/bamford restrictions on. Bmc has 2016 info up still.?
 olddirtydoggy 21 May 2017
In reply to Lukem6:

It is open
 deepsoup 21 May 2017
In reply to olddirtydoggy:
> It is open

Actually no. The estate have closed it temporarily as they usually do about this time of year, because they can. Restrictions don't apply to public rights of way (so don't affect climbing at Stanage or Derwent edges), or at weekends - but strictly speaking Bamford is out of bounds on weekdays until after 14th June.

Here's a link: http://www.openaccess.naturalengland.org.uk/OasysStatic/ViewRestrictionDocu...

I'm not entirely sure that will work, but if it doesn't putting "Bamford Moor" in the search box here will lead to it: http://www.openaccess.naturalengland.org.uk/
 olddirtydoggy 21 May 2017
In reply to Lukem6:

Odd, we were on it just last week. He might be right reading that.
 deepsoup 21 May 2017
In reply to olddirtydoggy:
They usually post copies of that flyer thing at the access points - next to the layby where most folks park for Bamford, on the style where the path over to Stanage North leaves the A57. Possibly the ladder styles where the paths to High Neb leave the Causeway. I've not been up there in the last few weeks so don't know if that's the case this year.

The ban is pretty arbitrary, and it seems a lot of people do ignore it. Hopefully they'll play nice and leave in the unlikely event they do get challenged by a keeper. It's probably more annoying for the landowner (and more of a worry from an access point of view) that so many climbers ignore the year-round dog ban and take their pooches up to Bamford.
Post edited at 12:31
 cragtyke 21 May 2017
In reply to deepsoup:
Thie is what's on the RAD at the moment

Stanage from High Neb westwards (and Bamford Edge, Moscar, Derwent & Hallam Moors) will be closed for land management reasons, as allowed under the CRoW Act (2000) during the following dates in 2016:

9th - 27th May
31st May - 3rd June
6th - 10th June
Full details of the areas affected can be found on the Natural England notice map here: www.thebmc.co.uk/Handlers/DownloadHandler.ashx?id=1370

These closures do not affect public rights of way which remain open or the concessionary paths to Stanage.
 deepsoup 21 May 2017
In reply to cragtyke:
> Thie is what's on the RAD at the moment..

Indeed. The RAD is currently out of date, those are last years dates.

They seem to have been having a few technical problems with the RAD lately (or is that just the app?) Or perhaps it's just another bit of business as usual that got neglected while everyone was scrambling to deal with that bloody stupid MoNC.

Whatever it is, the dates for the *2017* annual 'just because we can' closure are as follows:

11th to 26th May, 30th and 31st May
1st and 2nd June, 5th to 9th June and
12th to 14th June

> "Full details of the areas affected can be found on the Natural England notice map"

The Natural England notice map was the source for last year's closure dates on the RAD (as it has been for previous years), and *this* year's Natural England notice map is my source for the dates above.
(That link again: http://www.openaccess.naturalengland.org.uk/OasysStatic/ViewRestrictionDocu... )

I've clicked the "report a page issue" link to let the RAD elves know the page could do with updating, hopefully they'll get around to it soon. But in the meantime I'm not just making this stuff up y'know, honest.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...